Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:16 AM

11,750 posts, read 14,559,260 times

Advertisements

Does the idea of reincarnation scare me? No more than the idea that it might hurt while I'm being cremated, or that I might get a broken toe if they drop my coffin.

No, it is so clear that our entire experience of existence--thoughts, emotions, hopes, pleasures, pains--are the result of the activities and stimuli of our physical body, including our brain, that there is no reason to think that there is any entity that survives after we die. As Mark Twain (I think) observed, there is no reason to think that my experience after I die will be any different from the billions of years before I was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 11:26 AM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times
I don't believe reincarnation is likely, but I suppose there's a remote possibility...
I don't think about it, so it doesn't scare me.

If anything, I have been through it a bunch of times (one psychic told me I'm an "old soul" and have been reincarnated 495 times. I don't particularly believe in psychics, either), and here I am again.

Maybe you're a "new soul" (I have no idea how that works. Is there a soul factory or something?) so you're not as comfortable with the transition as those of us who have spiraled through the cosmic wheel many times.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:33 AM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How could you possibly know that?
That's how religion works.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:32 PM

11,900 posts, read 8,221,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Does the idea of reincarnation scare me? No more than the idea that it might hurt while I'm being cremated, or that I might get a broken toe if they drop my coffin.

No, it is so clear that our entire experience of existence--thoughts, emotions, hopes, pleasures, pains--are the result of the activities and stimuli of our physical body, including our brain, that there is no reason to think that there is any entity that survives after we die. As Mark Twain (I think) observed, there is no reason to think that my experience after I die will be any different from the billions of years before I was born.
Here's some information that may have you scratching your head and not thanking me. Read about the Zeno Effect:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=experiment...watched&ia=web

These are verified scientific experiments done by quantum physicists that indicate that quantum particles do not perform the same when they are being observed as they do when they are not being measured. Does that mean they are conscious? What in them knows when they are being observed?

I find this absolutely intriguing and well worth consideration for everyone who ponders what being alive means.

I believe all the pooh-poohing of what ancient Hindu knowledge presented as religion will some day be recognized and proved to be innate knowledge by the very scientists who scorned religion. In fact the number of physics scientists (a lot of Hindus, by the way) who have adopted devout attitudes toward their work has become an indication that there is some, so far inexplainable, greater force at work.

No it doesn't "prove religion." Religion, I think, is a system for expressing an innate knowledge that something beyond our control is creating order out of chaos. It's just that some people intuit a greater force and others want it proved. Hence science vs. religion, flip sides of the same coin.

I'm not clear on this in a couple of paragraphs. It would take a very long discussion to fill in the gaps on my perspective.

We all live in the same world just see and describe it from different angles. The six blind men and the elephant!

Old 04-25-2022, 12:39 PM

10,944 posts, read 6,982,277 times
Reincarnation would only scare or trouble you if you live a rotten and troubled life. If so, change it now, in the definite of the present, which will benefit you and others now. If there's another reincarnated life, that would also benefit. There's an opportunity for win-win, if you want. But worry and uncertainty are big these days. Some would rather worry than change their life.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-25-2022 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-25-2022, 01:44 PM

8,076 posts, read 6,833,624 times
The idea of reincarnation does not scare me at all because I do not believe in it.
I've taken the idea and dismantled and put it back together again many times. The conclusion I ultimately came up with is that reincarnation is a failed concept and is false. The main reason being is that it completely and utterly disrespects love. It says that love does not matter. Love is not important. Love is meaningless. That love is ALWAYS in vain.

And the exact opposite is true.
Love does matter.
Love is important.
Love is meaningful.
Love is NEVER in vain. ever. We do not see the whole picture now.

Love is the most powerful thing there is.
God IS love.

There is no need for reincarnation.
All lives lived will teach us something.
From the very small to the very great and everything and everyone in between.
The books of life....
Reincarnation is absolutely unnecessary.
I believe it to be a very shallow view. A view that has come about by those seeking an "easy" answer to life's tough questions. But the easy answer only gives you far more questions when you actually sit and ponder. I do believe that the idea of reincarnation is a good path to follow down, in order to find truth. I do not begrudge anyone from any path that ultimately LEADS to truth. Reincarnation is one of those paths. We're all in this together.

I understand others have different thoughts and different paths.
This is just mine.
Peace.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:14 PM

21,392 posts, read 12,550,670 times
One needn't live a "rotten" life through any fault of his or her own to nonetheless be living an unhappy (or uncomfortable) life and not care to repeat it. Luck doesn't shine equally on everyone, unfortunately.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:16 PM

705 posts, read 1,283,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
That's how religion works.
It's a long story, and has nothing to do with religion

Old 04-25-2022, 05:02 PM

6,378 posts, read 3,853,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, many do believe in nonsensical rules relative to reaching an afterlife (of any sort); it’s called religion.:-)
Right, but there are a lot of different schools of thought when it comes to reincarnation. And in many, it's all about how you comport yourself in the current life, or about things your soul needs to learn, or whatever. But I'm sure there are some who also believe it's basically a crapshoot-- that each life isn't a result of the last or of your own choice or needs or whatever, but completely random. A person might be fine with their next life being difficult if they believe it's for some reason and/or if they believe they could prevent it, but maybe not so much if they're comfortable in this life but know that in the next one they could be starving in a war zone with significant disabilities and no family or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
One's "consciousness sticking around" isn't the only thing to fear from quickie cremation, embalming, burial, or organ donation. Waking up in the middle of it/being declared dead when you're not isn't unheard or even all that uncommon! I'm a fan of the old-fashioned three-day wake, myself.
Yes, that as well, though I was running under the assumption of the person being all dead, rather than mostly dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Maybe you're a "new soul" (I have no idea how that works. Is there a soul factory or something?) so you're not as comfortable with the transition as those of us who have spiraled through the cosmic wheel many times.
Or possibly have been around so many times they're sick of it!

Old 04-25-2022, 05:22 PM

8,433 posts, read 3,695,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Reincarnation would only scare or trouble you if you live a rotten and troubled life.
How so? Do you believe there is some sort of reincarnation jury/judge or soul distributor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Some would rather worry than change their life.
Yeah, they worry about the one life they have (relative to an afterlife) instead of simply being conscious today. They cling to the hope that, in some way or another, it will be better next time around - if one is ‘good enough’; when, in actuality, morality is (only) relative/beneficial to our place in society (and among our friends/family) in the here and now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy