Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 29,691 times

Advertisements

So I'm heading out to Phoenix to lock down a place to live at the end of the month. I've narrowed down my search to either Tempe, west or south of the campus area or the downtown area.

I want to check out the nightlife in these two areas on my trip to help determine which area would be best for me. Tempe, I know most of the action is on or around Mill Ave.

As for downtown, from what I've been reading places like The Roosevelt, the Bikini Lounge and Camus sound promising. Any thoughts on these locations or other downtown nightlife to check out? Also, any advice on logistics for the above places (i.e. when to go, where to park, etc.)?

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to my move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
The downtown area has some great restaurants to check out that are very unique to downtown and you won't find them anywhere else...these include Cibo Urban Pizzaria, Fate, and Pizzaria Bianco. There aren't many clubs downtown but there is a very small strip of clubs on Central around Fillmore, but only if you are into latin/reggeton/salsa. There is also a techno club next door which seems to serve the gay community.
If you do go, go around 11:00 or later because until then, the latin club seems to be pretty dead...but it stays open unitl 4:00 AM.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks. The club scene isn't really my thing, but I'll check out those restaurants. Someone else was telling me about Fate and it definitely seems worth checking out.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Go to Tempe by Mill Ave/University. All the night life one can handle. Plus some festivals, outdoor concerts, art shows,and a great outdoor New Years Eve party! Knock yourself out!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 AM

132 posts, read 516,929 times
Mill is a good place but don't forget Old Town Scottsdale. Old Town has the most popular bars and clubs in the city. I don't go out there to much but when I do its always crowded.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:50 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Scottsdale -- the most popular nightlife scene in the area, but not for everyone. I often find the Scottsdale scene a little too flashy, nouveau-riche, and trendy for me.

Tempe -- used to be great with lots of venues for live music; less interesting and more corporate feeling these days; still good for festivals

Phoenix -- the least pretentious, most natural-feeling in my opinon. My favorites include the Roosevelt for excellent beer and snacks, Fate for late-night dining, and the Rhythm Room for live music.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM

132 posts, read 516,929 times
Just for the record, I to also prefer Central Phoenix over Scottsdale or Tempe. I would agree, The Roosevelt is great and don't forget Carly's. Carly's always has a chill atmosphere with good live music and good food. If you want to go a little North try Fez. Its a very trendy, contemporary place with good food and drinks.

I just wanted to throw out Old Town because nobody mentioned it. I have many friends who love Scottsdale. As mentioned, its not for everyone.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM

Cool - thanks for all the suggestions. From what I've read, places like the Roosevelt seem more my speed. I'll have to check it out this weekend when I'm out there. I've been out in both Tempe and Scottsdale and both were quite fun - just not neccesarily what I'm looking for in terms of an everyday stomping ground.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 AM

253 posts, read 376,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Scottsdale -- the most popular nightlife scene in the area, but not for everyone. I often find the Scottsdale scene a little too flashy, nouveau-riche, and trendy for me.

Tempe -- used to be great with lots of venues for live music; less interesting and more corporate feeling these days; still good for festivals

Phoenix -- the least pretentious, most natural-feeling in my opinon. My favorites include the Roosevelt for excellent beer and snacks, Fate for late-night dining, and the Rhythm Room for live music.
That's pretty spot on. Lately, Scottsdale has become less of a nouveau-riche scene and more of a glorified college scene, sort of an extension of Tempe - lots of spikey hair, wifebeater shirts, and lowriders.

Central Phoenix is the way to go. It also offers the upscale option if you want that, up along the Camelback corridor, and unlike Scottsdale it's real people and not nouveau-riche.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Pizzaria Bianco.
That place is A+++. Also, Vito's Pizza (I think it's in Peoria??) is the next best pizza in the area. Vito's looks like a dump, but it's a Mom-n-Pop family run place and their pizza is tops, Chicago Stuffed Style. Their sausage is excellent too - you can pre-order it. They make it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area