Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 05:30 PM

12,620 posts, read 8,842,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I think the recent surge in hostility began with the non-accountability of social media and was exacerbated by the pandemic, but it was also fueled by the behavior of our politicians and journalists who like to fan the flames every chance they get.
BING BING BING we have a winner. Started seeing this during 2008. Grew slowly over the next eight years and then exploded in 2016. Has just completely fallen off the rails in the last couple of years.

Beneath the surface I think a lot of what's happening in individual's thoughts is the feeling they are being shut down; IE the "shut up and color" approach to communication being toward disagreement. That builds a lot of resentment that comes out somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 10:13 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,138,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I think the recent surge in hostility began with the non-accountability of social media and was exacerbated by the pandemic, but it was also fueled by the behavior of our politicians and journalists who like to fan the flames every chance they get.
101 percent! The media absolutely loves to attempt to place a person into either Camp A or Camp B. For those of us that are moderates, it’s darned annoying. Left alone without the aide or more accurately hindrance from main stream media, politics spans a spectrum, not two singular points of view. To add insult we are taught to hate the other Camp. The by product of this division is widespread judgment.

When you get stuck playing this silly game, you automatically are taught to distrust and loathe 50% of the population!!!

Well I refuse to play! MSM can spend trillions trying to divide us but I won’t get suckered into this evil matrix. Life is tough enough. Adding an extra layer of hatred for absolutely no reason is maddening and unnecessary.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:30 PM

829 posts, read 756,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
I have personally noticed in the last 10 years or so people have become more hostile, more easily offended, think more like victims, they have also become more argumentative. I'm also noticing more hostile drivers on the road towards other drivers.

I am also noticing more online bullying than I did back in the 2000s . . .

What benefit do certain people get by insulting other peoples posts & making them depressed & feel bad?
What seems to be causing this?

I know there this has always existed, but it seems far more extreme in the last decade.

You might be interested in reading Bible verses that refer to what you've been noticing, such as:

"[Know] this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.

For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers,

disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement,

slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness,betrayers, headstrong,

puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,

having a form of godly devotion . . . proving false to its power . . ." - 2 Timothy 3:1-5

"[The] god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers,
that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God,
might not shine through." - 2 Corinthians 4:4

"[Because] the Devil has come down to you, having great anger,
knowing that he has a short period of time [to try to fulfill his own desire to ruin God's plans]."
- Revelation 12:12b

"[The] nations became wrathful, and your [/God's] own wrath came,
and the appointed time . . . to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.” - Revelation 11:18

"Now there is a judging of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out." - John 12:31

We've all heard of murder-suicides for the purpose of keeping the one they want for themself from having a life with someone else of their own choice. . . . Well, Satan is playing a similar game with humanity. He wants to rule the world of humankind in rebellion against God, forever. . . .

However, his time to try getting everyone to rebel will soon end. He knows this, so he's very angry & stirring people up more than ever . . . attempting to hurt the Creator deeply at heart, & get everyone to become disapproved & destroyed by Him . . .

This would deprive God of His purpose to fill the earth with happy, healthy, loving, righteous humans. . . . However, Satan will definitely fail to stop God from bringing His purpose to fulfillment. . . .

"Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;You will look at where they were and they will not be there.
But the meek will possess the earth,
And will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
The righteous will possess the earth,
And they will live forever on it." - Psalms 37:10-11, 29

"[God] will reside with them, and they will be his people. . . .
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more,
neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.
Such former things will have passed away.” - Revelations 21:3b-4

If anyone would like to learn more of what God's Word the Bible has to say on this or another topic . . . please feel free to message me through city-data your question/s, & I'll do my best to help.

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 09-10-2022 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: To edit the spacers.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:29 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,005,890 times
There's a lot of badly behaved people out there.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:57 AM

13,577 posts, read 9,594,825 times
People who are confident in their future and their sustained role in the world, have ample reason to feel calm and generous; and if not, not. I’d aver that the watershed event was the Great Recession, around 2008, and the uneven recovery from it. Hostility stems from a sense of injustice, of having gotten a raw deal. If our jobs are insecure and our livelihoods are ephemeral, the sense of being on-edge, of being tossed-about and disregarded as some disposable trifle, will put people into a pugilistic mode of survival.

The opposite is a national crisis that comprehensively affects us all, the prime example being WW2, or even the Cold War. Such crises, being universal, produce a leveling effect. Even if there’s suffering and stress, it is experienced broadly, and from an external source. There is then also a mode of survival, but it’s sublimated as a communal sense, instead of a competitive one. The result is a more genial relation with one’s fellows…. “we’re all in it together”.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:59 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,338,813 times
That's why we once taught manners to our children because people get along better when everyone has manners. That's what manners were "invented" for.

People are more snippy today. I don't blame it on Covid or any other evironmental cause. It's the individual person who can decide to be kind or not and walk a mile in someone else's shoes before they act out.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:25 PM

344 posts, read 141,491 times
Folks have lost loving kindness and replaced it with hostility and violence. The law of the jungle is here, in America , right now. Avoid the big cities. I live in Huckleberry village.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:38 PM

494 posts, read 282,144 times
Quote:
Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum, if not I will post it elsewhere. This is a general question though and something I have thought about quite a few years now.

I have personally noticed in the last 10 years or so people have become more hostile, more easily offended, think more like victims, they have also become more argumentative. I'm also noticing more hostile drivers on the road towards other drivers.

I am also noticing more online bullying than I did back in the 2000s, what benefit do certain people get by insulting other peoples posts and making them depressed and feel bad?

What seems to be causing this? I know there this has always existed, but it seems far more extreme in the last decade.
Absolutely....

Old 09-11-2022, 05:47 PM

10,145 posts, read 6,594,069 times
Quote:
Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum, if not I will post it elsewhere. This is a general question though and something I have thought about quite a few years now.

I am also noticing more online bullying than I did back in the 2000s, what benefit do certain people get by insulting other peoples posts and making them depressed and feel bad?

What seems to be causing this? I know there this has always existed, but it seems far more extreme in the last decade.
With anonymity, comes irresponsibility.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:01 PM

15 posts, read 26,848 times
Yes, I, too have noticed an uptick in hostility during the past few years. I'm thinking the pandemic did it, as people watched friends and loved ones die and opportunities and social structures decline. So much that was good in the world was either taken away or irreparably altered, and this has caused a lot of psychological damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy