Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,383 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. Will be relocating to Scottsdale from eastern PA (Philly area).

Figured a good opportunity to see alot of the country, and am planning out a 3 or 4 day driving trip.

Any one have any recomendations on some nice routes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
Depends on if you are driving your car or driving a rental van. My wife and I lived in Hershey for graduate school, so we have driven to PA and back to AZ in a moving van. Going out we took the northern route through MO, IL, IN, OH and then the PA turnpike. Driving the PA turnpike with a moving van was very nerve racking and I would never do it again. Moving back went the southern route through MD, VA, TN, AR. Thought it was a little more scenic than the northern route. But either way you have to go through OK, TX and NM.

Most of the scenic things to see will be at the beginning and the end of your trip. Not much to see in Oklahoma, Texas, most of NM and that's a day or two of driving right there.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcdic View Post
Hi guys. Will be relocating to Scottsdale from eastern PA (Philly area).

Figured a good opportunity to see alot of the country, and am planning out a 3 or 4 day driving trip.

Any one have any recomendations on some nice routes?
I took the northern route when I moved from CT as well. I didn't have a trailer or van as the previous poster mentioned, so for me it was good. If you are moving with a truck or trailer, that is definitely something to think about.

It's definitely cool to see how the lay of the land changes during the trip!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 PM

51 posts, read 238,961 times
I took a northern route that was different from the previously mentioned routes. I moved from Detroit and a friend of mine and I basically drove west through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska (which were boring as hell), but it allowed us to drive through the Rockie Mountains (which were AMAZING). We then drove from the Rockies just outside of Denver to Vegas, which for two guys in their early twenties was awesome. We didn't get into Vegas until around midnight, after about 15 hours of driving.... We stayed out until the 4 or 5 am and didn't exactly get up early to finish the trip. The drive from Vegas into town was neat because it took us through the Hoover Dam and we got to see quite a bit of the Arizona Desert (which is nice, but kinda dull) After driving 30 hours in 2 days, scenery doesn't matter. The only thing that matters at that point is how fast you're able to go and how quickly you're able to get to your destination. It took us 3 days total Detroit to Phoenix. We drove from Mi to the eastern end of Colorado in the first day alone. Iowa and Nebraska have no traffic cops, so you can go at least 10-15 over. We only got pulled over once, by ninja cops in Colorado (who came out of nowhere like Ninjas, hence the name). All in all, the trip was a blast and I'd definitely recommend our route (even though it was about 300 miles longer than the more 'direct' route).

Old 06-22-2007, 05:27 PM

319 posts, read 493,864 times
I would absolutely love to do that one day.

I drove from NYC to Montreal last year. Took about 10 hours. It was very interesting to see how fast the Catskill mountains turned into the flat Mohawk Valley, and back into even more spectacular mountains (Adirondacks).

You know whats the best thing about trips like that, tho?
Going to sleep at the end of the day.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 10,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I would absolutely love to do that one day.

I drove from NYC to Montreal last year. Took about 10 hours. It was very interesting to see how fast the Catskill mountains turned into the flat Mohawk Valley, and back into even more spectacular mountains (Adirondacks).

You know whats the best thing about trips like that, tho?
Going to sleep at the end of the day.
Thanks for the replys everyone.

We used a moving company, so just myself, the fiance and miles of tarmac...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: