Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Arizona is not unique in that regard. There are other states that have districts that don't conform to city boundaries.

There are plenty of places that have a single K-12 or "Unified" school district.
Does your argumentativeness somehow help the OP?
Is there any point at all? If she listens to your snide comments what does she gain? How will it benefit her decision?

AZ school districts are entities unto themselves this involves allot more than just boundaries.

Unified districts notwithstanding -the OP will need to pay attention to the school districts listed on the MLS records for the homes she selects and do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Does your argumentativeness somehow help the OP?
Is there any point at all? If she listens to your snide comments what does she gain? How will it benefit her decision?

AZ school districts are entities unto themselves this involves allot more than just boundaries.

Unified districts notwithstanding -the OP will need to pay attention to the school districts listed on the MLS records for the homes she selects and do some research.
No intention to be "snide" nor do I see anything like that in what I said. I just tend to want to correct things that are wrong. Sorry if you took offense.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,170 times
As a renter, I have twice been misled in terms of the boundary schools. Once was intentional I think - the Gilbert schools stated "could " have been attended through open enrollment but of course a new family will never make that time frame due to waiting lists. The boundary schools were all the lower rated Higley, which I have no opinion on they are just scored lower on Great schools(wesite I use).I declined that rental.

The rental home we chose listed Mesquite as our High school, and I found out when I went in that its Campo Verde, a new smaller school. I am very happy though its not yet rated. Moral of the story: when we buy a home next spring I will most definitely NOT trust the MLS listing, as someone helpfully suggested. I thought it was accurate as well.I will check a current boundary map online and call the school. I noticed a few homes on the MLS that are actually in boundary for this new high school, but are listed as the old one. As none of my children have started school yet, I have no real opinions but have been told in social conversation,East Gilbert and South Chandler are preferable for the neighborhoods they draw from.

Check your districts updated boundary!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,820 times
Chandler or Gilbert. I live in the Islands and there are lots of kids running all over the place. Like in my lawn right now...hold on I gotta chase 'em out.

Is Mesquite a nice high school? It wasn't even built when I went to high school...but I support them and have been to a few football games...as long as they don't play Mountain Pointe.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:24 PM

44 posts, read 171,345 times
Default Moving to Chandler-any asian neighborhoods?

Moving to Chandler this fall and as I have an asian middle school aged child, would like to have an area with great schools and an asian population. Any suggestions? If not asian, what neighborhoods do you recommend? price point <$200K THANKS!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Chandler and Kyrene section of Tempe. Don't really need to go further.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:44 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,170 times
Just saw Phoenix Magazine's top rated schools. Top rated HS's in my area were Mesquite, Highland,(Gilbert) Basha and Hamilton (Chandler). Most were in Kyrene districts of Ahwatukee(sp?) or Phoenix but I'm not buying there so not sure which.

My daughter loves the new Campo Verde HS so far for its size( smaller)and design. It has a grassy central courtyard with 4 buildings that house classes/activities radiating out. Students walk outside under covered pathways between classes. There are lovely mountain views all around. She is taking honors courses and has been challenged. We moved from a high achieving and rated school system in IN. Some of the teachers at Campo were pulled from Mesquite, I have been told. The bio medical department seems to be a focus, with new equipment.

I really prefer Gilbert over Chandler as a cohesive town for raising children, but there are some areas of Chandler that lie just below GermanRd where Campo Verde is that are appealing.

Hope this helps anyone! I think Gilbert is a very nice area for raising children.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love that sunshine! View Post
Moving to Chandler this fall and as I have an asian middle school aged child, would like to have an area with great schools and an asian population. Any suggestions? If not asian, what neighborhoods do you recommend? price point <$200K THANKS!
Well, just an Asian population of any kind? I know that we have a lot of Asians in South Chandler, at least one or two families per street. No real areas with just Asians though.
They have a Gakuen Saturday school at Mesa Community College, my daughter goes there. It's a Japanese school for transfers here that plan on going back and want there kids to keep up with Japanese education.
There are a lot of Korean and Chinese people with businesses around here. Doctors, dentist, but I would have to know if you just wanted any Asian people or a specific country? PM me if you would like help with this. There are certain clusters in different areas.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 AM

164 posts, read 772,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Just saw Phoenix Magazine's top rated schools. Top rated HS's in my area were Mesquite, Highland,(Gilbert) Basha and Hamilton (Chandler). Most were in Kyrene districts of Ahwatukee(sp?) or Phoenix but I'm not buying there so not sure which.

My daughter loves the new Campo Verde HS so far for its size( smaller)and design. It has a grassy central courtyard with 4 buildings that house classes/activities radiating out. Students walk outside under covered pathways between classes. There are lovely mountain views all around. She is taking honors courses and has been challenged. We moved from a high achieving and rated school system in IN. Some of the teachers at Campo were pulled from Mesquite, I have been told. The bio medical department seems to be a focus, with new equipment.

I really prefer Gilbert over Chandler as a cohesive town for raising children, but there are some areas of Chandler that lie just below GermanRd where Campo Verde is that are appealing.

Hope this helps anyone! I think Gilbert is a very nice area for raising children.
Basha, and Hamilton are in the Unified Chandler School District, and Mesquite is in Gilbert USD -- not Kyrene. Just wanted to clarify for folks reading....

btw, UCSD is one of the only districts in Arizona with a dedicated gifted program (their own classes, curriculum and teachers). [I never liked the term "gifted", maybe special Ed for advanced learners would get fewer people's undies in a bunch.... ]

Add: Just looking at UCSD elementary boundaries and I think it's nice that most of the schools cover an area of 2-4 square miles, not mega-schools like in parts of Phoenix. Don't know how that compares (I homeschool, so doesn't affect me ) but one thing you might want to look at when comparing areas.

Last edited by KatrynS; 09-01-2010 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: corrected Mesquite is in Gilbert

Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
It's actually CUSD, not UCSD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area