Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post

Just wanted to remind everyone that, while we're roasting here in 105 degree weather, at least it's NOT HUMID!!! It's been a few years since we've traveled somewhere humid in the summer and we were quickly reminded why we hate it....it was only in the mid to high 80's but it felt miserable to us...and the humidity wasn't even that high. How the heck did I live in places with humidity all summer plus 80's and 90's all those years????

Just wanted to throw out a little silver lining to our 105+ degree cloud
Guess what? We get breaks from the humidity. You have HELL for months on end. I just got back from that dive that you call Phoenix, "enjoying" the 110 degrees. If you think thats better than 80 degrees and mild humidity, you need to go see a doctor. Our weather wont kill you (unless youre extremely stupid). Your weather can kill, and it does every year. Now which is better? Dry sucks. Its sucks for your skin, your sinuses, your hair, etc, etc, etc. Im back home, enjoying the 76 degree air. I hope you suckers enjoy the 118 degrees tomorrow. Dont try to fool anyone, anything over 100 degrees in AZ is uncomfortable. See how long you can handle it w/o air in your car or your house. Try it for just 3 days, see what tune youre singing after that. Ill be sleeping with my window open tonight. You? Didnt think so. Oh, and your HELL summer is just starting too. Shame. Dry heat it is, but it sucks!!! If you try and convince someone that its not so bad, then explain to them that its not bad SITTING IN AN AIR CONDITIONED CAR OR A POOL! Go out tomorrow and hike Camelback, see how you like it then. AZ's summers are the worst (besides Florida) in the USA, dont try to convince people otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I guess it's me because these people here are complaining about the heat. I have a friend from Phoenix that lives here in Charlotte also and she loves this weather, she's not hot either. We went to a concert a couple of weeks ago in the evening and everyone was fanning themselves and we thought it felt like an early Spring night in Phoenix
They dont know, they really dont. PHX is hell in summer in more ways than one. Dry or not, its just a gigantic oven. They try to convince people otherwise, strangely. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Guess what? We get breaks from the humidity. You have HELL for months on end. I just got back from that dive that you call Phoenix, "enjoying" the 110 degrees. If you think thats better than 80 degrees and mild humidity, you need to go see a doctor. Our weather wont kill you (unless youre extremely stupid). Your weather can kill, and it does every year. Now which is better? Dry sucks. Its sucks for your skin, your sinuses, your hair, etc, etc, etc. Im back home, enjoying the 76 degree air. I hope you suckers enjoy the 118 degrees tomorrow. Dont try to fool anyone, anything over 100 degrees in AZ is uncomfortable. See how long you can handle it w/o air in your car or your house. Try it for just 3 days, see what tune youre singing after that. Ill be sleeping with my window open tonight. You? Didnt think so. Oh, and your HELL summer is just starting too. Shame. Dry heat it is, but it sucks!!! If you try and convince someone that its not so bad, then explain to them that its not bad SITTING IN AN AIR CONDITIONED CAR OR A POOL! Go out tomorrow and hike Camelback, see how you like it then. AZ's summers are the worst (besides Florida) in the USA, dont try to convince people otherwise.
Chicago's summers can kill. Remember 1995? It is rare, but it happens. Anyway, I guess that's neither here nor there. I won't go a summer here without A/C any sooner than I'd do Jan in Chi-Town without a furnace.

Why the competition? Different people like different things; what's the big deal?

Last edited by ejk; 06-21-2007 at 12:30 AM..

Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
They dont know, they really dont. PHX is hell in summer in more ways than one. Dry or not, its just a gigantic oven. They try to convince people otherwise, strangely. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Most everyone came here from somewhere else - lots from Ill where you live. And they return to visit relatives left behind. In every survey I have seen these midwesterns transplants will say the best thing about living in Phoenix is the weather. Oh yeah, THEY KNOW.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Speaking of surveys, there was a poll I saw on the TV yesterday. People were asked at what temp do you think it is "hot" in Phoenix. 44% said 115, 24% said 110. So for nearly 70% of people, it has to be 110 for them to think it's hot. About a 1/4 said 100 - newcomer wusses, I presume.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 AM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
Steve, Steve, Steve....why do you get so defensive any time someone says they prefer Phoenix to Chicago? What's the big deal? I've always wondered why you spend so much time on the board with a bunch of "suckers" living in a "dive" of a city that you don't even like. If things are so great in Chicago, go outside and enjoy your fabulous weather and nice humid air

As for your weather not killing anyone, I beg to differ with you on that. People die in Chicago in your hot, humid summer heat AND they die in the winter in your horrendous, cold, snowy, icy, nasty winters. Doesn't make much sense to me to use that as an argument over why Chicago is better then Phoenix.

