Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM

478 posts, read 1,657,331 times

Advertisements

Well I've arrived in Phoenix, and so far love it (except for the dead scorpion I found in the rental house). The heat doesn't bother me, since we lived in Charleston - and had the humidity - which I HATE. I understand when the monsoons hit Phoenix does get humid though, but understand the light show is awesome.

Anyway we started house hunting in the Chandler area, and I am overwhelmed to say the least. Even with the new builds - OMG, so many to chose from, I had to quit after a few hours. We have yet to look at pre-owned homes, since we're not with a RE agent yet.

I still believe the value would be with a pre-owned home, since the homes have depreciated so much. We'd like a pool, so if we could find a pre-owned that has a pool, that would save us $30K right there, not to mention landscape, and window treatments.

It's tempting to buy more house than you need with the prices slashed so far, houses valued (at one time) $700-$900K for under $500K, but I REALLY would like to downsize this time, since our kids aren't moving with us - so it's just us 2 now.

It's just so confusing, and overwhelming - where to start? I understand the foreclosures and short sales are difficult to buy, since it takes so long for bank approval, and we may have a buyer on our house in Charleston - prior to listing, so our turn around time is short.

Any advice is welcome - we can spend up to $500K (maybe more), but would prefer to spend much less. Where do you predict the best buy is? Where in the area do you predict to bounce back - say IF we need to sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
You need to look at where the employment is to see the areas that may bounce back sooner. There is a large Intel in West Chandler, and a newer one in the Ocotillo area of Chandler. I think if you stay within a couple miles of the Santan (South of the Santan), you'll be in a good area. I wouldn't look as far Southeast as say Val Vista and Riggs Road, for instance. The area around the Chandler Airport is also going to be booming (already has Covance as an employer), and that area may be a better deal than the areas around Ocotillo or West Chandler, but further from the center of town.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM

117 posts, read 251,175 times
I don't have any advice really but my husband and I just moved here from Michigan and we rented first so we could take out time to learn the areas and have plenty of time to look without rushing. Good luck and I hope you find a wonderful house.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:26 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
You should have no trouble finding a lovely home in your price range (in fact I know some very nice ones under $400K).

Take your time and look around, do a little research, find a place you want to live. Go for value not price.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
are either of you working?....do you plan to stay in this new place for several years?....does it have to be in Chandler?....

Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 AM

Default Scorpions

I'm here on a house-hunting trip for a week. We're renting a house in the Ahwatukee Foothills area. So far I've come across 2 possibly 3 scorpions in the house (1 my daughter thinks she saw in the bathroom at night).

It's freaking me out a tad, is there anyway to get rid of them? Is this pretty common? We have 2 small dogs - how serious is it if they do sting?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Well, almost everywhere in Ahwatukee has scorpions so next time rent somewhere else. lol
While house hunting ask if there are scorpions. If you decide on a home then get a pest control company to do an scorpion inspection, it's well worth the 50 bucks. I've rented and bought at least 6 homes in the valley and never had them. I hate them, and I try everything I can to find out first if they are there. Ask neighbors, previous tenants, pest control in the area, agent, say that you will NOT live with them to who is showing you the property, ask them to find out. I've seen some when I went to look at homes and it was a noway on my part. Their a pain in the butt! So sorry you have to deal, some people don't mind them, but I'm not one of them.

It can hurt your dogs, if you notice them paying too much attention to something go and check it out. If they get stung you'll know it, it really hurts.

Make sure you check the showers before you get in, they like the water. Oh, and the beds before you get in them, they like those too, plus shake out towels before you use them.

Welcome to the wild west, I know, the weather is great but if it were snow or scorps, I'd pick the snow. lol

Last edited by twiggy; 07-09-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
You really ought to rent first - there's a lot of neighborhood quirks that you'll love or hate, and I'd hate to see anyone spend that kind of money & regret it. Get a one year lease, settle in, and pick exactly the right place for you. You'll have alot of places to pick from in your price range, and well below it.

I used to live around Rural rd & Chandler blvd, that was a quiet neighborhood with lots of great shopping & restaurants... Personally, I like to live near a Costco, there's a couple in that hood. would definitely move back If I had work there.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
It's tempting to buy more house than you need with the prices slashed so far, houses valued (at one time) $700-$900K for under $500K, but I REALLY would like to downsize this time, since our kids aren't moving with us - so it's just us 2 now.
Don't forget that those kids and other family and friends (and second cousins, and friends of friends...) are going to want to visit, especially around February! Why anyone would want a super-large house they then have to clean or pay someone to clean is beyond me, but keeping in mind the guests!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares84 View Post
I don't have any advice really but my husband and I just moved here from Michigan and we rented first so we could take out time to learn the areas and have plenty of time to look without rushing. Good luck and I hope you find a wonderful house.
We are originally from Michigan, both born and raised in MI. All our family remain in Michigan, except our adult children. We lived in Northville, and selling our house in 2008 was pretty bad - we ended up borrowing money to close. I understand the RE market has dropped even further since then, it makes me sad to see, since we consider that home.

Charleston also saw a drop in RE prices, but NOTHING like MI or Phoenix. Though it's a buyer's market I feel for those people selling - I was in their shoes, and it's sooooo difficult to see your house depreciate daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area