Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
Another factor of influence, is that Arizona has the 49th worst unemployment insurance benefit amount, at a maximum of $240 a week. This lowers the utilization rate, as many people deem it to not be worthy to file, and then they don't show up in the unemployment numbers.
The number of people receiving unemployment insurance payments has NOTHING to do with the unemployment numbers. The number comes from a household survey.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,408 times
Quote:
"The number of people receiving unemployment insurance payments has NOTHING to do with the unemployment numbers. The number comes from a household survey."
Both numbers are relevant to the big picture. But you are right, the Labor Department's formula uses the Household Survey to determine the percentage of the labor force that is not employed. I misunderstood this in the past myself.

From the BLS website:

"Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Persons who were not working and were waiting to be recalled to a job from which they had been temporarily laid off are also included as unemployed. Receiving benefits from the Unemployment Insurance (UI) program has no bearing on whether a person is classified as unemployed."

Labor Force Characteristics (CPS)

Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 PM

197 posts, read 392,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The number of people receiving unemployment insurance payments has NOTHING to do with the unemployment numbers. The number comes from a household survey.
I am surprised at this statement. I wonder why they even take the survey at all, if some such as you, believe it is useless.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I am surprised at this statement. I wonder why they even take the survey at all, if some such as you, believe it is useless.
I did not say the survey was useless. You suggested the numbers were skewed because people won't bother applying for the low unemployment comp in Az when, in fact, unemployment compensation is not a factor in the number. That was wrong and it was useless. Most of your comments can be put in the same bucket - a lot of anti-AZ garbage wrapped in a layer of fluff.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I did not say the survey was useless. Your statement that the numbers were skewed because people won't bother applying for unemployment in Az when, in fact, unemployment compensation is not a factor in the number, was useless. Most of your comments can be put in the same bucket - a lot of anti-AZ garbage wrapped in a layer of fluff.
Did not mean to offend you, in inquiring why economists conduct the survey in the first place. Arizona's UI utilization rate is one of the lowest in the nation however. I'm not sure how you know unemployment compensation is not a factor, when Nevada, New Mexico, California, and Utah all have much higher compensation and higher utilizaton rates.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Did not mean to offend you, in inquiring why economists conduct the survey in the first place. Arizona's UI utilization rate is one of the lowest in the nation however. I'm not sure how you know unemployment compensation is not a factor, when Nevada, New Mexico, California, and Utah all have much higher compensation and higher utilizaton rates.
Ugh.. See azjack's post above. The numbers are based entirely on a household survey. They call people on the phone. People say whether they are employed or not, whether they are looking for jobs etc. It has nothing to do with how many are receiving compensation payments in this state or any other one.

How useful is it? Since the methodology is consistent it can be useful for comparision. But due to the nature of the questions, some odd results can come during times of transition. For example, we may soon see a rise in unemployment in the survey even as the number of jobs and employed persons is increasing. This is because so called discouraged workers see things improving and decide to go look for a job again, but don't find one. Discouraged workers do not count in the unemployment number - only people who tell the survey taker that they are looking for a job. I think that the numbers are best used but in combination with other measures of employment including the employer survey and even state UI rolls. But the media puts a large emphasis on the household survey number and it is what most are familiar with.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-28-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Ugh.. See azjack's post above. The numbers are based entirely on a household survey. They call people on the phone. People say whether they are employed or not, whether they are looking for jobs etc. It has nothing to do with how many are receiving compensation payments in this state or any other one.

How useful is it? Since the methodology is consistent it can be useful for comparision. But due to the nature of the questions, some odd results can come during times of transition. For example, we may soon see a rise in unemployment in the survey even as the number of jobs and employed persons is increasing. This is because so called discouraged workers see things improving and decide to go look for a job again, but don't find one. Discouraged workers do not count in the unemployment number - only people who tell the survey taker that they are looking for a job. I think that the numbers are best used but in combination with other measures of employment including the employer survey and even state UI rolls. But the media puts a large emphasis on the household survey number and it is what most are familiar with.
Thanks for that explanation Ponderosa. I didn't think about it that way before!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
I would agree that no one really knows for sure what is going to happen with the property values. If you would have asked me last March 2009 if the values would go up in many parts of Phoenix I'd say no way!!

But many foreclosures got mopped up like in Goodyear North of 10 as well as parts of Surprise. Heck. Even El Mirage got bought up. If I had to place a bet, I'd put money that it will soften in the majority of the areas and at least some of the gains will be given back. The logic is simple. Week jobs and lots of folks walking from their homes. A lot of those homes that were bought will be coming back on the market too.

Since the bulk of BofA loans are government backed, they don’t have to be logical on when they release them. If a bank really owned all of those 12,000 notes then I think we could more easily predict that there would be pricing decreases.

I’m in the market to buy a home in Goodyear but I am waiting on the side lines to see what happens.

People are not as interested in researching homes in AZ (as represented by google searches on "Arizona Homes"). See http://www.google.com/trends?q=arizona+homes&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sor t=0 (scroll to the right to see later dates).

Last time the government tax credit changed the direction of the momentium and people jumped on as fast as they could. I'm not so sure that it would next time.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Much has to do with the job market, and with Arizona's 8th worst U-6 unemployment rate in the country things do not look well. The government is also tightening up incentives for housing, which was a major driver in the past year. For us taxpayers, we can be thankful they won't be using this method for much longer.

Arizona Republic's 10% drop in Phoenix values seems optimistic at this point.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
and with Arizona's 8th worst U-6 unemployment rate in the country things do not look well.
I wish this nonsense would stop getting thrown around. Arizona is ranked 33rd in unemployment, tied with NJ. The U-6 includes "under-employed". What is "under-employed"? How many "under-employed" people have mortgages? Of those, how many aren't making enough to pay it? Those are important factors to consider when talking about U-6. It's likely that 90%+ of "under-employed" folks are either renters or are providing a second income to a household. In other words, U-6's impact on the Phoenix housing market is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area