Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM

34 posts, read 52,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Yeah, you missed it...

His position in the debate is that he feel's that whatever speed he is going is the limit on "higher-speed traffic" and it doesn't work that way.

I guess I assumed his statements were with the caveat of "as long as I'm passing". Maybe not. If not, that's pretty inconsiderate and arguably dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Yeah, you missed it...
No; he got it.

Quote:
by LBTRS:.....His position in the debate is that he feel's that whatever speed he is going is the limit on "higher-speed traffic" and it doesn't work that way.
You are mis-interpreting my position. My statement was very clear, in that if I'm in lane one and going faster than lane two then anyone wanting to pass me is going faster than the flow of traffic, (which is speeding by the ARS definition which was posted earlier). I do not have to move from a fast lane to a slower moving lane in order to allow someone to pass me.

I've said that a couple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill
If I am driving in lane one faster than the traffic in lane two, and I'm going at least speed limit, I am the faster traffic and have every right to lane one. If a speeder wants me to merge into the slower lane two in order to pass me, that won't happen. I will not merge into the slower lane with traffic following too close, because changing lanes is dangerous no matter the skill level of the driver.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I guess I assumed his statements were with the caveat of "as long as I'm passing". Maybe not. If not, that's pretty inconsiderate and arguably dangerous.
This is the problem I initially inquired about that started the thread. People hang out in the left lane just because they see a slower moving vehicle 1/4 mile ahead and won't move to the right to let faster traffic pass. They think, "since I'm passing someone once in awhile, even though I'm only doing the speed limit (or less), I can hang out in the left lane and have no obligation to move to the right when I can to let faster traffic by". As he says, he has a right to be in the left lane doing the speed limit since he is moving faster than the semi in the right lane that is only moving at 60mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
You are mis-interpreting my position. My statement was very clear, in that if I'm in lane one and going faster than lane two then anyone wanting to pass me is going faster than the flow of traffic, (which is speeding by the ARS definition which was posted earlier). I do not have to move from a fast lane to a slower moving lane in order to allow someone to pass me.

But you do according to the law...you should move to the right when you can to allow others past and then move back to the left when you get to a vehicle that you need to pass.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
You are correct in your assumption. In fact I've posted at least 3 times that if I am in lane one and lane two is going slower than lane one.

I've also said that I'm not going to stay in lane one if lane two is faster. I think he may just be skimming my post and not reading it, so he's mis-understanding what I'm saying.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You are correct in your assumption. In fact I've posted at least 3 times that if I am in lane one and lane two is going slower than lane one.

I've also said that I'm not going to stay in lane one if lane two is faster. I think he may just be skimming my post and not reading it, so he's mis-understanding what I'm saying.
I can assure you, I'm not mis-understanding anything you're saying...

"Flow of traffic" and "going slower" are not the criteria you posted from the drivers manual. The criteria you posted said the "left lane is for higher-speed traffic".

Just because you're moving faster than lane two doesn't mean you are the upper limit for "higher-speed traffic". If there are cars moving faster than you there is "higher-speed traffic" and you should move right.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill

Quote:
by LBTRS:...But you do according to the law...you should move to the right when you can to allow others past and then move back to the left when you get to a vehicle that you need to pass.

...People hang out in the left lane just because they see a slower moving vehicle 1/4 mile ahead and won't move to the right to let faster traffic pass...
The scenario you're presenting is not the scenario I'm presenting. I did not say that if there is a slower vehicle 1/4 mile ahead in the right lane that I would not move over.

I have said that the right lane is slower and that people are following too close to merge over. There is no law that says I have to move into a slower lane if I'm passing traffic in that lane. And why would I want to move over to a slower lane just to accommodate a speeder in a hurry?

If I'm in the lane one it's because I'm driving faster than the traffic in lane two, and it would be ridiculous for me to try and slow down to merge into closely following traffic.

I'll say this again and it's not worth the time to keep repeating it if you're just going to throw different scenarios out there and mis-interpret what I'm saying:

If I am driving faster than the traffic in the right lane, and my statements have indicated that it's a steady traffic (not 1/4 mile apart) then I am in the right by staying in that lane.

If a car comes behind and tailgates me, then that car is in breaking the law; not me. By definition, he is speeding by not going with the traffic flow, and violating the law by tailgating.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

"Flow of traffic" and "going slower" are not the criteria you posted from the drivers manual. The criteria you posted said the "left lane is for higher-speed traffic".

Just because you're moving faster than lane two doesn't mean you are the upper limit for "higher-speed traffic". If there are cars moving faster than you there is "higher-speed traffic" and you should move right.
You're trying to write your own laws so we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll just keep driving the way I drive, which has served me well for probably many more years than you've been driving. And I hope your driving serves you well and that you get to be my age without having an accident.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

"Just because you're moving faster than lane two doesn't mean you are the upper limit for "higher-speed traffic". If there are cars moving faster than you there is "higher-speed traffic" and you should move right."...once he finishes passing the vehicle to his right, correct? Again, I think we're all saying the same thing and I have yet to hear anyone argue that the left lane is for driving in when not passing (although I see this all the time). I tend to drive faster than most other people on the road but when someone is in the left lane and they are overtaking the car to their right and then get back right once passed, I don't see any problem with that even if they are only traveling a few mph faster than the car they're passing. To me, the qualifier for being in the left lane is, are they passing. Not, at what rate of speed are they passing. As long as the left lane is traveling faster than the right, traffic will continue to flow.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
The scenario you're presenting is not the scenario I'm presenting. I did not say that if there is a slower vehicle 1/4 mile ahead in the right lane that I would not move over.

I have said that the right lane is slower and that people are following too close to merge over.
Oh, but it was the scenario you presented and even told us the "speeder" had to pass you on the right because there was no way you were going to move over. If there is room for the "speeder" to pass on the right why is there not room for you to simply move right and allow them through? It takes a whole lot more room for a "speeder" to pass then it does to perform a safe merge to the right.

Quote:
So if you're behind me in that situation, you'll have some choices:
  • Pass me on the right

Last edited by LBTRS; 07-26-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

If I am driving faster than the traffic in the right lane...then I am in the right by staying in that lane.
Agreed, coming from a "speeder".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area