As for "mild" humidity and mid 80's being comfortable - that's subjective, is it not? What feels like "mild" humidity to you feels like a swamp to me, and many other Phoenicians. Why is it so hard for you to wrap your mind around the fact that people have different concepts of comfort? If you were here within the past couple weeks, then I personally think you had good weather. If you didn't like it, that's your opinion and I certainly wouldn't try to argue it with you. IMO, it's just starting to get really hot here and yes, it won't be fun when monsoon starts - then it'll feel a lot like Chicago in August I agree that the constant heat without a break gets old - I'm not looking forward to the next 2 months here. But as soon as monsoon is over, things start getting better, and we'll be cruising for the next 8 months in fabulous weather, while your smack dab in the middle of another "fun" Chicago winter

Quote:

Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
How the weather affects you depends on what you're used to. I'm a native of Phoenix and I'm used to the hot summers. I did live just outside of Portland, Oregon for a little over a year, over 10 years ago and I recall in July of 1996, the weather forecasters predicted high temperatures close to 100 degrees on one weekend, and the whole metro area panicked! I laughed and said "Good Grief!" 100 degrees in July would certainly be a cooling trend in Phoenix!

But it was a little more humid, nothing like the humidy in the midwest and the south, but definitely higher than Phoenix's. Also, when I lived there, not that many office complexes had A/C, and none of the apartment complexes had it either, some had wall units, and the one I had in my apartment didn't work very well, it just made noise. Over there heating systems are more important than A/C.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Steve, Steve, Steve....why do you get so defensive any time someone says they prefer Phoenix to Chicago? What's the big deal? I've always wondered why you spend so much time on the board with a bunch of "suckers" living in a "dive" of a city that you don't even like. If things are so great in Chicago, go outside and enjoy your fabulous weather and nice humid air

As for your weather not killing anyone, I beg to differ with you on that. People die in Chicago in your hot, humid summer heat AND they die in the winter in your horrendous, cold, snowy, icy, nasty winters. Doesn't make much sense to me to use that as an argument over why Chicago is better then Phoenix.

As for "mild" humidity and mid 80's being comfortable - that's subjective, is it not? What feels like "mild" humidity to you feels like a swamp to me, and many other Phoenicians. Why is it so hard for you to wrap your mind around the fact that people have different concepts of comfort? If you were here within the past couple weeks, then I personally think you had good weather. If you didn't like it, that's your opinion and I certainly wouldn't try to argue it with you. IMO, it's just starting to get really hot here and yes, it won't be fun when monsoon starts - then it'll feel a lot like Chicago in August I agree that the constant heat without a break gets old - I'm not looking forward to the next 2 months here. But as soon as monsoon is over, things start getting better, and we'll be cruising for the next 8 months in fabulous weather, while your smack dab in the middle of another "fun" Chicago winter

Im glad people enjoy Phoenix, I dont. Phoenix's weather is the worst in the United States in the summer, you cant argue that. Relentless, brutal sunshine and soaring temps are extremely taxing, same as a long cold winter is,so whats your point? My point is, 80 degrees and some humidity is definitely more comfortable than 115 degrees. Ive played street hockey for 5 hours in heat like that, and was AOK. I can hike Camelback or Piestewa in 2 hours in your heat and be on the verge of death. There is a BIG difference.

As for heat in Chicago, sure we get nasty spells, maybe a week or two at most where its unbearable. We dont get month after month after month of the crap. And as for people dying, those that die in Chicago are the poor who dont have air conditioning. Take away A/C in the Valley, and AZ would experience death on a mass scale, especially with all those elderly folks that call the area home.

And Chicago is as "fun" in the winter as PHX is "fun" in the summer. Most people will sit inside and do nothing, as Phoenicians do in the summer. But there are still lots and lots of people who get out and ski, snowmobile, sled, etc, etc, etc. And its not like PHX's winter weather is so great either. Ive been down there in January and it was gray and miserable, we even had to scrape the windows on the morning we left. You want nice winters? Go to SoCal or Miami or Hawaii. PHX is decent in winter, not much more.

We BOTH have bad seasons, but theyre just reversed. Lets leave it at that.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most everyone came here from somewhere else - lots from Ill where you live. And they return to visit relatives left behind. In every survey I have seen these midwesterns transplants will say the best thing about living in Phoenix is the weather. Oh yeah, THEY KNOW.
True, but they return to visit in the summer, where they say how "nice it feels" up by us. I see LOTS of AZ plates in the area from May until October.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Speaking of surveys, there was a poll I saw on the TV yesterday. People were asked at what temp do you think it is "hot" in Phoenix. 44% said 115, 24% said 110. So for nearly 70% of people, it has to be 110 for them to think it's hot. About a 1/4 said 100 - newcomer wusses, I presume.
You can definitely tell the natives from the newcomers around here. We cruised down here in a pickup w/o air conditioning. People were looking at us like we were clinically insane, which Im sure we kinda are. Anyways, 100 degrees here is definitely warm, but not terribly uncomfortable. I dont like it when it gets above 110, then it really starts to suck. But Id have to disagree about the "wusses". I think the real "wusses" are the ones who cant handle a cold winter or some humidity. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area