Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times

Advertisements

How did we know about the names of things?

who named them?

for example

the tree
who told us that such thing is called tree?

......thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post

who named them?

for example

the tree

......thanks.
I think it was after Mama, Dada, they teach you poopy, peepee, tree, birdy, etc...

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:

who named them?

for example

the tree

......thanks.
That's a very good question.

I look at a chair and call it 'chair', but in reality, what's to stop it from actually being a 'cat' or a 'dog'?

It's a concept -- an idea. It's an arbitrary bit of knowledge that has no *real* bearing on our existance;

At the risk of parroting the Matrix...

It's a choice.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:

who named them?

for example

the tree
Here's a little website that may interest you:

Words from the Woods: Derivations of Common Tree and Forest Words

You can spend your entire life figuring out the answers to questions like these (like linguists do).
I'm curious: what does this have to do with religion/philosophy?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Here's a little website that may interest you:

Words from the Woods: Derivations of Common Tree and Forest Words

You can spend your entire life figuring out the answers to questions like these (like linguists do).
I'm curious: what does this have to do with religion/philosophy?
I think the OP is asking about 'perception': what makes a tree a 'tree'? What prevents me, for example, for calling it a 'dog'?

If that's my perception of the object that others call a 'tree' -- I wouldn't be 'wrong'.

If it's our perception, than I can choose to shift my perception and call *everything* a tree. Or, conversely, I can remove 'tree' from my sphere of perception entirely, in which case, *nothing* is a tree.

Names are arbitrary labels, built on a universe that requires some form of order (otherwise, entropy would have taken over long ago).

Call a 'tree' a 'dog', and -- while some people would think you strange -- you wouldn't be wrong, because it's based on self-referential perception.

I'm not even sure if referential is even a word....

Old 11-10-2008, 12:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I think the OP is asking about 'perception': what makes a tree a 'tree'? What prevents me, for example, for calling it a 'dog'?

If that's my perception of the object that others call a 'tree' -- I wouldn't be 'wrong'.

If it's our perception, than I can choose to shift my perception and call *everything* a tree. Or, conversely, I can remove 'tree' from my sphere of perception entirely, in which case, *nothing* is a tree.

Names are arbitrary labels, built on a universe that requires some form of order (otherwise, entropy would have taken over long ago).

Call a 'tree' a 'dog', and -- while some people would think you strange -- you wouldn't be wrong, because it's based on self-referential perception.

I'm not even sure if referential is even a word....
Yes, "referential" is a word. I didn't catch the OP's question about perception. I thought the question was simply "where do words come from?" so I tried to point out the answer.
In any case, there is a traceable origin for the word "dog" as well as the word "tree" no matter who is looking at what...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Yes, "referential" is a word. I didn't catch the OP's question about perception. I thought the question was simply "where do words come from?" so I tried to point out the answer.
In any case, there is a traceable origin for the word "dog" as well as the word "tree" no matter who is looking at what...
*nods*

Yes, but they can be changed, if only on an individual level -- one day, someone may decide 'I'm not going to call that a 'tree'. I'm going to call that a 'dog'; it looks like a dog, to me'.

In which case, his perception of the item otherwise called 'tree' -- his personal perception, mind you -- is altered, and to him, it now becomes 'dog', not 'tree'.

Which then begs the question: since it is merely *his* perception of the item that he redefines, is that perception 'wrong'?

Last edited by FredNotBob; 11-10-2008 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 11-10-2008, 04:08 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times
my question was Similar to the question of
how did we come to this world

we got born and our parents got born until we reach to Adam and Eve peace be upon them and then we reach to Allah Almighty the creator of every thing

same things about the names we got them from the people before us and they got them from the one before until we reach to Adam peace be upon him
and Adam got them from Allah Almighty

sura #2 Al-Baqara the Cow

And when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am about to place a viceroy in the earth, they said: Wilt thou place therein
one who will do harm therein and will shed blood, while we, we hymn Thy praise and sanctify Thee? He said: Surely I know that which ye know not. (30)

And He taught Adam all the names, then showed them to the angels, saying: Inform Me of the names of these, if ye are truthful. (31)

They said: Be glorified! We have no knowledge saving that which Thou hast taught us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Knower, the Wise. (32)

He said: O Adam! Inform them of their names, and when he had informed them of their names, He said: Did I not tell you that I know the secret of the heavens and the earth? And I know that which ye disclose and which ye hide. (33)

And when We said unto the angels: Prostrate yourselves before Adam, they fell prostrate, all save Iblis. He demurred through pride, and so became a disbeliever. (34)

And We said: O Adam! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden, and eat ye freely (of the fruits) thereof where ye will; but come not nigh this tree lest ye become wrong-doers. (35)

But Satan caused them to deflect therefrom and expelled them from the (happy) state in which they were; and We said: Fall down, one of you a foe unto the other! There shall be for you on earth a habitation and provision for a time. (36)

Then Adam received from his Lord words (of revelation), and He relented toward him. Lo! He is the relenting, the Merciful. (37)

We said: Go down, all of you, from hence; but verily there cometh unto you from Me a guidance; and whoso followeth My guidance, there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve. (38)

But they who disbelieve, and deny Our revelations, such are rightful owners of the Fire. They will abide therein. (39)

Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Human language is actually a very interesting topic. They had a series a year or two ago about the development of the english language on one of the educational channels. As England was taken over or influenced over many centuries by rival nations we can find many examples of words that originated in those nations and finally became a part of everyday english. Most words that end in ion such as nation are generally french in origin. The languages of western Europe generally have the same alphabet and of course it's very well known that such languages as Spanish, Italian, French, English and German share many traits (it's kind of like evolution). The languages of Asian nations are completely different from western languages although many of them share similarities with each other. The Thai language is so unique that it appears to have developed without the outside influence of other cultures due to the isolation it was experiencing at the time.
I've also got to throw this thought out. The complexities and the time scales involved in developing completely unique languages don't happen to fall into the six thousand year old earth scenario. Just food for thought.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM

414 posts, read 776,724 times
Wink Remember ...

Quote:

who named them?

for example

the tree

......thanks.

... I once knew. But forgot again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy