U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,216,583 times
There is a Japanese store in Tempe on Priest and University I believe. It's small but pretty cool. My kids go there to practice their Japanese. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM

4,215 posts, read 10,047,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novsaggi View Post
There is Lee Lee in Chandler & Asiana grocery in glendale and one more place
What are the cross streets for the Glendale one? I've been there once and I can't remember how to get there!

As ppl have mentioned, there's a Chinese Cultural Center but it's un-impressive. The dimsum place there is a hit or miss. Inconsistent quality.

I've never been to the Chandler one but there's a Lee's Sandwiches (like the Vietnamese sandwiches) and one of these days I'm going to make it a point to head over there! (it's an hour drive for me)

It doesn't help that PHoenix is so spread out. There's not really a good middle ground to build a decent Chinatown, IMO.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,675,950 times
Great Wall on Camelback has decent dim sum, much better and more consistent than the Golden Buddha one in the CCC. It's not as good those in Vegas or LA, but it's fine when I have a hankering. Lee Lee in Glendale has a decent restaurant, but it's Cantonese style. Their snow peas are amazingly close to the real thing in Guangdong.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM

1,526 posts, read 4,052,472 times
Phoenix's historic Chinatown no longer exists. It once stood where the US Airways Center is now located, but was not preserved.

As mentioned in some of the posts above, the Dobson Corridor in west Mesa and Chandler is currently where the most authentic Chinese restaurants and groceries are found. I'd actually say it starts at Main, where Asian Cafe Express and Mekong Plaza are located, and then continues down into Chandler. Even though Mekong Plaza is mostly Vietnamese rather than Chinese, there is a dim sum place being added to the food court.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:05 PM

8,466 posts, read 10,553,422 times
Lee Lee's has a newer store on 75th and Cactus. I love the different fruits and vegies along with different ethnic foods not just Asian. They also have a fresh fish tank.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 PM

9,027 posts, read 9,595,572 times
There is a huge Chinese community in Phoenix but not a formal Chinatown. They could easily form one but due to our lack of a downtown/urban center, we don't have one. We have a Chinese cultural center but most Chinese live in Chandler. There are Chinese spread all over the Valley. A lot of Chinese moved here from California due to the low cost of living and opportunity to start a business in a growing community. And the proximity to Cali helps too since the community can easily commute and catch up with family if they want to see them.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 AM

86 posts, read 122,084 times
China Chan near Metrocenter Mall (next to the Olive Garden) has Dim Sum better than the Great Wall. No chasing carts in the dining room, order off the Dim Sum menu, and they bring it out to your table.

It's quite a plain-jane place, but they score the "Silver Award" per the county health reports for being very clean, and they pass inspection.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,797,601 times
A real "Chinatown" is an historical artifact of now-illegal zoning and deed restrictions that prevented them from living anywhere else. Asian people lived, worked and had businesses there. That was what existed in the area that now houses US Airways Center, but the community was not large enough to survive and they dispersed around the valley. Any new Chinatown-type area would just be a fake place created for tourists.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 AM

45 posts, read 39,907 times
China King at Ray and Alma School has pretty good dim sum, nothing like China town in Toronto, but it is pretty good with really good prices...you know it's authentic if 95% of the people in there are Asian, and if they barely speak English...I mean that with respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area