U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 PM

22 posts, read 88,166 times
Default Is the tap water in phoenix drinkable?????????

I am wondering is the tap water in phoenix drinkable? What about after boiling?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 20,843 times
To most people, the tap water quality is very low compared to other places. It is recommended at a minimum to have extra filtration. For some neighborhoods, boiling is almost a must.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM

13,944 posts, read 16,874,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleSnake_Heads View Post
To most people, the tap water quality is very low compared to other places. It is recommended at a minimum to have extra filtration. For some neighborhoods, boiling is almost a must.
That's ridiculous. I don't live in Phoenix, but I work there, and I DO drink the tap water. Actually, it's rated fairly well in comparative testing, etc. Extra filtration "recommended" by whom? The companies that sell filtration systems? Boiling? NOT necessary.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,334,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlfrank View Post
I am wondering is the tap water in phoenix drinkable? What about after boiling?
ALL tap water has fluoride added to it so no, it is not safe to drink. Always buy bottled water as it does NOT have fluoride in it.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 PM

3,414 posts, read 4,845,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
ALL tap water has fluoride added to it so no, it is not safe to drink. Always buy bottled water as it does NOT have fluoride in it.
fluoride was the "communist plot" of the 1950s, right??....many people today have no cavities at all because of fluoridated water....one of the few/great success stories of government regulation.....

the tap water is entirely safe to drink, but may taste a bit "earthy" to some....it is tested continuously and is probably safer than some bottled water, which, sometimes, is never tested at all.....seems funny that water is often more expensive than gasoline....

I have one of these Pur/Brita-type filter pitchers in my fridge which I fill with tap....takes away the "earthy" taste of the tap.....I do not buy bottled water except for camping trips....

Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,334,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
fluoride was the "communist plot" of the 1950s, right??....many people today have no cavities at all because of fluoridated water....one of the few/great success stories of government regulation.....

the tap water is entirely safe to drink, but may taste a bit "earthy" to some....it is tested continuously and is probably safer than some bottled water, which, sometimes, is never tested at all.....seems funny that water is often more expensive than gasoline....

I have one of these Pur/Brita-type filter pitchers in my fridge which I fill with tap....takes away the "earthy" taste of the tap.....I do not buy bottled water except for camping trips....
As I said, this is not Phoenix specific. Fluoride is bad, very bad. It is one thing to brush your teeth with it, but to drink it, c'mon now.

Scientific Study Finds Fluoride Horror Stories Factual

Oxford Professor Calls for Mass Drugging Population Through Water Supply

Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 AM

13,944 posts, read 16,874,863 times
Quote:
As I said, this is not Phoenix specific. Fluoride is bad, very bad. It is one thing to brush your teeth with it, but to drink it, c'mon now.

Scientific Study Finds Fluoride Horror Stories Factual

Oxford Professor Calls for Mass Drugging Population Through Water Supply
I'd want to read the studies cited before I would buy the "spin" put on them by some website. I drink mostly bottled water, too, but flouride is a nonissue for me at this point, so that's not why.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,996,595 times
Quote:
Bottled water is usually just filtered water from the same source. It would be interesting to see an analysis comparing flouride levels in tap water vs bottled water.

To the OP: I grew up in Phoenix drinking tap water. I still drink tap water, refrigerated. That is because this time of year my cold water is warm out of the pipe. Many people don't like the flavor because it is hard water.

Building to building differences may be because of variation in the water line quality (pipes). If you don't run water thru an iron pipe for a while the pipes rust causing a reddish color in the water.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM

2,268 posts, read 3,540,334 times
Phoenix water is perfectly safe but tastes awful. Water from a vending machine for 25 cents is tons better. My grandfather lived on 59th Avenue and Van Buren back in the 50's. His water must have come from some local source and tasted just like soap. He always kept glasses of cold water in the refrigerator, I guess it improved the taste.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,996,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Phoenix water is perfectly safe but tastes awful. Water from a vending machine for 25 cents is tons better. My grandfather lived on 59th Avenue and Van Buren back in the 50's. His water must have come from some local source and tasted just like soap. He always kept glasses of cold water in the refrigerator, I guess it improved the taste.
Yeh. I keep my tap water in the fridge too. It tastes better to me that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area