U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:50 AM

1,998 posts, read 5,876,407 times
Question 108 degrees. I loved the heat. Am I nuts?

Visited last week and it was 108 degrees. Having lived in humid Houston for 20+ years I dreaded it, but found it was just really warm. Am I nuts? It didn't bother me all that much either, and, when it got too hot, I just went into the shade or inside the house.
I've heard so many say that I'd just HAVE to leave during the summer as it would be sooooo dry and hot. Didn't bother my skin ('course, I load it with sunscreen and moisturizers regardless daily) or my lips (altho my gal pal kept using Chapstick all week as it did her).
Am I alone here? I just loved the heat and lack of humidity.

Anyone else here from humid areas like Houston or the Midwest where it's somewhat humid and colder...and just love Phoenix dryness?

And is there something I should prepare myself for during July and August? Like staying indoors all the time or something, Phoenix folks? Or being prepared to oil myself up from head to toe daily during the driest months? Anything??? Maybe the heat and dryness ruins your house's walls? Or ruins your sidewalks? Just anything????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,750,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Visited last week and it was 108 degrees. Having lived in humid Houston for 20+ years I dreaded it, but found it was just really warm. Am I nuts? It didn't bother me all that much either, and, when it got too hot, I just went into the shade or inside the house.
I've heard so many say that I'd just HAVE to leave during the summer as it would be sooooo dry and hot. Didn't bother my skin ('course, I load it with sunscreen and moisturizers regardless daily) or my lips (altho my gal pal kept using Chapstick all week as it did her).
Am I alone here? I just loved the heat and lack of humidity.

Anyone else here from humid areas like Houston or the Midwest where it's somewhat humid and colder...and just love Phoenix dryness?

And is there something I should prepare myself for during July and August? Like staying indoors all the time or something, Phoenix folks? Or being prepared to oil myself up from head to toe daily during the driest months? Anything???
July and August likely WON'T be the "driest months". We should be having our Monsoon weather during that time and it WILL mean humidity. However it will seem like nothing compared to Houston or the Midwest. The afternoon storms will cool it down some and start over the next day. lol Regardless it still pays to use moisturizers and sun screen.

I learned all about humidity when I lived in MI for five years. Made me appreciate 'home' even more!

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,305,351 times
As you noticed it isn't the heat that get you, it's the sun. You can hang out all day in 100 degrees as long as you stay in the shade.

If you experienced a 108 degree day, you have pretty much seen the typical summer day. Some will tell you that we can see 120+, but those days are rare.

I tell my family and friends form the Midwest that I play tennis in 100+ temps and they cannot believe it, but they just don't get it. If you tried playing tennis at 100 in the Midwest you would die. Here you just have to drink a lot and use lots of sunscreen.

Unread 06-25-2010, 10:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,765,483 times
and as you can feel today the dew point is at 55 so the monsoons will be starting in the next few days.

Unread 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM

103 posts, read 135,537 times
San Diego here we come!

Unread 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,405,725 times
No, you're not nuts. I love the heat too. Las Cruces is not as hot as Phoenix on average, but we've had some Phoenix-like days this summer. I lived in New England for 18 years and I definitely prefer this over a New England winter.

Unread 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM

2,870 posts, read 2,156,724 times
Back in '05 I went to Arizona for the first time. Visited with family in Phoenix and took a trip down to Tucson. After eating dinner at a great Mexican restaurant (the name I have forgotten) I checked the temperature outside. It was 106 degrees and I gurantee it was nicer than it was in Chicagoland where I lived at the time.

I'm headed to Phoenix shortly and look foward to the heat. I've lived in the midwest all of my life except the past 18 months (in NEPA) and I more than ready to give up the hot and humid summers and freezing winters.

Unread 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM

126 posts, read 138,113 times
It was nice and dry (and still somewhat cool in the mornings) until today. Humidity is at 25% today, which is pretty high for Phoenix and a dewpoint of 55 hints the start of the "Monsoon" season (hot, humid, dust storms and sometimes a little bit of rain if you just washed your car).

Unread 06-25-2010, 12:00 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,933,539 times
No, you aren't nuts. Although you might not like it as much as a permanent resident instead of just a visitor. It gets a little monotonous. We had 93 the other day in Wisconsin, with 60-something% humidity. Not nice. The same day, Arizona had 108 with something like 6% humidity, making it feel cooler than the Wisconsin weather. Although I have the ability to relocate to the north during Arizona's summer, I still spend a week or two per month in AZ, because the weather is simply not that bad most of the time. There are a few scorchers that are unpleasant, though. I don't use any less A/C in Wisconsin than Arizona during the summer. In Arizona it's for the heat, in Wisconsin it's for the humidity.

One note on monsoon humidity. Monsoon humidity is nothing like daily humidity figures for Texas or the Midwest, or the Mid Atlantic. It's rough for people who have lived in Arizona for a long time, but it doesn't touch the levels of other parts of the US. And monsoons don't happen every day, either. A Virginia summer is worse than anything a monsoon can dish out.

Unread 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM

224 posts, read 338,892 times
You are crazy! eh I guess not so much, a lot of people move out here solely for the weather, arthritis, asthma, various breathing problems. I can't stand the heat, I feel like it gets worse and worse every year, but I guess you just get used to it. When I was 13 I moved out to Phoenix with my family, and I could not stand the heat, but I was coming from the east coast. If you can handle 1 season a year, and constant heat, no weather variation, "Phoenix heat disorder", and other crazy things that come with living in the desert, then it sounds like you are home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area