Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 04:43 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

I'd avoid going to fast food joints ever again in the future. Come to think of it, I'm already past that point! I mean, you're getting junky food served by not the smartest of folks. And you're going to trust eating that?!?

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-17-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 04:53 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
In direct answer to the question, I am a good witch.

Philosophically speaking, if I cheat my merchants and they go out of business, where does that leave me?

Old 08-17-2021, 08:44 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have driven off with wrong orders delivered to me in bags at the drive thru that may or may not have been larger than my original order. Not ever going to go to the trouble of going back after take off.

But, if this happened at the window, I would certainly not accept a beverage or any other item I didn’t order and pay for.
That^^.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:44 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
I’ve come to the conclusion that being dishonest is not in my make up (except of course to save the lives of my kids, etc.). It hurts me to be dishonest and I don’t like that feeling. It just doesn’t occur to me.

I use a grocery delivery service since Covid, and there were three little teardrop shaped fabric softener/air freshener thingies in on bag - I immediately got on the phone to tell the service I got someone else’s items. They said to just keep them. (??).

Of course no one is perfectly honest, we all lie frequently without even knowing it. I’ve made serious mistakes in my life - would not have done if I realized I was making a grave mistake… but I muddle through.

My grandmother told me a story of living through the depression. My mum was 4-5, and the middle class family lost everything, ending up living in a trailer and working for a circus in Oklahoma. My grandad, a chemical engineer, shoveled elephant poop and worked the tents, etc. and my grandmother took the tickets, tearing them in half.

She cooked for the family (which included, my mom, grandpa, grandma, grandpa’s brother, someone’s cousin - the trailer was tiny. (Hipsters would salivate over it now… sorry hipsters, I’m kidding).

Every meal was drab, bleak and the same thing again and again. One day - my grandmother stole an onion. She stole an onion! She so desperately wanted to feed everyone something that tasted good.

The guilt burdened her for her entire life. I have a couple of similar instances, but I was so struck by how bad she felt.

Lying, cheating, stealing etc. hurts the one doing it probably more than anyone else - it metastasizes.

I like to sleep at night. But I goof up like we all do.

I have had a few moments, though wondering if prison would be better than homelessness. I can’t think of anyth8ng I could do that would be bad enough - without hurting anyone - that I could age out with at least a little food, shelter and marginal medical care. Maybe if things get bleak enough… I don’t see it. I couldn’t do anything horrible. Except if my adult children or my puppy’s lives were at risk if I didn’t. That’s the only instance i might be capable of anything.

Lying, cheating, stealing, harming others - is something I just don’t get. People who do it (not for survival) but with aplomb are not people I understand.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:06 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulvaterry View Post
Please be truthful.

Last week I went through the drivethru at Burger King.
I ordered with a BK coupon, 2 Whopper Jr's and 2 Fries. That was all I ordered and thats all the coupon declared.
After payment, I drove up to the next window and the friendly person was putting kechup and napkins in the bag..... And, then asked me was that a medium coke or a large.. Of which, I replied: LARGE...

How would you have responded?
"Just some ice water, please."

Old 08-18-2021, 05:12 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Somehow getting a free soda at a fast food drive through doesn’t motivate me into some deep philosophical discussion about dishonesty.
Exactly. I would have just assumed I was getting a free drink. A special of which I was unaware. Lol

Old 08-18-2021, 09:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Please be truthful.

I ordered with a BK coupon, 2 Whopper Jr's and 2 Fries. That was all I ordered and thats all the coupon declared.
After payment, I drove up to the next window and the friendly person was putting kechup and napkins in the bag..... And, then asked me was that a medium coke or a large.. Of which, I replied: LARGE...

I would have said, "I didn't order a Coke," but only because BK doesn't have Coke products I like. So yeah, I would have taken the free Coke otherwise.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:38 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Please be truthful.

People tend to be naturally dishonest or think 'what's the harm' if they believe a large corporation (such as Burger King) will suffer as a result of their 'lucky' gain as opposed to a specific person. In other words (hypothetically), if you thought/knew the person who was handing you the large coke (in error) had to pay for it (literally or figuratively), would you still take the large?

Old 08-18-2021, 08:51 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
I walked past a $10 bill on the sidewalk last week.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 AM

10,828 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I walked past a $10 bill on the sidewalk last week.

i am going to follow you around for now on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy