U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:13 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,316,737 times

Advertisements

You are right about "in the long run" provided we are at the tail end of a depression. However this looks more and more like the beginning of a world wide depression.

I met an old timer at LA Fitness a few years ago in Tempe. He told me that in New York in the 1940s, they could not even give away houses. And real estate was a burden all through the 1930s into the mid-40s. Renting was much better.

Tell me your job is secure and that you don't work in the government and you are not a physician. Then maybe I will believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
It's better than buying at the bubble, but in the long run; renters will lose.
A neighbor has an almost identical unit to mine. He pays 620 in rent; I pay hoa of 138.33 + 50 in re taxes. I paid 22K for my unit. So right there I am getting a huge, tax free, dividend on the first. Also, who has better appliances? I do. Who has better HVAC? I do. Who has better paint and flooring? Me. Who has the washing machine? Whose plumbing is in perfect working order?

You folks keep right on renting, I will need the income, when I retire at age 50.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:28 PM

2,897 posts, read 9,846,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracimus View Post
LOL... 2000-2002 is outdated.

I am considering the apartment at Monte Viejo on breadsley road. any opinion. I have seen apartment review about noisey, parking. I am not worried about noisey since I am hearing impairment.

also what about lucera apartment that are right next to Mesa Post office.

alot of in my mind to move to Arizona from Chicago due to low cost living.
I used to live in Monte Viejo, only for a 12 month lease though. The place was nice since it was new, but the layout and parking were bad, if you had friends over they had to literally park on the other side of the complex usually, no empty spots.

Lots of college aged people and kids, so it's very loud all day/night, but not as bad as the 7th st and bell area.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 AM

45 posts, read 111,782 times
My apartment is 750 Sq. Feet (but that includes a small balcony, so it's really a bit less). My bill from APS for 15 days in June was $45 with tax/fees so it would probably be about $90 for a full summer month. Just moved in so I don't know about other months

Other factors: The apartment has double-paned windows, I'm on a middle floor, and I don't get direct sun exposure.

ETA: Oh yeah, I guess another relevant factor is I keep the AC set to about 78 degrees all the time because I get cold easily and I have a couple of ceiling fans that help with the airflow/make it feel cooler. Building was built around 2000-2002.

Last edited by Lilina; 07-07-2010 at 04:52 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 AM

17 posts, read 47,163 times
I live on the second floor. Have a 2 bedroom apartment. I believe it is 900 sq ft. I keep it at 75 degrees during the day and 72 at night. My last bill which is was for june was $168.00. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>