Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Okay, now that I have your attention, my point is that happiness doesn't suck it's the desire for happiness that sucks.

Like in the bible where it says (by the way I am a LONG time atheist) that money is the root of all evil; where it actually says the desire for money is the root of all evil. Same with happiness. Too many people think the purpose of life is to be happy. It isn't. We're here to learn our earthy lessons. If you don't know where to look..... follow your pain.

I think being content is the answer, as happiness can come and go while being content can be a permanent or at least a semi-permanent state of mind.

All you need to be content is acceptance (of everything) and appreciation of what you have, not what you don't have.

I've had 43 surgeries, deaths within my immediate family not from illness and more awful stuff. People who hear my story think I should be miserable, but I'm not. I'm content.
You sound like a Buddhist; it's the desire for things, the clinging to things, whether status, money, an image of a happy life, or whatever, that's the source of suffering. If you can reach "contentment", you're doing well! Congratulations, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 02:16 PM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Happiness is kind of a drug. Once you have gotten it, you need more of it.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:15 PM

53 posts, read 24,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Certainly experience is a good teacher, but compared to books? No contest.
I like how you modified the often quoted proverb to be "good teacher" instead of "best teacher". That phrase is used to inform the consequences of a mistake made due to ignorance beforehand. Under those circumstances, experience is the "worst teacher".

Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,187,380 times
Somehow, happiness doesn't seem as bad as all the alternatives. But sometimes it is nice to put a snarky comment in a forum anyway.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 AM

115 posts, read 61,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
We're here to learn our earthy lessons.

For what purpose though? We learn it and then what?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,791,304 times
Happiness is temporary and generally depends on one's circumstances, other people or inner feelings at the moment. Contentment (like joy) is lasting and comes from something or someone greater than ever-changing feelings, people and unpredictable circumstances.

Some of the unhappiest people I know are the wealthy who can have whatever they want, ... and discover that isn't enough; money cannot buy lasting peace and contentment to their hearts.

Many (like me) have a peace that passes all understanding. It does not come and go depending on things that change, but, rests confidently in the unchanging power, love and grace of God. You may say, "but, I don't believe in that." That's your choice, but, do you have lasting contentment in your life? I do.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,008,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Happiness is temporary and generally depends on one's circumstances, other people or inner feelings at the moment. Contentment (like joy) is lasting and comes from something or someone greater than ever-changing feelings, people and unpredictable circumstances.

Some of the unhappiest people I know are the wealthy who can have whatever they want, ... and discover that isn't enough; money cannot buy lasting peace and contentment to their hearts.

Many (like me) have a peace that passes all understanding. It does not come and go depending on things that change, but, rests confidently in the unchanging power, love and grace of God. You may say, "but, I don't believe in that." That's your choice, but, do you have lasting contentment in your life? I do.
What you have may also be self-delusion. That may seem like peace, but may also simply be chosen blindness. No one can know the inner state of another. Not saying that is definitely you, but it is a possibility. But there is no requirement for invention of a deity as a pre-requisite for happiness or contentment. Indeed, some of the most vicious and contemptible human beings on the face of the Earth right now profess the strongest commitment to their chosen and personally designed deity. Our armed forces deal with them daily. And many in the southern United States deal with them also, such as the young earth creationists and other obvious malcontents.

In fact, I would say that implicit unhappiness is in direct proportion to conscious expression of mysticism. Is there anyone more visibly unhappy than fundamentalists? Those that poke about asserting that one must be "saved". Quite an unhappy bunch, and they also seem to be desperately in need of controlling others and making declarations. And all without evidence and all of it based on some desperate inner emptiness.

Nonetheless an unsettled and periodic happiness based on consonance with reality is superior to a false contentment based on avoidance of reality.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 02-27-2019 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 09:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
What you have may also be self-delusion. That may seem like peace, but may also simply be chosen blindness. No one can know the inner state of another. Not saying that is definitely you, but it is a possibility. But there is no requirement for invention of a deity as a pre-requisite for happiness or contentment. Indeed, some of the most vicious and contemptible human beings on the face of the Earth right now profess the strongest commitment to their chosen and personally designed deity. Our armed forces deal with them daily. And many in the southern United States deal with them also, such as the young earth creationists and other obvious malcontents.

In fact, I would say that implicit unhappiness is in direct proportion to conscious expression of mysticism. Is there anyone more visibly unhappy than fundamentalists? Those that poke about asserting that one must be "saved". Quite an unhappy bunch, and they also seem to be desperately in need of controlling others and making declarations. And all without evidence and all of it based on some desperate inner emptiness.

Nonetheless an unsettled and periodic happiness based on consonance with reality is superior to a false contentment based on avoidance of reality.
Self-delusion and reality avoidance are only meaningful if one is doing everything in one's own head and depending only on one's self. Your arguments are broad generalizations attempting to prop-up a disbelief in what you do not understand.

There is sufficient and significant evidence for the reality of Almighty God (both empirical and otherwise) for anyone who chooses to open their eyes to it. This is about God, not about religion (ie; what other people do or do not do). The latter is only a reflection of human inconsistency, while the former is a timeless reality beyond our own. God's inspired Word of Truth (which, sadly, so many foolishly denigrate), addresses this:

(Romans 1:18-20) "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,008,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Self-delusion and reality avoidance are only meaningful if one is doing everything in one's own head and depending only on one's self. Your arguments are broad generalizations attempting to prop-up a disbelief in what you do not understand.

There is sufficient and significant evidence for the reality of Almighty God (both empirical and otherwise) for anyone who chooses to open their eyes to it. This is about God, not about religion (ie; what other people do or do not do). The latter is only a reflection of human inconsistency, while the former is a timeless reality beyond our own. God's inspired Word of Truth (which, sadly, so many foolishly denigrate), addresses this:

(Romans 1:18-20) "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
There is no evidence of “timeless reality beyond our own”. Further, your argument is again circular and has no power as a claim of truth. I reject any “word of truth” furnished to me by a man based on claims and assertions as to the will of something that we have no evidence even exists. Your assertions are circular gibberish and have no explanatory power.

“It’s true because I read it in a book that contains the truth” doesn’t cut it for me, and shouldn’t cut it for you. It’s absurd to cite one fallible book written by fallible men that is self-contradictory, and base your whole world view on circular incoherent non-reasoning. I expect more from an adult American citizen in 2019 in an age of such fantastic knowledge. Much more. You’re going to have to up your game way beyond mystical quotes.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 02-28-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,614,475 times
What's happiness anyways? A fleeting moment or two. Traditionally based, the degree, the house, the car, the "position," blah, blah. Happiness in that definition is "getting what you want." Meaningfulness is much more rich and full and will be w/ you even during hard times is how I look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy