Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM

16 posts, read 43,437 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I will be relocating to the Phoenix area in Sept. we live on the East coast right now, NJ. We are ready to get out!! We could definitely use a change of scenery!! Husband has been offerred a transfer so no need to worry about obtaining a job, just need to find a desirable rental in a community considered family oriented and choose decent schools for the kids (13 & 10). We have been looking in the Gilbert, Chandler area but definitely open to other areas, we welcome suggestions. Any advice on the South Tempe area?? H will be working off of East Thomas St, Phoenix so a short commute would be nice. I have been doing some research and I have found alot of negative viewpoints on living in Phoenix. Seriously, does everyone hate it there or is it just a select few with very loud voices. It is totally bringing me down, I was excited but now after reading and reading I am worried. If anyone has any thing POSITIVE to tell me about Phoenix PLEASE list it here. I am in dire need of some good news! My biggest fear is to get out there and absolutely HATE it and have our whole family miserable. Please only positive really can't stomach any more negativity!! THANK YOU!! Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
There are people who don't like it here. I think it is because 1) the don't like the hot summers, 2) they haven't lived in any other big city, and don't like big cities in general, 3) they have lived in a different big city and want Phoenix to be "just like" that other city, or 4) they're just a negative person.
Come to Phoenix with an open mind and ready to explore, and I think you'll like the place. Good advice is to visit first if you've never been here before.
As far as the east valley, I've never lived on that side of town, so I can't help much with that. I hear that both Gilbert and Chandler are nice suburbs to live in.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM

There are plenty of great schools here. Research the schools in neighborhoods you are interested in, find out if they are good or not for yourself. It can be hit or miss, but, generally, if you are in a "newer" part of the valley, the schools are generally good. There are plenty of excelling schools.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I know very few people who regret moving here. The vast majority out here in Estrella think they live in some sort of paradise. The same is true for the affluent who live in places like you are looking - Chandler, Gilbert etc.

This forum is way out of proportion in that regard. People come here looking for new places to live or to knock the old one to self-validate their decision to move. The moaning peaks in summer - heat of course.

Relax. If you have a job, money, and live in a nice house with a pool, in a nice neighborhood, suburban living simply doesn't get much better. Of course, you have to like suburban living because that is what PHX is all about by and large.

Use the forums to get information on areas you think sound attractive, things to do, where to find what you are looking for and take the negative stuff with a large, large grain of salt.

I hate Phoenix. I hate all cities. But if I must live in one, PHX is the only one that I would ever choose to live in.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Some school information that could be helpful:

Best Schools in Phoenix - Find a Good School in Maricopa County

Phoenix Area Schools 2008-2009 Arizona School Achievement Levels (http://www.samelam.com/PageManager/Default.aspx/PageID=2129731&NF=1 - broken link)

Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Mod Cut: Responding to deleted post.

Phx air quality is not horrid. There are a few days each year where the level rises to alert levels. The ozone standard was lowered a couple years ago, so now we get more ozone days. Travel around. They have ozone issues everywhere in the hot parts of the US. It is much better than many cities half its size. And if you live in the farther flung 'burbs the air quality is just fine.

There are good schools here and bad schools same as anywhere. You get what you pay for (in a house).

The immigration politics have nothing to do with you unless you want them to. Same with politics in general.

Phoenix might have water "concerns" but it hardly has a water problem. Phoenix has multiple sources of water and no shortage anywhere on the horizon.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-14-2010 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I think this forum is unique in that it's comprised mostly of laid back people. Even the people who like Phoenix are pretty relaxed and don't really defend it. On other forums, people including the moderators will ban you or cite you if you say something negative about their city. This forum is just laid back and tolerates a lot. But it should also show you why Phoenix is a nice city. I feel like people are pretty nice and laid back here. I've never heard anything negative about Phoenix until I arrived at this forum, it was eye opening for me because in my experience, I only hear glowing reviews about Phoenix ad nauseum. I think the reason for that is people who have lost jobs or are unable to sell their house have come here to incessantly whine about Phoenix. They are not representative of the city in the slightest.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
South Tempe is a great place to live. Excellent schools in the Kyrene district, some lovely neighborhoods, parks, etc.... you don't know you are in a "college town" but all the cultural, educational and entertainment benefits of the University are minutes away when you want them.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 AM

80 posts, read 172,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you have a job, money, and live in a nice house with a pool, in a nice neighborhood, suburban living simply doesn't get much better. Of course, you have to like suburban living because that is what PHX is all about by and large.
Pretty much nailed it here. Sounds like you have the job thing taken care of. You are looking in Gilbert, Chandler and South Tempe, all nice areas. Most homes already have a pool. Schools in the area you are looking are excellent, no worries there. This town has grown faster than just about any area in the country. That doesnt happen if its not nice here and the people dont love it. Just look at Detroit or any industrial midwest city to see the opposite.

Our family moved here from the Midwest and love it. Yes, it gets hot, but so does the Midwest and NJ. State government..... well just about all Government these days is run by crooks, so no getting away from that. The immigration thing is just the current fad. One good Hurricane or Scandal, and you probably wont hear much more about SB1070.

To move to a different state, any state, you need to be able to let go of where you left, and embrace your new area. You also must be able to live without your close family and friends. If you can do this, you will simply love Phoenix and the Southwest. Great people, great culture (contrary to what you hear or read, people here love and embrace the Hispanic culture) and just an all around great place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
Fear not jukebox, we moved from Indiana with a job transfer and we found a nice rental with a pool in Gilbert. We really like it here. Even though we arrived for the high temps, we have had so many adventures Already. Just yesterday my 8 year old daughter and I went horseback riding in the Scottsdale desert. My 6 year old son enjoyed the Goldberg mine tour. My teen girls love San Tan Villiage here in Gilbert and we all loved visiting San Diego a few weeks ago. Life was more static in the Midwest for us.
We feel safe here in Gilbert, though we take some more precautions than we did in IN. I prefer Gilbert for the family amenities but I hear S Tempe has some good schools, plus you'll be close to ASU with your older children.

We have no regrets and I get the feeling that many of the people who are less satisfied are used to either perfect S California weather or the cultural benefits of highly sophistocated areas. Again, as we are from a mid sized Midwestern city, for us living in Phoenix area is an upgrade, and my husband has a job here. Did I mention my husband got a good job here? Some time people(naysayers) forget that your choices in life are not so numerous. Its not like you can just pick a point on the map and find employment. When we drove through Albequerque I admit I fell in love, but we continued on to our new hometown with a job. If you enjoy the desert,fun road trips, big blue skies, vibrant Hispanic and Native American culture, you will probably like this area.

The way we saw it, this was our chance to have some adventure in our lives, so opted for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area