Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
As long as you draw breath there is the possibility of Salvation. Sin is only unpardonable if one does not receive Christ Jesus and repent before their physical life is extinguished. Authentic Christians will continue preaching the Gospel message until the end of the age, whether you believe it is necessary or not.
As ignorance is eradicated so will religions that rely on their "sheep" to be ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
You can send for a new T shirt if you like ; God is always willing to give you another if YOU are willing. As to the hostility toward God in your post....many folks are very brave this side of physical death -- I was too as a former proclaimed 'atheist' . Give God a real chance with your life and forsake putting yourself on the god throne. There wont be any regret in doing so. Regards.

I've faced death without faith. I'm fine.

In fact, if I had spent those moments hanging from that rock praying instead of estimating leverages, gauging the strength in my fingers and arms, and oxygenating my blood in preparation for the exertion, I probably would have fallen down the side of that mountain and met a pretty bloody and broken end. Fortunately, by the time I reached that moment in my life I had already figured out that nothing fails like prayer.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Quote:
As long as you draw breath there is the possibility of Salvation. Sin is only unpardonable if one does not receive Christ Jesus and repent before their physical life is extinguished. Authentic Christians will continue preaching the Gospel message until the end of the age, whether you believe it is necessary or not.
The bible states that blasphemy is the only unpardonable sin. I've blasphemed so it follows that I can't be saved. I can see only one way around this position and that is: a person that does not believe in god cannot blaspheme. That would be untenable to many christians, perhaps not you, because I often read that all atheists secretly know in their hearts that god exists. So, if I secretly know this, I can, in fact, blaspheme.

In your opinion, which is it? Or, do you have another option?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
The bible states that blasphemy is the only unpardonable sin. I've blasphemed so it follows that I can't be saved. I can see only one way around this position and that is: a person that does not believe in god cannot blaspheme. That would be untenable to many christians, perhaps not you, because I often read that all atheists secretly know in their hearts that god exists. So, if I secretly know this, I can, in fact, blaspheme.

In your opinion, which is it? Or, do you have another option?
You are referring to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. This is one of the most debated and misunderstood principles taught by Our LORD.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is defined as a continued and obstinate rejection of the Gospel, and hence is an unpardonable sin, simply because as long as a sinner remains in unbelief he voluntarily excludes himself from pardon.

There is no sin committed yesterday that the Lord would not forgive today because He died for all sin. The Holy Spirit came into the world to make real the salvation of Christ to the hearts of men. If you resist the working of the Spirit of God when He speaks to you, my friend, there is no forgiveness, of course. There is no forgiveness because you have rejected salvation made real to you by the Holy Spirit. And it is the work of the Spirit of God to regenerate you.

In Mark 3 the Lord amplifies the matter of the unpardonable sin by saying that it attributes the Spirit’s work to Satan, that Christ had performed these miracles by Beelzebub when actually He was doing them by the power of the Spirit of God. You see, they were rejecting the witness of the LORD Himself and of the Holy Spirit.

In our day that particular sin cannot be committed because it could only be committed when Jesus was here upon the earth. There is no act of sin that you could commit for which there is no forgiveness. Of course, if you resist the Holy Spirit, there is no forgiveness because He is bringing forgiveness. It is like the man who is dying from a certain disease, and the doctor tells him there is a remedy for it. The man refuses to take the remedy and dies, not from the disease but from refusing to take the remedy. There is a remedy for the disease of sin, and the Holy Spirit applies it; but if you resist it, there is no remedy. That is the only way sin can be unpardonable today.

Again, sin is only unpardonable if one does not receive Christ Jesus and repent before their physical life is extinguished. You can receive Christ Jesus repent of your sin trust in Him and He will indeed forgive your sin, past, present and future.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Quote:
You are referring to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. This is one of the most debated and misunderstood principles taught by Our LORD.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is defined as a continued and obstinate rejection of the Gospel, and hence is an unpardonable sin, simply because as long as a sinner remains in unbelief he voluntarily excludes himself from pardon.

There is no sin committed yesterday that the Lord would not forgive today because He died for all sin. The Holy Spirit came into the world to make real the salvation of Christ to the hearts of men. If you resist the working of the Spirit of God when He speaks to you, my friend, there is no forgiveness, of course. There is no forgiveness because you have rejected salvation made real to you by the Holy Spirit. And it is the work of the Spirit of God to regenerate you.

In Mark 3 the Lord amplifies the matter of the unpardonable sin by saying that it attributes the Spirit’s work to Satan, that Christ had performed these miracles by Beelzebub when actually He was doing them by the power of the Spirit of God. You see, they were rejecting the witness of the LORD Himself and of the Holy Spirit.

In our day that particular sin cannot be committed because it could only be committed when Jesus was here upon the earth. There is no act of sin that you could commit for which there is no forgiveness. Of course, if you resist the Holy Spirit, there is no forgiveness because He is bringing forgiveness. It is like the man who is dying from a certain disease, and the doctor tells him there is a remedy for it. The man refuses to take the remedy and dies, not from the disease but from refusing to take the remedy. There is a remedy for the disease of sin, and the Holy Spirit applies it; but if you resist it, there is no remedy. That is the only way sin can be unpardonable today.

Again, sin is only unpardonable if one does not receive Christ Jesus and repent before their physical life is extinguished. You can receive Christ Jesus repent of your sin trust in Him and He will indeed forgive your sin, past, present and future.
I appreciate your thoughtful response. I can honestly say that I've never heard this interpretation. I grew up in fundamentalist baptist churches and my father was a pastor. I was taught that I would go to hell if I blasphemed.

I do not believe in god but your response has opened my eyes to a new way of looking at this issue. I'm always willing to learn.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
I believe that to best answer your inquiry we should establish the ground work for the discussion. In this case the basis would be the exact Biblical text you are referring to God commanding the killing of babies. From that point we can establish the proper context. If you are willing to sincerely study this in context you will see that God does not and will not command that same action of His followers in this age of Grace.
Are you not familiar with examples of God telling his followers to kill babies? If not, perhaps you should do a bit of research before telling me that the context is incorrect.

Quote:
No, God’s law has not changed. What gives you the impression that it has?
Christian rejection of Old Testament laws, for one thing. Wearing mixed fabrics, eating cheeseburgers, not killing their children for disobeying them, that sort of thing.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Thats just it..you are NOT your own property --- you belong to the Creator of the Cosmos who fashioned you in his image , he owns you lock stock and barrel, and he expects you to obey HIS mandates for your life because he knows you better than you know yourself and he established them for your own protection out of love.
Then mind your own business and let god deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy