Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM

244 posts, read 814,439 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a single black female, early 30's, considering accepting a job opportunity in the Phoenix area and just had a few questions.

1. Is $30,000-$32,000 a year enough to live comfortably in the Phoenix or Tempe area?

2. My job will be in Tempe, near W University Dr and Hohokam Expy. Is this area a good starting point to look for apartments? I will have a car, but do not want a very long commute. I would not mind taking public transportation if that is a possibility.

3. About me: I am more of a homebody, but do not mind going out to movies, restaurants, hiking, etc. I would prefer a walkable neighborhood that is not so suburban, but I know that most of Phoenix is not like this. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Hi there..saw your post...I too am a AA sista trying to relocate to the Valley of the Sun....If you don't mind me asking....how easy was it for you to network? Where will you be relocating from?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Iniversity and Hohokam is and industrial park area. You can look at apartments starting @ University and Priest. This area will have a larger college presence, but shouldn't be overwhelming. You can talk the 30 bus down Unversity towards your work.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
Hello. I am a single black female, early 30's, considering accepting a job opportunity in the Phoenix area and just had a few questions.

1. Is $30,000-$32,000 a year enough to live comfortably in the Phoenix or Tempe area?

2. My job will be in Tempe, near W University Dr and Hohokam Expy. Is this area a good starting point to look for apartments? I will have a car, but do not want a very long commute. I would not mind taking public transportation if that is a possibility.

3. About me: I am more of a homebody, but do not mind going out to movies, restaurants, hiking, etc. I would prefer a walkable neighborhood that is not so suburban, but I know that most of Phoenix is not like this. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
I think you'd be fine. The shorter the commute, the more saving on your monthly expenses. There are apartments in that northwest part of Tempe, or you could go further east down University, to the other side of the campus, or north to the area in Phoenix that is just outside Tempe.. lots of apts built along the light rail. You would not be able to use the light rail to and from work, but it would be handy when you want to venture into downtown Phoenix. Bus and light rail info is available here:

www.valleymetro.org

Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,418 times
Glendale is also a good area to consider and a much safer area than Phoenix itself. You can take the 101 down to Tempe, too. If you're looking for apartments, check out Mark Taylor. They have several properties in Tempe, Glendale and Phoenix. We rented with them for 2 years and they were absolutely great. Hope this helps!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Glendale is also a good area to consider and a much safer area than Phoenix itself. You can take the 101 down to Tempe, too. If you're looking for apartments, check out Mark Taylor. They have several properties in Tempe, Glendale and Phoenix. We rented with them for 2 years and they were absolutely great. Hope this helps!
You don't want to live in Glendale and work in Tempe. One reason is the commute and the second Glendale is a step down compared to Tempe.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Glendale is also a good area to consider and a much safer area than Phoenix itself.
That is misleading. There are good and bad places in both.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:26 PM

244 posts, read 814,439 times
Thanks to everyone who posted! It has been helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Hi there..saw your post...I too am a AA sista trying to relocate to the Valley of the Sun....If you don't mind me asking....how easy was it for you to network? Where will you be relocating from?
Hi westcoastbabe. I sent you a DM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Iniversity and Hohokam is and industrial park area. You can look at apartments starting @ University and Priest. This area will have a larger college presence, but shouldn't be overwhelming. You can talk the 30 bus down Unversity towards your work.
Is this area safe for a female? Is noise an issue? I know some college areas can get rowdy, but I do not want to live in too much of a family-oriented area....if that makes sense.

Quote:
If you're looking for apartments, check out Mark Taylor. They have several properties in Tempe, Glendale and Phoenix. We rented with them for 2 years and they were absolutely great. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip about apartments. I will look into that.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
You don't want to live in Glendale and work in Tempe. One reason is the commute and the second Glendale is a step down compared to Tempe.
Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. If it's a "step down" it's a very, very tiny one.

But, you are right, the OP wouldn't want to live there and work in Tempe.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
$30k/yr won't buy much of a life anywhere, especially Tempe -

it would be very easy to spend a large percentage of your income just for rent in Tempe.

If you're really careful and look around alot, you could do ok, but car payments, insurance, etc could really crimp your style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area