U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 11,121 times
Default What neighbourhoods to stay away from

Soon moving to phoenix and want to know what areas/neighborhoods to stay away from. Iam basically referring to the so called "ghettos" or "Hoods".

I will be moving within the next month or two and will be looking for a place temporarily, since i will not have time to first visit the area and look for a place myself, i will be relying on what i find online from websites such as craigslist etc and thus my reason of being weary of what areas to avoid or get myself into.

Also if any of you know of places that will offer temporary housing on a mth to mth basis i will really appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM

3,214 posts, read 5,663,844 times
Maryvale
Laveen
South Mountain
Parts of Glendale/Peoria
El Mirage
Parts of Avondale
Parts of Mesa
Parts of Chandler
Older parts of Surprise

I'm sure there are other areas as well. The pockets of bad are mixed in with pockets of good neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,725,602 times
There are quite a few mixed neighborhoods where you can be in an area of 1/2 million dollar homes than a few blocks away is a bunch of trailers. Some of the most notable areas that I highly suggest you stay away from are:

Maryvale
Most of Glendale
El Mirage
Avondake
MOST of Mesa
South Scottsdale
A good chunk of Phoenix (excluding N. Phoenix)
Suprise
Sun City
Apache Junction
Maricopa

Drive through an area at night and you'll definetly get a better feeling than in the daytime.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM

419 posts, read 1,016,922 times
If you have the money, stay east of Central Ave, and North of I-10.

Though there are pockets of nice places in the west valley, I am seeing them swallowed up by the trashiness. It's pretty weird to see a street lined with beautiful 3,000 sq ft homes with graffiti on the street signs and shopping carts laying around.

Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Fountain Hills are supposed to be pretty nice, and I think north of Arrowhead in Peoria. If you're on a budget or don't have a big family, I'd just keep renting in a nice area.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,121 times
what is the place around deer valley like. Just north of the 101 and east of I-17. I saw an ad for place in that area for real cheap and wondering what kind of area that is

Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,716,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskali View Post
what is the place around deer valley like. Just north of the 101 and east of I-17. I saw an ad for place in that area for real cheap and wondering what kind of area that is
It's ok, but certainly not the greatest. Older, rundown homes and condos. If you go west of the 17 it gets better.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM

42,372 posts, read 19,152,290 times
What neighborhoods to stay away from? I'll agree with the crowd here. The number one area would be Maryvale, and South Phoenix.

Another area to stay away from is Sunnyslope, although it has gotten better in the past few years, it's still got some ways to go.

Like somebody mentioned here, in the entire metro area, you'll find pockets of very nice neighborhoods, but just a short distance away, you'll also find areas that have been affected by urban blight.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM

202 posts, read 628,001 times
Don't forget Guadalupe and Central Phoenix.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM

4,299 posts, read 9,951,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Don't forget Guadalupe and Central Phoenix.

Guadalupe you crack me up. Can you imagine anyone moving there?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,725,602 times
Quote:
Guadalupe you crack me up. Can you imagine anyone moving there?
Not unless you have a death wish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area