U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 24,039 times
Default I do feel similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I moved here from Chicago's suburbs about a year ago, and I absolutely hate it. My in-laws live in West Glendale, so we did our best to stay close to them. We ended up buying in Avondale. One thing I found when home-shopping: There is not a SINGLE affordable neighborhood in the west valley that appears safe and clean. I feel like a tourist because I don't speak Spanish, the native language here. The people here (west valley) are either illegal, ignorant, desperate, malicious, or a combination of them all. The schools are among the scariest I've seen, and I've seen the Chicago inner-city schools.

We have two small children, and there's no way I'm sending them to these underfunded, language-impaired schools for any extended time. I would leave now except that my home is not worth what I paid, but we are out as soon as is feasible. Our neighborhood, which looked relatively nice before purchase, is just as crime-riddled and stupid as the others we passed on. The few neighbors who speak English told me I got a great deal on my house, but I simply avoided getting ripped off. The appraisal at the time (scams) was $35K over my purchase price, but Zillow shows a current value of $20K over. Pretty soon, our "great deal" will be more than the appraised value. I hope we get to leave before the neighborhood becomes an all-out slum.

I realize that there are nice parts of the valley, particularly on the east-side, but our very small children prohibit many lengthy outings, especially the brutal summer months. Property taxes are really low compared to Illinois, but you get what you pay for. When 80% of the surrounding population is illegal or ignorant, tax increases for school reform, police improvements, etc. aren't likely. It seems like the people living here, because most aren't actually from here, don't give a damn about improving or even maintaining things.

It actually costs much more here for the same quality of life provided in Naperville, IL. Like southern Cal, you have expensive areas for the affluent, and slummy affordable areas. Nothing in between.

People say they love the sunsets, mountains, etc. That's great, but lower your head and notice the car getting stolen or the street sign being tagged. I prefer the pleasantries around me at ground level, not in the sky.

Quote:
I can't wait to get back to Illinois to experience 4 seasons, culture and
nightlife, English speaking neighbors, challenging schools, and people who care about the place where they live.

By the way, I am not a racist. My wife is from Mexico, and she is more scared and disgusted by the people here than I am. She's too scared to take the kids to the park, so I have to recreate a playground in my closed-off backyard.

Any others feel this way about Phoenix?
I agree with you this place is nothing but a giant suburb of l.a. The food blows, the shopping, the jobs and the rejects from back east, mexico, canada and all fifty states. This place is a loser mecca and the mentality here is laughable. It is alot of losers from illinois so many that I know illinois must be better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
ejk

126 posts, read 376,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newglyph312 View Post
I agree with you this place is nothing but a giant suburb of l.a. The food blows, the shopping, the jobs and the rejects from back east, mexico, canada and all fifty states. This place is a loser mecca and the mentality here is laughable. It is alot of losers from illinois so many that I know illinois must be better off.
Versus the mentality it takes to go online and call everyone a bunch of losers?

I understand full well that not everyone likes it here, but the venom with which some people will attack anyone who does is absurd.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:25 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,986,127 times
I'm not from Arizona though its one of the places I'm considering for my future, though I might like Las Vegas more because its closer to the beach and less hot.

Here's how I decide how "American" an area is if I must answer this question. And FYI, I'm a minority (Asian American). You can find it on the radio. Listen to the main "mix" radio stations in your area. Do you hear any country music, and I mean contemporary country?

In Baltimore, a lot of pop-country acts are still played on the mix stations while in DC country is losing ground to hip hop and Latin music. This reflects the changing culture here and honestly I'm not really comfortable with these changes. I'm a major country fan and consider country music to be the music of the "real America".

In New York and Los Angeles there aren't even any country stations, and I don't think San Francisco has one still either. While Houston has multiple country stations divided into traditional and modern, and in Milwaukee and Pittsburgh you regularly hear Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts on the mix/adult contemporary stations.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 AM

1,038 posts, read 2,061,282 times
While the radio stations of a city might HIGHLY reflect its culture; I think it would vary from person to person as to what 'american' is.

I don't think Vegas is any closer to the beach than Phoenix is. O.o

Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 AM

3,236 posts, read 5,886,934 times
Las Vegas actually is closer to the beach then Phoenix, unless you count Rocky Point in Mexico, but I woulnd't, it's sort of a dump and not a true beach experience.

Las Vegas to LA is 271 miles and Las Vegas to San Diego is 332 miles.
Phoenix to LA is 372 miles and Phoenix to San Diego is 355 miles.

Vegas gets just about as hot during the day in the summer, but the nights do cool down more then they do in Phoenix and the rest of the year it is 5-10 degrees cooler.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:13 PM

3,214 posts, read 5,670,625 times
San Diego has nice beaches. Most of the beaches in L.A. are overrated, overcrowded and very dirty. My fav. beach in the L.A. area is Zuma

Old 06-24-2007, 01:34 PM

105 posts, read 215,717 times
I dont know what everyone else sees but i agree with you totally on all points.We will someday be part of mexico and required to speak spanish and thats why i am getting out of here also.I was an over the road truck driver who seen naperville quite often and i would definitely move back asap if i were you.
I use to deliver to chicago sometimes once or twice a week and even had to deliver in cabrini green twice and to be quite honest with you, that is the only part of chicago that i didnt like.If you give it another 2 years places like surprise, scottsdale and happy valley will start seeing the garbage because once the homes get older and depreciate in value then the people that live in the inner city will be able to afford the houses.
Right now the drug dealers, pimps and drop house owners are seeing that it is a good place to buy homes, give it time and they to will be part of your neighborhood unless you all band together and decide to watch what your neighbor s are doing .I say" unite neighbors and keep your area clean, become concerned about you community and dont turn your head because you are afraid to speak up" if you turn your head it wont just go away!
dan k

Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 5,886,934 times
Homes depreciate in value as they get older? That's news to me.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 PM

3,214 posts, read 5,670,625 times
Quote:
Homes depreciate in value as they get older? That's news to me.
Same here. News to me. We are not living in trailer parks you know.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,736,530 times
Quote:
Right now the drug dealers, pimps and drop house owners are seeing that it is a good place to buy homes, give it time and they to will be part of your neighborhood unless you all band together and decide to watch what your neighbor s are doing
Yep, we already have a problem with drug dealers and pimps buying these million-dollar homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area