Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 04:59 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,529,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
There are people who die in their sleep. There are people who suddenly drop dead from massive heart atacks...seemingly no time for pain. They were walking along, and then they dropped.

So...to answer the question, death...or on-coming death is not always painful.
My parents. Mom in her sleep, dad quick heart attack. I'd take either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 07:14 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why do most ways of dying seem to involve so much physical suffering? Whether it’s a long, agonizing disease, or an extremely violent auto accident, or other terrible things like drowning, falling from a high location, burning to death, or being brutally murdered.

Is it possible to die without experiencing any pain at all? Mod cut.
BTW, sorry for sounding morbid, but if your time was up and you could choose the way you would die, how would it be?

Moderator caution: If this thread turns into a discussion about how to commit suicide it will be shut down and removed from the forum.
Because, OP, you don't hear about the scads of cases, in which people go peacefully in their sleep.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM

6,379 posts, read 3,859,743 times
Well, it's probably because death doesn't tend to occur randomly for no reason. Bodies can be pretty resilient, so it can often take some major damage to make them quit functioning permanently... which is not going to be pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is simply not true. Body can take only so much pain. Then it goes into pain shock, safeguards turn on, and intelligence in the body does not suffer anymore. I was almost killed once by a vehicle related accident and I can tell you one thing - with face disfigured by agricultural equipment that made my body fly some 5 meters in the air, I suffered from no pain. Just dull ache. Pain came next day, after surgery. But even then it was by far nothing major you describe.

I feel, you made an assumption and are creating a phobia based on it.
Well, since someone above described a heart attack as feeling like "having a branding iron shoved through my chest," then yes, it does sound like people can experience intense pain. You didn't. You're lucky. That doesn't mean other people don't.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why do most ways of dying seem to involve so much physical suffering? Whether it’s a long, agonizing disease, or an extremely violent auto accident, or other terrible things like drowning, falling from a high location, burning to death, or being brutally murdered.

Is it possible to die without experiencing any pain at all? Mod cut.
BTW, sorry for sounding morbid, but if your time was up and you could choose the way you would die, how would it be?
As someone whose greatest fear of death is the lack of conscious, lack of awareness, lack of self, lack of being - I'm geared to avoid suffering and avoid risky situations.

I've flown 30+ round trips, but don't necessarily love the idea of air travel. I'm not planning on taking any more flights for the rest of my life.

I don't bungee jump or skydive.

I don't drive recklessly at double the speed limit regardless of traffic or lack thereof.

Just live carefully, don't trap yourself, stay away from seedy areas.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:06 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,289,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
As someone whose greatest fear of death is the lack of conscious, lack of awareness, lack of self, lack of being - I'm geared to avoid suffering and avoid risky situations.

I've flown 30+ round trips, but don't necessarily love the idea of air travel. I'm not planning on taking any more flights for the rest of my life.

I don't bungee jump or skydive.

I don't drive recklessly at double the speed limit regardless of traffic or lack thereof.

Just live carefully, don't trap yourself, stay away from seedy areas.
This is me in a a nutshell. Although I will still fly.
The seedy areas bit is funny considering how many middle class people actually BUY PROPERTY in seedy areas in the name of equity.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,533,507 times
The ways you describe are bad, but it's not nearly as bad as people who waste away and die of old age. At least they are quick.
But to answer your question, of course there are easy ways to go, many people go to sleep and just never wake up.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 PM

1,417 posts, read 725,268 times
My doctor has a list of his top 10 ways to go. I think kidney failure was in his top 3. He said you just get drowsy and sort of pass.

He did tell me dying in your sleep is likely horrific. As he explained it you likely are very aware you are not breathing or your heart is not beating and you just cannot manage to get those apparatus to work, panic sets in but your body is likely paralyzed, so what we think to be passing peacefully in your sleep is likely a fairly slow suffocation taking place in a body that is paralyzed with the victim very aware.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 03-27-2019 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 11:27 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,811,404 times
I knew a woman who died in screaming pain from cancer. There are cancers like that. Part of the problem is doctors can't give you enough morphine or whatever for the pain because then they'd be overdosing you.

On the other hand, my dad died from emphysema. Basically, his brain received less and less oxygen until it shut down. He just went to sleep one night and went into a coma and died painlessly a couple days after that.

If you die suddenly in a car accident or something like that, I imagine you wouldn't even know what happened.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
My doctor has a list of his top 10 ways to go. I think kidney failure was in his top 3. He said you just get drowsy and sort of pass.

He did tell me dying in your sleep is likely horrific. As he explained it you likely are very aware you are not breathing or your heart is not beating and you just cannot manage to get those apparatus to work, panic sets in but your body is likely paralyzed, so what we think to be passing peacefully in your sleep is likely a fairly slow suffocation taking place in a body that is paralyzed with the victim very aware.
Agonal breathing. Enough said.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:52 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,711,598 times
I was a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years and part of my job was dealing with end of life issues. I remember this poor woman dying of cancer on a ventilator and her husband not allowing any kind of sedation because he was afraid it would kill her. She suffered immensely until she died. My SIL died from pancreatic cancer and it was horrendous. I had a dear friend die from lung cancer in her 50's. I moved in with them on Easter weekend because she wanted to die at home. She was comfortable until the end. My FIL dropped dead walking in the woods with his wife. He didn't even know what hit him. I remember an AIDS patient on hospice at work. His tube feeding was stopped and he was given no water. It took almost three weeks for him to go. It was horrendous.

I've had to do terminal weans (turning off life support and removing breathing tubes). I've done so many I've lost count. Some of them were pretty bad if the patient wasn't adequately sedated, but most of them were peaceful.

Every ending is different. You just deal with the cards you are dealt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy