Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 04:24 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times

Advertisements

Some people feel empowered by prayer. If they pray to accept some major problem and they are able to accept it, they feel their prayer has been answered. They feel like they have a pipeline to a power greater than themselves that helps them when they need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If you want to pray, by all means, do so. My point, as an atheist (in the here and now), is prayer (or asking 'serenity') isn't acceptance. It's the belief a higher being exists who has the power to change things (or to grant us serenity, for that matter). How is that acceptance, and how can it change our lives in terms of philosophy, or the thread?

It doesn't; prayer is simply religion. We must find our own 'serenity' and acceptance (and consider what is/isn't worth fighting for). It begins with asking our own questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 08:52 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Some people feel empowered by prayer. If they pray to accept some major problem and they are able to accept it, they feel their prayer has been answered. They feel like they have a pipeline to a power greater than themselves that helps them when they need it.
If they feel empowered by prayer (and they want to pray), then so be it. My point is simply religion/prayer is quite different than acceptance of that which is undeniable and certain i.e. 'it is what it is' (and our ability to come to terms with it).

Old 09-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
If they feel empowered by prayer (and they want to pray), then so be it. My point is simply religion/prayer is quite different than acceptance of that which is undeniable and certain i.e. 'it is what it is' (and our ability to come to terms with it).
Maybe. But maybe not. Many people who pray, don't pray for acceptance and they don't get it. They may go to church, but spend years resenting things that have happened to them. If you pray for acceptance you want it, so are likely to get it.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:08 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
My husband, the natural zen master, used to tell me to go into the bathroom and un-plug his electric razor when I got upset. At first, I was like, WTF? Then, he eventually explained that I needed to un-plug myself (I.e. be more detached). The advice worked, eventually.

So, “un-plug” for me.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:35 PM

691 posts, read 641,168 times
One word that can change a person's life - GUILTY

Old 09-12-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe. But maybe not. Many people who pray, don't pray for acceptance and they don't get it. They may go to church, but spend years resenting things that have happened to them. If you pray for acceptance you want it, so are likely to get it.
I disagree with the bolded - acceptance is a conscious thought (regardless of whether prayer precedes it or not); it's the Philosophy Forum as opposed to R&S. ;-)

Old 09-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I disagree with the bolded - acceptance is a conscious thought (regardless of whether prayer precedes it or not); it's the Philosophy Forum as opposed to R&S. ;-)
It's probably more psychology than either religion or philosophy. Acceptance has to be renewed on a constant basis. Like staying sober if you are an alcoholic.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
ACCEPTANCE

It's changed my life, and I hope that it may change yours. It's very hard to accept whatever this life has to throw at you, but acceptance of both the "good" and the "bad" can really make a big difference in one's life.

Try it out and see if it helps.
It works for some people. For me, I find it a passive cop-out.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It's probably more psychology than either religion or philosophy. Acceptance has to be renewed on a constant basis. Like staying sober if you are an alcoholic.
I agree as to how it's been approached by the OP (and several in the thread relative to prayer) it is more psychology, religion - or even behavior. I simply attempted to steer the discussion into a more philosophical/inquisitive one i.e. acceptance is a conscious thought which involves both reasoning and knowledge (as opposed to the all-too-common one-dimensional posts), seeing as how it's a philosophy forum.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 09-13-2020 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-14-2020, 08:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
For ME, I think the word was CHOICE. It was kind of an epiphany for me. Free will.

It came to me when a guy had wrote me a note, telling me he didn't want to see me again, because I wasn't his body type. I was crushed and embarassed, and in my head I thought "But I can't help the shape I am." But right after THAT thought, another thought popped in my head "But it IS my choice. No one can change me, but me."

And I found that to be really really liberating.

A LOT of stuff happens to us, that are truly out of the blue...but a LOT of what happens to us are the natural consequences of actions we've taken or not taken. It was truly our choice. Maybe it was a bad choice...but it was one I made...and the consequence is what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy