U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What are your water drinking habits?
I drink tap water (use it for making coffee, etc.). It's fine. 27 29.03%
I drink tap water but I use an in-home water filtration device. 43 46.24%
I wouldn't let my dog drink the water here. I buy bottled water by the case. 23 24.73%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM

65 posts, read 164,298 times

Advertisements

I have heard bad things about Phoenix's water quality. What is your opinion of the water there in terms of drinkability and taste, and what are your water drinking habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,087,600 times
Depends. I drink the tap water here. If it's refrigerated it tastes fine to me. But I grew up drinking the tap water here. Back then bottled water was something you put in your iron or radiator. Used to drink it straight from the cooler hose. That had a distinct taste!

I've talked to lots of newcomers who can't stand it. To them it tastes horrible. It's just a matter of can you get used to it.

Other than taste the water here is "hard". I can't tell you the number but you can taste the difference between bottled water and tap water. If you want to see the water quality reports go here:

RESIDENTS UTILITIES WATER AND SEWER - WATER QUALITY (http://phoenix.gov/menu/resutilwaterrept.html - broken link)

Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 PM

8,270 posts, read 6,092,479 times
I'm with you man. I find the tapwater to be just fine here (Chandler) and I don't even refrigerate it I just go from tap to glass, much easier and cheaper than dealing with bottled water.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,879,431 times
My doctor told me to stick to bottled water due to too many kidney stones. I have happily obliged. But I do give the dog the chilled filtered tap water out of the fridge.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,085,277 times
Even though there is no such thing as "cold" tap water in the summer, I like it just fine. It may be a little musty and chlorinated, I can't stand cold water anyways. The wife and kids only drink the filtered water from the fridge. The dog gets water from the outside spicket.

We do buy to much bottled water. I think we need to look into getting a sink filtration/5gal. water cooler.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 13,715 times
When i lived in Scottsdale, the water tasted like there was rust in it. Since I've moved into Phx, I have had no issues drinking from the tap.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:26 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,623,961 times
I like the water here in Chandler. I drink it every day. I even liked it when I stayed in Avondale and in Phoenix.

We do use a fridge filter though, but that usually doesn't do anything to taste, so I think it tastes just fine.

(And I come from Duluth, MN which arguably has THE best water in the United States. I've never been anywhere that has had as good of tap water as Duluth. You really didn't even need a filter there.)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,360,852 times
It depends. At my Phoenix address I prepare something on the stove that needs to be brought to a boil first, I use tap water. However for anything else I use bottled water.

Some places where I lived, the water would come out of the showerhead with a color when you first turn it on. That to me was a sign to never drink the water there. I don't remember if that was in Scottsdale or in Los Angeles. In the part of LA where I spend some of my days, I heard there is trace amount of benzene in the water. I rarely use that. When I have to, I bring the water to a boil first.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 AM

21,970 posts, read 12,770,324 times
I have a fridge with a filter and I drink water from it all day long.

But my tap water is so hard that it leaves a residue that is pretty amazing. Everyone in my family has decided that BP needs to harness it somehow because the build-up we get could plug the hole at the bottom of the Gulf in about six hours.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM

533 posts, read 1,791,378 times
If you live in the greater Phoenix area, you should really consider a water softener system due to the incredible hardness in our local water. Soft water is much better for your plumbing and for washing your clothes, dishes, etc.

However, most people find that soft water does not taste good so they add an RO system under the sink (which can also connect to the fridge).

I have this setup and drink the RO water. RO water is basically what you find in most bottled water, but at a fraction of the cost. I personally don't mind the taste of our tap water, but the only unfiltered water in my house is on the outside hose spigots.

As a side note, I have a titration type pool test kit that I have used to test the unfiltered tap water. A few times it had chlorine readings of 2.5 (mg/L), which would be considered a low (but not critical) reading for my pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area