Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM

29 posts, read 64,256 times

Advertisements

I am looking now for a possible relocation within the next year. I keep seeing something about a percentage fee on rental homes. Example I just saw a home being rented for $1095 with a 4% monthly rental fee. Can someone please explain what this is. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,710 times
It's likely because as a landlord they tax the rental income received but usually the landlord would just factor that in for the rent.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM

848 posts, read 966,892 times
Because for some reason the laws here require a small tax to be charged on the rental once a landlord rents out X number of properties (varies from city to city). I've never seen it before in other places and it's honestly pretty petty. It is what it is I guess. I don't understand why it's not just included either, unless the law specifically requires it to be itemized.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 AM

269 posts, read 534,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Because for some reason the laws here require a small tax to be charged on the rental once a landlord rents out X number of properties (varies from city to city). I've never seen it before in other places and it's honestly pretty petty. It is what it is I guess. I don't understand why it's not just included either, unless the law specifically requires it to be itemized.
It's not included because the city can change the rate on a whim. If it's not included, the owner can pass the expense on to the tenant. If it is, they eat any increase.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:07 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger427 View Post
It's not included because the city can change the rate on a whim. If it's not included, the owner can pass the expense on to the tenant. If it is, they eat any increase.
That's only somewhat true; on the standard lease there is a seperate place for the tax so if it does go up it can be changed. So if my rent is listed at $1200 in Peoria the lease says rent is $1178.78 a month plus tax of $21.22 at 1.8% totaling $1200.00 and if Peoria increases their tax rate I can bump the rent in the middle of the term. Only property managers are playing this fee game and it is a deceitful business practice.

The taxes are very low but property managers add an additional fee on top of that bringing it up to the 4-5% you will see normally. It is done so their listings are caught in your search at lower rates so they can at a glance compete with people who don't play the games or don't have to pay the taxes and some Realtors are in on it or I'll informed. I've said things like sales tax is already included in my rate and had multiple agents look at their clients and say that is how it is always done, stupidity or lying it is hard to tell.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Yeah I'd agree it seems deceitful and not a place I'd rent from. There are a lot of landlords that don't pull shady crap, go with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: