Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the PHX area in a few months, and I was set on Scottsdale because a few of my people live there (West area). Because of what JavaJolt wrote on another thread, I'm beginning to rethink my mind being set on Scottsdale.

Quote:
But Scottsdale is still overpriced considering that you can buy, lease or rent elsewhere in the valley for much less and still live in a very nice area, even around central Phoenix.
I'd like to know where those areas are. I've read that NW Scottsdale/far NE Phoenix can be iffy with some apartment complexes, with car break-ins and the police coming out so any suggestions would be appreciated. Where are the areas in the Scottsdale/Phoenix border, and where in Central Phoenix besides 7th/Camelback (Medlock, etc.) are good places to rent?

Basically I want someplace with a decent pool, a jacuzzi and a workout room, and decent parking and quiet (but not too quiet!). I'd also like to avoid driving across the valley during the scorching months to visit my people in Scottsdale. I'm sure they'll have suggestions but I'm interested in what people here have to say! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
The whole my people thing is throwing me off

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Okay.... "my people" means people I know who already live there: a couple friends, a couple of distant relatives and a former cousin-in-law, not to mention a high school friend I haven't seen in many years. That's why I used "my people"! Easier to write than explaining it, which I ended up doing anyway!

Seems a lot of people in this forum have houses, but still hoping for some area suggestions for renting a decent apartment. I had wanted to stay inside the 51/101 loop and north of Shea, but willing to check other places based upon favorable comments from other posters.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:13 PM

I'd ask "my people" first since they live here and already know your preferences. I'd take their advices then someone in a forum.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm moving to the PHX area in a few months, and I was set on Scottsdale because a few of my people live there (West area). Because of what JavaJolt wrote on another thread, I'm beginning to rethink my mind being set on Scottsdale.

[i]

I'd like to know where those areas are. I've read that NW Scottsdale/far NE Phoenix can be iffy with some apartment complexes, with car break-ins and the police coming out so any suggestions would be appreciated. Where are the areas in the Scottsdale/Phoenix border, and where in Central Phoenix besides 7th/Camelback (Medlock, etc.) are good places to rent?

Basically I want someplace with a decent pool, a jacuzzi and a workout room, and decent parking and quiet (but not too quiet!). I'd also like to avoid driving across the valley during the scorching months to visit my people in Scottsdale. I'm sure they'll have suggestions but I'm interested in what people here have to say! Thanks.
I already did! And I'm sure they will have further suggestions when I visit there next month.

And I don't understand your comment about "not wanting suggestions from someone on a forum." Isn't that why we're all here?! I'm still interested in the opinions of others, since "my people" are homeowners.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I already did! And I'm sure they will.

And I don't understand your comment about "not wanting suggestions from someone on a forum." Isn't that why we're all here?!
family and friends vs some rando on a forum I know where I would go. But to answer your question there are a lot of areas equal or betetr the Scottsdale. Ex: Tempe, Chandler, Awatukee are a couple. Most people move to Scottsdale cuz of the name and forget about the rest of the valley.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM

LocoAZnative, I appreciate your attempts to help but my initial post stated that I don't want to drive a long way across the valley to visit my friends and relatives in the Scottsdale area. (No, we are not snobs, we are middle class.) My second post stated that I want to stay near the 51/101 loop as much as possible.

CLARIFICATION QUESTION:
What areas are good for renting an apartment just outside the 51/101 loop and south of Shea?

Yes, I have done research on apartmentratings.com, yes I have asked friends and relatives, and yes I still want peoples' opinions from this forum. Thank you!!!!

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-28-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 04:24 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
Look up zip code 85028.
Nice area, Shea runs right through it, so does the 51 freeway. I think it would be considered Northern Phoenix.

For central Phoenix check out around Central between Thomas and McDowell. I think they call it the central corridor. Also a nice area but it's outside of the Scottsdale bubble of familiarity. So you might have to give directions to your people if you get a place there. At least that was my experience when I lived there.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I'd second the recommendation for the 85028 zip code, but I'm coming up dry when I try to think of apartement complexes in that zip. The only one I can think of is at the north-west corner of Shea/32nd Street (I think it is called Rancho Sierra). The complex seems nice enough, and close to several amenities, but I lived there and do not recommend it. There were several break-ins while I lived there, and anything we left on our porch was stolen. Walls were paper thin and on more than one occasion, Phoenix PD busted prostitutes hanging out at the front of the complex. Now this was in 2006, so they may have cleaned things up since then. I was so unhappy there I had to break my lease.

I live in NE Phoenix and highly recommend it as well. Do an apartment search in zip 85050. There are options near Desert Ridge that seem very nice and close to everything, including your friends, social life.

Lastly, I'd do an apartment search in zip 85032, but try to stay east of the 51. Check out the PV mall area and you'll find several apartment options. I love that area and also love that mall. In that area you have your pick of grocery stores, restaurants, etc, and it would still be close to your friends.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area