U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 AM

5 posts, read 8,437 times

Advertisements

Hello...I know this is probably the 100 millionth thread on this subject but I just wanted to get a little more information...ok so here goes the story...

My wife and I are currently in CA and while we do love it here, we just can't afford it anymore. I am currently on disability until sometime in Aug and will be returning back to work at a company that is willing to transfer me to Az. My wife just got offered 2 jobs, one in Dallas and one in Phoenix. The pay is almost exactly the same, benefits everything identical except for her hours. Oh and the position in Phoenix is paying for relocation! Now we have lived in TX before and actually thought it was ok (getting use to the weather was tough). Housing is cheap, job market strong. The issue were that my wife was very homesick. Now that we have been back to Ca for a year, alot has happened. Had our 3rd child, I injured myself at the job and so on and so forth. We realize that it is time to get outta here. For the most part we have decided to go to Phoenix. Keeps us close to Ca, Nv and all of the entertainment that you don't get in TX. The company that she will be working at is in the 85034 zip code. The HR staff told her to look into living in Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa or Tempe. We are looking for diversity (I am white/she is black, 3 kids, one going to 1st grade in Aug.), entertainment, family oriented neighborhoods, stuff for the kids to do, etc. Which of these areas would be the best for me and my family. We are looking to rent a 3bdrm/2bth apartment or house, no more than $1200/mo. Also, we have looked into Peoria which sounds and looks really nice. Housing/apartments seem to be reasonable as well. Would you say that this would be to far from the job? How diverse is this area as well?

Any advice would be really appreciated...Any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 AM

17,474 posts, read 34,106,142 times
Peoria is too far; long commutes here get very tiring, and expensive. By the way, in what part of the Valley are you going to be working when you start up again?

I'm a Tempe advocate; the schools are good, good parks and rec program, excellent children's theatre headquartered there, great quality of life. It is the most diverse community in the Valley as well, largely thanks to the University. Interracial couples are not uncommon there (or in a lot of other areas here) so I don't think that is a problem. Gilbert and Mesa would be somewhat less diverse, and Gilbert and some parts of Mesa (including the nicer ones) a fairly long commute; Chandler, to me, would be the second option. I don't keep track of home rental prices here, but I would think you could find what you are looking for price-wise in Tempe. It might be an older home, but there are some really nice older neighborhoods here.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

5,887 posts, read 10,198,492 times
85034 is by the airport - dead center of town - you could live there, or as far as you feel like commuting in just about any direction. $1200/mo should get you a pretty nice sfr. Look closely at the expressways, imho - you should cross the "10" off your list of expressways if you have commute 9-5, it's a parking lot during rush hours.

You can usually punch into the center of town from the 51 (on the northside) pretty easily, the 17 is iffy in my experience, but ymmv -

Living in Tempe/Chandler/A-wa-tucky/ Glendale/ or Phoenix "proper" would give you the option to use surface streets, which would make the commute less stressful. Gilbert and Mesa are do-able, but peak hours commuting can be bad.

Any chance your wife works flexible hours? If your shift-timing is just a little different - Mesa, Buckeye, and even the far-north or south burbs become do-able.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,840,574 times
I work in the 85034 zip code and it is a *****hole area. Tempe isn't that far away I live there and its a short commute to work. peoria would be way to far and not worth the commute.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,704,792 times
I would start in the Dobson Ranch area of Mesa, and West into Tempe. Should be something good available at that price range.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,437 times
Thank you everyone for your input...

Zippyman-My wife will be working at American Express during evening hours or an overnight shift, so she may be going against traffic which is good. Being from Ca we have had positions in the past where we just sat sat sat in a parking lot so we are kind of use to it but would love to avoid it for a change.

Observer- She will be working in the 85034 area code which they tell me is dead center of Phoenix. We are coming out there next Monday and going to check things out a bit. We have found so many realtors and apartment locators that have given us a selection of places to look at and Tempe/Chandler/Mesa/Ahwatukee are definitely on the list. I have read on these posts that there are definitely some areas to stay away from...would you know of any zip codes to stay away from or some good ones?

LocoAZnative- So you work in that area? Any chance it's Amex? LOL...I have heard that the area is not that great..

Asufan- Thanks for the info..I am looking on craigslist at that area as we speak...

Thank you everyone for your input..you guys and gals have given me alot of options to look into. Please keep the advice coming!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,411,857 times
I work in that general area and live at the far end of Goodyear. The commute is not bad--about 40 minutes--and I love where I live in the Estrella community. It is very family oriented and the street I live on is quite diverse.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or