Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:11 PM

13,730 posts, read 7,992,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc323 View Post
Property manager checked and found that the owners this family had been renting from...
VERY important to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:08 PM

175 posts, read 372,209 times
Yes, I agree. I felt good about leasing to them after this.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:11 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
I have been told by a couple of PMs and RE agents that I can't veto a tenant because it's "against the law", that is, it exposes the PM to a discrimination lawsuit or some such.

Is this true? That I can't look at an application and say, no, I don't want this person living in my house, because somehow I'm violating their civil rights?

It seems to me the PM is going to want all the power and not have to waste their time asking permission to lease my house to a particular tenant, and that's the real reason they don't want me involved. The law is a red herring.

They did say, I can specify in advance the TYPE of tenants I don't want--smokers, pet owners, large families or whatever.

Also, does it sound right that a PM can make $75/month even if the house is vacant? I would have thought they should make $0 if no one's paying the rent. Why should I pay this guy if he's not doing his job?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 AM

13,730 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have been told by a couple of PMs and RE agents that I can't veto a tenant because it's "against the law", that is, it exposes the PM to a discrimination lawsuit or some such.

Is this true? That I can't look at an application and say, no, I don't want this person living in my house, because somehow I'm violating their civil rights?

It seems to me the PM is going to want all the power and not have to waste their time asking permission to lease my house to a particular tenant, and that's the real reason they don't want me involved. The law is a red herring.

They did say, I can specify in advance the TYPE of tenants I don't want--smokers, pet owners, large families or whatever.

Also, does it sound right that a PM can make $75/month even if the house is vacant? I would have thought they should make $0 if no one's paying the rent. Why should I pay this guy if he's not doing his job?
It is not against the law to say you don`t want those with poor credit, not enough income or a poor rental history that`s about it. It`s up to the PM to make sure the tenants are qualified but sadly some just want to rent the home as fast as possible and move on. When this happens you run the risk of problem tenants and if the PM company didn`t property screen the renters don`t expect them to provide much help once trouble starts.

Abut the $75:
Yes, there are PM companies that will change you for each month the property is vacant. Make no doubt PM companies are trying to make as much as they can off you which is fair enough. However, experience has taught me they often don`t keep their end of the bargain. They will do what is convenient for them and this can end up cost you money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area