Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:00 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of funny story of blind date in my 20s. I was on Jury Duty and on my commute walking home I encountered a girl who grew up across the street a grade younger, who, after we were talking awhile mentioned she had a friend she'd like me to meet who had difficulty meeting nice guys. Being an open adventurous sort I said sure.

So I'm 24 at time just starting a new job and figuring, hey, let's meet she sounds like might be a match based on what childhood neighbor (attractive female) had told me.

Well, I talk to her on telephone we agree on time to go on date. I check out her yearbook photo but being hers was junior photo it wasn't that telling one way or the other, as she appeared a late bloomer (braces)

When I get to parents house she's upstairs and I figured I'll play visual morphing game in my mind since I met both parents. I'm thinking, ok, dad is short, kindly looking sort of distinguished looking in that kind grandfather way with no anomalous facial features that cause concern. Then I look at mom - she's petite, fit for her age (I'd say mid 50s looks like an average looker who probably was attractive in her prime years). I'm thinking alright!

Then daughter comes downstairs and I meet her for first time in person. Well, let's just say sometimes you don't know where or how the DNA / genetic threads combine, but I felt sorry for her as she got a bad mix. Somehow she got a very large nose and combined with how she walked and her beady eyes it was an unattractive visual to me.

Good story is about eight years later at an outdoor musical performance I happen to recognize her and she is married and has two children. She found someone (or he had found someone) who had some physical visual commonality, so my thought is - that's great that she found someone and depending on who (if those were her natural parents) her children look like they may be quite attractive.

As mentioned natural genetic combinations can create all manner of visual qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Pizza and Ice Cream Principle.

The idea that some things, while great individually, do not combine very well.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:18 AM

995 posts, read 509,948 times
Simple - it's called regression toward the mean. It's a fundamental law of nature.

That's why I cringe at the idea of two genius-level parents having offspring, since nature tends towards the mean. End result - the smart and/or beautiful parents are often let down by their children's lack of intellectual prowess and looks, and the poor kids are made to feel forever inadequate for being born to "superior" parents.

On the flip side, I find it amazing that a genius can (and often do) come from parents of average to below-average parents, although it's just nature pulling in the opposite direction. In this case, both the parents and the kid consider themselves quite lucky, unlike the example above.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
This reminds me of Ryan O'Neal's appearance on The Tonight Show decades ago. His then-girlfriend, Farrah Fawcett, was pregnant at the time, and O'Neal went on and on to Carson about how good-looking their kid was going to be because, well...look at them.

They hid that kid for 5 years.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:19 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
This thread was started in 2010 (7 years ago) and, in all this time, it has remained in the Philosophy forum. Why would C-D deem this to be a philosphy topic? It would seem that it should situated be either in the "Parenting" section or in the "Non-Romantic Relationships" section. Not that I mind one way or the other. It just seems odd that such a thread as this is deemed to be a "Philosophy" topic.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I find it interesting how the genes move forward. Sometimes they just fit together great and other times they don't; even in the same family. That is what makes all of us unique.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
This thread was started in 2010 (7 years ago) and, in all this time, it has remained in the Philosophy forum. Why would C-D deem this to be a philosphy topic? It would seem that it should situated be either in the "Parenting" section or in the "Non-Romantic Relationships" section. Not that I mind one way or the other. It just seems odd that such a thread as this is deemed to be a "Philosophy" topic.
I think they got it right. What does science have to do with parenting or relationships? I would hate to see someone pick a partner in order to produce the best looking child. LOL Hitler is dead.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
This is a genetics / scientific matter, not a philosophical matter.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/science-technology/

Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
what i think is a real pity is when a good-looking woman marries an ugly guy for his money... and they have a daughter that looks like the father.
Onassis.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Felt for Zsa Zsa Gabors daughter who didnt take her mothers looks.... nor did Bruce Willis daughters.... not only looks but most dont get their parents talents either. and that is quite sad.. as these offpring dont know where they fit in... and maybe why so many famous movies stars have children who have problems..
Why Zsa Zsa Gabor's daughter Francesca Hilton died a down and out | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy