Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your water drinking habits?
I drink tap water (use it for making coffee, etc.). It's fine. 29 25.44%
I drink tap water but I use an in-home water filtration device. 50 43.86%
I wouldn't let my dog drink the water here. I buy bottled water by the case. 35 30.70%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
We actually buy bottled water for our dogs - one of mine got bladder stones about 6 months after we moved here. After a $1500 surgery to have them removed, and since the ONLY thing that changed in her diet was the water here vs the water in CT, the vets all said it was likely due to the hard water here. I'll pay the cost of buying bottled water to not have to put her through that again. And we don't drink the tap water either.
It's cheaper to put an RO unit under your sink. BTW, bottled water can be high in minerals as well. Bottled water is usually just filtered tap. The water you get from an RO unit is as close to distilled as you can get without boiling and collecting the vapor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Now I am thinking I need to give my pets bottled water, specifically my 19 year old cat. I don't need anything interfering with the function of her kidneys at her age.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
There are 2 types of iron in water iron bacteria which gives the rotten egg odor and iron mineral particles which cause reddish/brown discoloration. We have both in the mountains of NC where many households have wells and a wholehouse filter helps alot but we need to change the filters every 2-3 weeks to keep water clear and drinkable but not prohibitively expensive. Not sure if it would give same results on city water but sounds like similar issues.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM

129 posts, read 187,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Now I am thinking I need to give my pets bottled water, specifically my 19 year old cat. I don't need anything interfering with the function of her kidneys at her age.
If your cat is 19 yrs old with no problems, your water is ok IMHO.

We have recently moved to Sun City. We have a filtration system for our kitchen tap water. Water tastes and looks great. Most bottled water is the same thing. Water filtration is a lot cheaper and better for the environment.

BTW I'm from the Great Lakes Region, so I'm used to good tasting water.

Tudy

Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSvenska View Post
If your cat is 19 yrs old with no problems, your water is ok IMHO.

We have recently moved to Sun City. We have a filtration system for our kitchen tap water. Water tastes and looks great. Most bottled water is the same thing. Water filtration is a lot cheaper and better for the environment.

BTW I'm from the Great Lakes Region, so I'm used to good tasting water.

Tudy
My 19 year old cat has only been drinking the water here for 6 months. Before that, she was getting filtered water in another state. I am now worried the heavy calcium might be an issue for her kidneys, as they are usually the first thing to fail in old age for cats. The water in my apartment tastes "dusty" to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
The only real problem with a RO system is the amount of waste water it takes to create a gallon of RO water. I think it takes 3-4 gallons of waste water to get one gallon of RO water.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's cheaper to put an RO unit under your sink. BTW, bottled water can be high in minerals as well. Bottled water is usually just filtered tap. The water you get from an RO unit is as close to distilled as you can get without boiling and collecting the vapor.
We're specific on which brand we get for exactly that reason - we've looked into the RO systems. It's on the list. There's always a long list when you own a home in the meantime, the bottled water has been the best option.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My 19 year old cat has only been drinking the water here for 6 months. Before that, she was getting filtered water in another state. I am now worried the heavy calcium might be an issue for her kidneys, as they are usually the first thing to fail in old age for cats. The water in my apartment tastes "dusty" to me.
You may want to look into it. My dog was only 2.5 years old when this happened and it was the most awful thing ever to go through. Some of the stones they pulled out were the size of quarters

Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
phoenix water is disgusting. It tastes bad for a reason, it smells for a reason. It's poison to our bodies all that damn fluoride affects our teeth causing irreversible dental fluorosis, it greatly calcifies our organs especially our pineal gland (very important role in our body!) drink Alkaline water only! Of course the water is held up to standards, the people creating these standards keep changing what's safe to consume! It's sad that city officials don't see anything wrong with drinking tap but won't drink it themselves. Please educate yourselves on what's in our water and what's done to it to keep it "clean"

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krfab89 View Post
phoenix water is disgusting. It tastes bad for a reason, it smells for a reason. It's poison to our bodies all that damn fluoride affects our teeth causing irreversible dental fluorosis, it greatly calcifies our organs especially our pineal gland (very important role in our body!) drink Alkaline water only! Of course the water is held up to standards, the people creating these standards keep changing what's safe to consume! It's sad that city officials don't see anything wrong with drinking tap but won't drink it themselves. Please educate yourselves on what's in our water and what's done to it to keep it "clean"
Okay. Where are some references about all those negatives about Phoenix water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area