U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 70,616 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
We are planning to buy house. We have identified north phoenix area .
Couple of miles North of 101 on Cave creek road.
So on 101 you take cave creek exit and go north , drive for couple of miles until Pinnacle peak and take west (left) on Pinnacle Peak which becomes Dessert Peak Parkway.

There are few old communities there within a mile or so and some resale homes are available.

I work near Mayo Clinic so it is 15 minutes away. We have 1.5 year old daughter.

I want to avoid I-17 happy valley areas (stetson valley / norterra )as there would be lot of traffic in office hrs. So it may take up to 40 minutes for one way commute to office.

Planning to live long term in this place if we go ahead and purchase.

Few questions I have are --
- How is this area ?
- Is it safe ? how is the neighborhood ?
- Are there any parks near by ?
- Are schools around here good ? I guess it comes under paradise valley school district
- Are there malls , shops near by ? for grocery and stuff ?
- Is it a good time to buy house ?

Appreciate your response and useful information.

I was told area near cavecreek road and bell / greenway is not that good, but hope we are far away from that area.?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM

3,248 posts, read 6,798,853 times
I'm thinking that you're talking about Mountaingate Ranch? That area seems fine as far as safety, I have no idea about the schools. It's kind of isolated up there, without a lot of other neighborhoods around, with the mountains to the West and a pretty large cemetery to the East. The other side of that cemetery is the highly coveted Desert Ridge community, about 2-2.5 miles East of Mountaingate, but about 30-40% higher in prices. Most of your "shopping mall" type stuff will be by Desert Ridge. I would imagine you could go there for the grocery trips too, or South of the 101. Not a terrible area at all. I would also consider some areas of North Phoenix just Northeast of PV Mall if you are looking for bargains in that area.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 PM

1,987 posts, read 3,785,721 times
Yes, that area is called Desert Peak and it is an excellent choice. Also consider Boulder Creek and Mountain Gate Ranch just south, all are nice.

The Desert Ridge area is also a possibility. This area has lots of shopping, dining, good schools and easy access to other parts of the valley.

Desert Ridge shopping center is one of the most popular magnets in the valley.

You could even consider Tatum Ranch just a little farther north. It has the advantage of lower taxes since the CCUSD taxes are much lower than PVUSD.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM

5,920 posts, read 10,437,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_phx View Post
I was told area near cavecreek road and bell / greenway is not that good, but hope we are far away from that area.?
If you've found an area you love, go for it, but you really don't need to go that far away to get decent schools. I'm just a couple of blocks from Cave Creek and Bell, lived here a year with no problems, PV schools, great shopping & even easier commuting. And there's quite a few $500k+ homes between me and the Cave Creek/Bell intersection you mentioned.

Look at neighborhoods, not "miles-from-bad-areas" in Phoenix. I can think of a couple of very nice neighborhoods that aren't quite "walking distance" to JCL, but they would certainly be "moped distance".

Phoenix isn't like Flint, Philadelphia or NY - you don't need to be 80 miles away to be "safe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or