Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 08:53 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

I have absolutely NO desire to come back and do this again, so I hope it's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 12:01 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
I know that I wouldn't want to return as a cockroach.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:32 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have absolutely NO desire to come back and do this again, so I hope it's not true.
I'm with you on that, that's part of my scare!

If the world ends in a nuclear holocaust, wouldn't that put an end to the idea of Reincarnation?

Old 04-24-2022, 04:03 AM

855 posts, read 624,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If the world ends in a nuclear holocaust, wouldn't that put an end to the idea of Reincarnation?
Only if this world were the only one in existence, which I personally doubt.

-

Old 04-24-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have a friend who was flatlined for over ten minutes and came back to describe everything she "saw" (with her eyes closed) and what she heard in the room after she was clinically dead.

MN has the miraculous "frozen woman" who was found one winter night at twenty-two below. She'd been outside for six hours and was frozen solid.

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/ger...e-after-death/

I imagine you can restart a heart and pump lungs to give the appearance of life but how do you get consciousness to come back to a dead body? There has been in the spiritual and quantum-knowledgeable communities considerable discussion of consciousness as being connected to a sort of universal hive mind in which we carry genetic memory, archetypes, innate universal knowledge.

Just this spring German scientists have announced they are performing the unthinkable experiment:

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/ger...e-after-death/

I wouldn't claim for a moment to be sure what happens after death but I venture to say that if these experiments are for real it's about as good of news as one could expect.

Since so far I believe it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience I hope to be lucid enough to pay attention.

Edited to add:

I can't say the thought of existing in a conscious state indefinitely, even if I'm comfortable, is appealing. But who's to say that the belief that we're just gone after death is any less wishful thinking than the thought we'll live in paradise?

We are beings who can't stand the thought that we don't have control over our lives.
While I do believe that people have had experiences after being officially dead and brought back, the site cited above is satirical in nature: https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/disclaimer_/
"WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle."

-

Old 04-24-2022, 09:28 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Oh, thanks, Kophi. And such embarrassment on my part. The name of the site sent up a red flag with me but since I was already familiar with the MN woman, Jean Hilliard, I ignored it to my regret.

I have no doubt that if people can be put to death and resucitated , somewhere someone is already doing it. But I was certainly careless in my choice of references and I doubt a valid one can be found.

Count me as one of the gullible gotchas this morning.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:01 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Oh, thanks, Kophi. And such embarrassment on my part. The name of the site sent up a red flag with me but since I was already familiar with the MN woman, Jean Hilliard, I ignored it to my regret.

I have no doubt that if people can be put to death and resucitated , somewhere someone is already doing it. But I was certainly careless in my choice of references and I doubt a valid one can be found.

I think we've all been there. Don't stress it.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Please don't worry about it! Satire can be very hard to detect, especially in written format. Sometimes I have to search for a disclaimer at the site in question before I can know for sure.

Like I said, the whole being 100% dead while retaining awareness is reportedly a thing, so it stands on its own even apart from that. Your friend's testimony is one example of that. It's a fascinating subject.

-

Old 04-24-2022, 02:30 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post

Like I said, the whole being 100% dead while retaining awareness is reportedly a thing, so it stands on its own even apart from that. Your friend's testimony is one example of that. It's a fascinating subject.

-

It is, isn't it? I have no idea what it means other than we don't have an accurate understanding yet of what "death" means.

Someone frozen so stiff for so long that they couldn't start an IV really raises some questions.

And I think about those people who have laid in comas for years who have come back to report that they were aware of what was going on around them - now that is truly terrifying.

No wonder loved ones are afraid to pull the plug.

And have we finally solved the question of where consciousness lies? The assumption is that it is in our brains but I'm not sure if that has been scientifically established yet.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It is, isn't it? I have no idea what it means other than we don't have an accurate understanding yet of what "death" means.

Someone frozen so stiff for so long that they couldn't start an IV really raises some questions.

And I think about those people who have laid in comas for years who have come back to report that they were aware of what was going on around them - now that is truly terrifying.

No wonder loved ones are afraid to pull the plug.

And have we finally solved the question of where consciousness lies? The assumption is that it is in our brains but I'm not sure if that has been scientifically established yet.
Yeah, I'm not sure consciousness is just all in our brains (all in our heads? ).

The fact that people can still be conscious and aware when their brains go kaput leaves me thinking we use our brains like we use our computers. Like the computer, the brain is useful, but it's not the be-all and end-all of who we are. Perhaps it's just a tool we use, and for which there are (apparently) alternatives in the event that it ceases to function.

As it is, mine doesn't work until I've had my first coffee in the morning...

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy