U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:49 PM

69 posts, read 137,911 times

Advertisements

Extracts from the lecture:

I am honored to have this opportunity and I would like to begin by saying that all of you have an equal responsibility. That responsibility is to listen with an open heart and an open mind. In a world filled with prejudice and cultural conditioning, it is very hard to be able to find people to take a moment to think about life objectively and try to arrive at the truth about this world and the real purpose of our lives.

Unfortunately, when you ask most people the question: "What is the purpose of life?" (such a fundamental and important question), they will not tell you what they have concluded through observation or analytical reasoning. Rather, in most cases, they will simply tell you what someone else said, or they will tell you what is "commonly presumed" by others, i.e., What my father said purpose of life is, what the minister of my church said the purpose of life is, what my teacher in school said, what my friend said, etc. If I ask anyone about the purpose of eating or why do we eat, everyone will say [in one word or another] that it is for nutritional purposes, because nutrition sustains life. If I ask anyone why they work, they will say because it's a necessity in order to support themselves and to provide for the needs of their families. If I ask anyone why they sleep, why they wash, why they dress, etc., they will answer with appropriate answers, for these are common necessities for all human beings. We can follow this line of questioning with a hundred questions and receive the same or similar answers from anyone in any language from any place in the world.

The Purpose of Life by Khalid Yaseen , Does Life Has a Purpuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:16 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,064,274 times
"And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me."

[Surah 51: Ayah 56]

Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,289,391 times
The purpose of life, according to the Dalai Lama, is "to be happy". All else will fall into place.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,173,444 times
the purpose of life is life itself. Existance is the question you are the answer. Blessed are the sheep for they understand the truth more then the shepard.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,787,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
The purpose of life, according to the Dalai Lama, is "to be happy". All else will fall into place.
Some people are truly happy raping, torturing and hacking others to pieces, literally. Where does that fit in with the Dalai Lama's philosophy?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,689 posts, read 10,836,637 times
The purpose of life is subjective--whatever gives you meaning and purpose is your purpose.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,214,591 times
I can see purpose of natural habitat, bugs, animals, plants, they create environments for ecosystem to balance out nature.

Does human life have to have a purpose? What positive do we, humans, bring to this natural cycle of life? As far as i see, nothing. We balance nothing, we have no purpose for this nature or this earth. We're parasites of it's best! We destroy and demolish everything that is on our path.

Is purpose of life is death?
I don't believe in higher being, so to anyone with religion i probably sound like a nutcase, oh well, then my purpose in life it to be crazy!! Humans created religion and god, so they can say they have a purpose in life, even then, what would be the purpose of "eternal life", or heaven, or hell, or God himself?

Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,794,408 times
Purpose, by it's very definition, requires intelligent direction towards a specific goal. Because life is not the result of a God with some sort of magical powers to create living things but is in fact the result of millions of years of evolution the concept of purpose makes no sense. Of course human beings can strive to acheive certain things in their lives and that does make the concept of purpose to be something that is very real. It's my opinion that our purpose in life is something that is based on our sense of self and varies from one person to the next. I don't believe that the evolution of human beings is based on a purpose but due to the extraordinary abilities of the human brain the very concept of purpose has come into being.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,214,591 times
Well MT, from that perspective, i agree.
But in a grand sham of things, what is the purpose of all of it anyway? Everything lives and dies, so, purpose of life is death. Kaput!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:24 PM

55,663 posts, read 74,604,692 times
i am filled with prejudice and cultural conditioning? b4 i even say anything. is that a good definition of prejudice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy