Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,760 times

Advertisements

So, something I've always wanted to know. Does it do your body any good to jog in this heat? Or is it damaging you more than the good jogging does?
I saw a guy who looked like he was dying this morning jogging down the street, I thought, oh my, he looks bad. But, I see so many people doing it. I'm guessing it's ok, but I would like to hear some opinions from some of you "jogging" experts. lol
I exercise indoors, always, except bike riding which I only do in the winter months. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,564,654 times
I think people jogging in the oppressive heat need a good, competent psychiatrist to figure out why they are really doing it!!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,221,716 times
I jog 3 miles every morning, at about 6:30 AM. It's been in the 90's at that time, which is hot, but you just need to drink water before, during and after. It really does no harm, since I am not getting any intense sun exposure, and I am staying hydrated. It actually feels great once I get home and take a cool shower. And then you can eat whatever you want throughout the day

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,247,300 times
My nephew runs cross country and trains all year. His physical and mental health seem to be better than average.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM

7,064 posts, read 9,102,969 times
There's nothing wrong with it. BUT, don't just go out there and start if you're not ready for it. Start slow, do it in the morning, drink enough water, acclimatize yourself to the heat. Just keep tabs on how you feel. If you start to feel overheated get in and cool off.

I'm still bicycle commuting. About 10 mi/day. Yes, it's HOT! But it's doable. Yesterday, on my way home I saw this shortish guy, kinda dressed like a boxer, jogging down the street. He didn't even look uncomfortable.

As far as doing yourself more harm.. Two years ago I was 40 lbs heavier. The extra weight wasn't muscle! I started commuting by bicycle in Aug '08. Over the next 6 mos I lost 35 lbs, my cholesterol dropped to acceptable numbers and my resting heart rate dropped below 60. So for me at least it is doing more good than harm.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:53 PM

268 posts, read 1,156,064 times
Jogging/running in itself is good for you, but I don't believe the added heat makes it any better for you. However,you do have to be more careful when it is this hot outside. It's also less enjoyable (at least for me it's less enjoyable). I still jog outside when possible only because treadmill runs are soooo boring, and I can last longer outdoors even with the added heat. It's a tradeoff of do I want to be more physically comfortable and jog/run indoors on a treadmill in the air conditioning and have it be mentally challenging with being bored to death, or do I want to be more mentally comfortable with the constant change of scenery and be more physically challenged with the heat. In the summers, I limit my runs to early early morning (6:00am start or earlier) or in the evenings at around 8:00pm after the sun has gone down.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,574,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I saw a guy who looked like he was dying this morning jogging down the street, I thought, oh my, he looks bad.
Every jogger I've ever seen has a look of excruciating pain on their face. A look that says WTF am I doing this for...

And anyone out jogging in the AZ heat is w/o a doubt one twist short of a slinky.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 PM

268 posts, read 1,156,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Every jogger I've ever seen has a look of excruciating pain on their face. A look that says WTF am I doing this for....
Yes, the sacrafices we make to get a hot lookin bod...

Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,679,498 times
This heat can be misleading and I would caution anyone that is new here to go slow and take lots of water. We witnessed a young couple out running in this kind of heat a few years ago, the husband was out in front and the poor girl was falling behind when all of a sudden she just face planted on the sidewalk. My friend scooped her up and put her in the a/c as fast as possible and drove her home. The husband was in the house and did not even wonder what had happened to the girl . So it can fool you big time. Go in pairs and stay together.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,760 times
Ok, so your all "crazy" healthy.. lol I love my treadmill and ipod, I admire you diehards but I still think you all are a little nutty. lol In a good way of course, no offense, but you do look uncomfortable to me. I think it's great that everyone cares about their health though, way to go.

Did you hear about that long run through the desert that everyone trains for? I saw a show on it, it looks crazy. I'm sure some of you runners have heard of it. It's purposely in the summer, through the desert. I thought some of them were going to die. I also thought that guy I saw this morning was too though, maybe it's just that determined look, whilst pouring in sweat. h aha

Go Heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area