U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: southwestern USA
1,780 posts, read 1,638,543 times
Reputation: 2302

Advertisements

We are from South Florida and considering AZ for retirement----probably in the Tucson area where it is a little cooler than in Phoenix.

The temps here run 91-93 daily during the summer, but the constant 60-70% humidity makes the heat index over 100 daily. I know AZ is pretty hot during the summer, but if one can survive the oven and blast furnace that is South Florida, we should be ok there.

The constant humidity here saps the energy,vitality, and substance right out of you. You are constantly sweating down here, and those who say its not bad during the summer stay in the AC all day and venture out only after 5pm.

I know life is not always greener on the other side of the hill, and am not looking to escape South Florida because I hate it-----after living here for 26 years, and originally being from the midwest, just looking forward to a new challenge---even with the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 AM
 
4,184 posts, read 11,439,736 times
Reputation: 4109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
The constant humidity here saps the energy,vitality, and substance right out of you.
oh, brother....how did our grandparents EVER make it?...or were they always tired, lethargic, and...uh....lacking substance?....toughen up, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Arizona!
661 posts, read 991,636 times
Reputation: 1046
I'm constantly surprised by how hot it is here compared to how it hot it doesn't feel. On my way home tonite at 10:30pm the radio said 100. I said 'huh'? and looked at the dash. It said 99. I love this place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
27,455 posts, read 37,259,102 times
Reputation: 17073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I'm constantly surprised by how hot it is here compared to how it hot it doesn't feel. On my way home tonite at 10:30pm the radio said 100. I said 'huh'? and looked at the dash. It said 99. I love this place!
The trick is shade and of course there is plenty of that at night. Nights here are gorgeous in summer, IMO. I remember so fondly the pool parties of my younger days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM
 
1,530 posts, read 3,333,983 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
We are from South Florida and considering AZ for retirement----probably in the Tucson area where it is a little cooler than in Phoenix.

The temps here run 91-93 daily during the summer, but the constant 60-70% humidity makes the heat index over 100 daily. I know AZ is pretty hot during the summer, but if one can survive the oven and blast furnace that is South Florida, we should be ok there.

The constant humidity here saps the energy,vitality, and substance right out of you. You are constantly sweating down here, and those who say its not bad during the summer stay in the AC all day and venture out only after 5pm.

I know life is not always greener on the other side of the hill, and am not looking to escape South Florida because I hate it-----after living here for 26 years, and originally being from the midwest, just looking forward to a new challenge---even with the heat.
dont let az fool you it can be a little humid too during monsoon season some parts more than others such as yuma can get really humid-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top