Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:08 AM

17 posts, read 129,880 times

Advertisements

Last night, I was driving eastbound on Camelback road passing by 12th street in Phoenix, near all the car dealerships. There is some kind of photo radar at that intersection, not sure if it's a red light camera or a regular traffic camera, and I believe I was driving 5 or 6 over the 35mph speed limit. I ended up being flashed. I was passing through while the light was on yellow, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I know that all photo radar ended on state freeways, but does the same go for city streets? If so, why was I flashed? Finally, if I do receive a ticket in the mail, is it true that if you discard it, as well as ignore or evade people trying to serve you the ticket in person, it is deemed invalid after 6 months?

I'm kind of paranoid about this, and frankly I don't feel like I deserved that ticket, since I very rarely go over the speed limit unlike many drivers out there, and I was not going much over the limit at that specific moment either. I am mostly confused because the photo radar thing apparently ended last month, and I don't know whether or not that includes the cameras that are on the various city streets.

Thank you for any help in advance! I am new to this forum!

PS - I have never had a speeding or traffic ticket before!

Last edited by sgfernandez; 08-06-2010 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
City radars and red light cams are still on. The freeway cams have been turned off. The cities don't give the same 11 mph cushion that the freeway cams did. Some cities use "alternative service" to collect the tickets, and hiding from the process server may not work. Also city tickets are not point-free tickets. It will go on your record unless you go to traffic school.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,584 times
If you don't feel you deserve the ticket, own up to it and go to court and fight it. I am sure the judge will be on your side....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM

17 posts, read 129,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
If you don't feel you deserve the ticket, own up to it and go to court and fight it. I am sure the judge will be on your side....
Haha, is that sarcasm? Or do you mean that judges are sick of hearing about photo radar tickets and just want to get it over with?

And it happened in Phoenix, and I live in Tempe... do either of those cities do alternative service?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfernandez View Post
Haha, is that sarcasm? Or do you mean that judges are sick of hearing about photo radar tickets and just want to get it over with?

And it happened in Phoenix, and I live in Tempe... do either of those cities do alternative service?
Scottsdale is the only city that does alternate service. All other tickets can go right into the trash can where they belong.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 PM

140 posts, read 467,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
City radars and red light cams are still on. The freeway cams have been turned off. The cities don't give the same 11 mph cushion that the freeway cams did. Some cities use "alternative service" to collect the tickets, and hiding from the process server may not work. Also city tickets are not point-free tickets. It will go on your record unless you go to traffic school.
Most cities are 11MPH still with the exception of school zones. And just register your car in your wifes name, and hers in your name and send the ticket back with a blown up picture of you and say you were not driving. End of story, end of ticket.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfernandez View Post

Yes a little sarcasm directed at the comment that you don't feel you deserve the ticket. It just struck me as funny and I equate it to there being no guilty people in jail. I mean being a little over the limit is kind of like being a little pregnant.....

I am not sure about Phoenix but I know in Chandler they have an officer assigned to go to court for photo radar tickets and the judge there rarely if ever lets people off. I imagine your best bet is going to be traffic school, which since it was cut to 4 hours is far less painful than it used to be.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Here is what bugs me. With all the loons driving drunk, on drugs, texting etc. I often find it more important to watch out for my fellow drivers rather than keep my eyes glued to the speedo constantly. Therefore occasional over-speed occurs. Bravo Foxtrot Delta!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:14 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,599 times
The photo radar is for one thing only - revenue. They hope people are fooled by the "safety" marketing.

Clearly AZ was not getting enough revenue from the freeway cameras, and thus they are shut down. Has nothing to do with safety.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:15 PM

26 posts, read 89,527 times
I used to get flashed on freeways for going just a few miles over the speed limit. I never got a ticket though and it's probably because I wasn't doing more than the aloud 11 mph over the limit.

Some people do consider going through an intersection fast during a yellow as blowing a red light and that could be why you got flashed. I personally don't think those cams are meant to catch speeders though. If the yellow was about to change to red then yes you got flashed for blowing a red light. If a green just turned to yellow then you should still be safe from a flashing. Unless your a celebrity like Tila Tequila, then you'd probably get in trouble for it by police. She was able blow a red light, in full view of police, after getting a ticket for driving on the wrong side of a road!

Last edited by BigRob69; 08-08-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area