Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,140 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job in Phoenix, and I would be relocating in a bout a month.

I have been reading things about Phoenix, the good the bad and the ugly, but cutting to the chase my family is composed by 3 kids, my wife and I.

1. My wife is a personal trainer and I would like some input on how "easy" would be for her to re establish her proffessional life once we move.

2. My kids are 18, 17 and 12 and I hoping for good schools, particulary for the youngest one since the older ones are almost done.

3. My job would be located close to the Metrocenter in the Eaton Industrial area. Any recomendation on where to look for a house in a good neighborhood?

4. My job will pay a little less than $60K, is that enough for a decent living with my family till my wife gets a job? (just in case it takes a while)

5. I am a little concerned about gang activity ... would like to stay away from activity areas, and would like to have my kids attend to schools that don't have (possibly any) gang activity.

Thanks in advance, your feedback is highly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
You ll do just fine in PHX at 60K a year. Even with 3 kids. Depending on how long a commute you are willing to endure, my guess is you will get mostly suggestions for West Valley communities such as Surprise, Peoria, Glendale. Scottsdale would be nice...but 60K with a family wont get you much in Scottsdale. The drive down to the East Valley cities (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, etc..)up to Metrocenter would not be fun every day.

I wouldnt look very close to the Metrocenter area. Its not horrible, but it is a little more "established", so there will be some gang activity etc.

Check out the west valley..

Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I would lean towards arrowhead and deer valley .... surprise could be alright, but it's would be a bear getting from the 101 to the communities

I make the commute to that area from goodyear and it is normally around 45 minutes and a pretty easy drive (24 miles, mainly freeway)

the area directly surrounding metro isn't the most desireable

I have coworkers who come in from tempe and some of the historic neighborhood areas - most live in the north valley though from scottsdale to northern peoria

Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 AM

7 posts, read 27,057 times
I would checkout Avondale and perhaps south Glendale area. Even Peoria. If you are looking for good schools, unfortunately Arizona is rated I BELIEVE fourth worst currently for schools. It is the most liberal state in the United States in establishing Charter schools. The idea of this is benevolent, but it has gotten out of hand when it comes to funding all of these schools. In the state of Arizona, you have the option to send your kid to ANY school of your choice. Meaning if you live all the way in the east like Apache Junction, you could send your kid to Goodyear (all the way in the West) as long as you provide means of transportation. Otherwise your public school district in your area provides a bus service. I would highly suggest Avondale. It's one of those cities that is not HUGE. I believe the population is around 75,000, but it also grew 40,000 in the past 10 years. It will grow very large and once the economy shifts back upward with the housing market, it could be worth it, because houses out there are not too expensive and you can get a lot out there. The area is decent in restaurants and (some) shopping. I will admit they do need better malls in West Phoenix. Overall it's a great area for a family! Gangs.... hmm it does depend on the area. That area is not so bad. South of Phoenix, the airport area, parts of Mesa are not the greatest areas. Most of the gang related stuff has more to do with a lot of drug issues. Overall if you are not walking around the city at night alone (like most cities) and are not involved with illegal activities, you should be fine. You will notice that the city has some graffiti issues in certain areas, but that's it. I am actually trying to promote doing something about that. I will tell you that no matter where you live in Phoenix, you're going to drive. It's not an established city in the sense that even though it's heavily populated it's rather new. In fact there are only 2 interstates (10, 17) as of now. It's still a driving community. The light rail is new, but it's limited to North Phoenix and the south East Valley District so far. Any other questions, please ask, I just moved here, but I've been coming here for years and have researched a lot and take part a lot in the Phoenix community and would be happy to answer any more questions or concerns that you may have.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Thank you so much for your quick reply. It is understandable that when you move to a big city traffic will be an issue, gangs will be an issue, etc.

But we have never been there and I really look forward to it.

I just want to make sure that I can provide to my family and that the move won't hurt my kids future.

It also looks like the housing market is a buying market (very depressed), but on the flip side there are a lot of restrictions.

I gotta say, after reading so many posting I really consider Phoenix people very nice and accomodating. Looking forward to getting there soon!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I would not go as far away as Avondale. Agree with Arrowhead, Deer Valley, and would add Moon Valley to the east (Thunderbird Rd-- 19th Ave over to 7th St area). RENT before you buy.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 PM

I was considering renting for a year, but there are not too many options on the renting market ... which suprise me.
We woiuld love to get a house with a pool since it is sooooo hot there

Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I think Avondale is a possibility. The commute would be less than 45 mins easily. Stay north of I10 in Avondale, first for the commute and also because south of I10 is not that great an area though it is new. North of 10 has better schools, nicer neighbors, etc. There are more rentals south because the area is new and had many foreclosures, but the rental selection probably is better than it appears from a distance. They seem to be abundant. The big issue with rentals is it's going to cost quite a bit more than to buy. On the other hand, you may avoid buying in an area you are not familiar with and making a big mistake. And just to correct a misconception, gangs are not likely to be a problem in the areas with incomes in your range.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
I would look in pockets of Glendale and Peoria. The Peoria School district is generally more respected than those in the outer suburbs mentioned like Surprise and will be closer to your work. I live in Surprise and work for the Peoria School District. It is about a 35 minute commute for me so add about 5-10 minutes to that to get you to Metrocenter. The school I teach at is in a nice area bounded by 59th Avenue on the east, 67th Avenue on the south, Thunderbird on the north, and Cactus on the south. You'll find these pockets throughout Glendale and Peoria. You just have to be diligent and don't let a low price for a home suck you in. There is truth in the adage, "you get what you pay for".

Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate all htis feedback!
We were looking into spending about $1,200 in rent, and we were looking at a 3 bedroom minimum, with an ideal on a 4 bedroom house.
It seems there is not much in that range though.
Thanks again, and if there any more suggestions, shoot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area