U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 AM

6 posts, read 16,172 times

Advertisements

What are these roaches attracted to? Is it possible my neighboring suite has attracted this roach to mine?

They are big! Lol!

Has anyone had experience with one crawling on you?

I am very immaculate, cautious and at an extended stay hotel where this 2 inch American Roach waltz'd into my suite.

Thank you in advance for your sharing any experiences.

Sincerely,

The New Lady from Ohio

Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,373,992 times
Yea, we have some big roaches here. Not a lot to do because they are coming in from outside so you will get one coming in once in a while, a shoe is helpful. lol

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 AM

17,573 posts, read 20,896,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterLMW View Post
What are these roaches attracted to? Is it possible my neighboring suite has attracted this roach to mine?

They are big! Lol!

Has anyone had experience with one crawling on you?

I am very immaculate, cautious and at an extended stay hotel where this 2 inch American Roach waltz'd into my suite.

Thank you in advance for your sharing any experiences.

Sincerely,

The New Lady from Ohio
They supposedly come up through the sewer system. They are seasonal - summer. I have scorpions at my house and they keep down the roaches.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 PM

1,128 posts, read 948,466 times
Man did I ever hate those things!
When we used to live by metro mall the house I rented got those water sewer roaches quite often. Sometimes one of us would get up in the nighttime and one would be hovering on a wall over our heads! Gross!!
It took a can of Raid ((or aqua net hairspray lol-cheaper and just as deadly) and a broom to beat them with, b/c they are hard to kill and run fast.
I finally bought some pesticide and spayed the perimeter of the house and they would die if they crossed over it thank goodness.
But that wasn't the first time we had them, Ive had them in apartments in Tucson as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM

3,369 posts, read 4,191,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They supposedly come up through the sewer system. They are seasonal - summer. I have scorpions at my house and they keep down the roaches.
Sewer roaches are real - check out the link below. They generally don't "colonize" your house like other species of roaches do, but they do come inside through whatever means available. Having them around doesn't mean you're a bad housekeeper, it just means they found a way in. The best bet is regular treatments with pyrethrin-based insecticides, applied to the foundation of your home and near doors and windows. ( Pyrethrin-based insecticides only last 90 days when exposed to sunlight, hence the need for regular treatments)

In the hot weather, sewer gasses become elevated and even more poisonous, and it forces the roaches up drains or out of the manhole covers, and they look for new places to hang out. I've never seen them come out of my drains, but they seem to swim pretty well when they get flushed!

Sewer Roaches (http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Water/services/Sewer_Roaches.asp - broken link)

I couldn't find a city-of-phoenix page on them, but phoenix also uses the insecticide paint on manhole covers, you can see which covers are treated by the yellow dot in the center of the manhole cover - that's the insecticide paint.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM

5,071 posts, read 5,107,471 times
I notice them in the summer only. I have to pull my drains up in the bathrooms and tub, but not much more than that. You can't ever get away from bugs, can you? When we lived on a lake, we found grasshoppers inside during hot months. I'd just push them in a tupperware container and put them oudoors. I'm not into killing anything, but I'm weird like that, I guess.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 PM

1,128 posts, read 948,466 times
I do not enjoy killing things either, but cockroaches hold a special kind of nastiness and creepiness so that killing them is necessary!
Crickets, grasshoppers,ladybugs, etc, even some spiders I will put outside if possible.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM

10,500 posts, read 13,988,172 times
I find the sound of a cricket at night relaxing. Other bugs need not apply. Funny though I can't seem to find others that like to have a cricket in the home.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,491,939 times
LOL !! they are ALL upside down with their feet in the air in my garage. I use Demand CS (buy it on line) and spray around the perimeter of the house and in the garage. Kills em dead. Never had any in the house.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM

382 posts, read 858,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I find the sound of a cricket at night relaxing. Other bugs need not apply. Funny though I can't seem to find others that like to have a cricket in the home.
The cricket sound would reverberate so loud in our bedroom that when my son came in to try and sneak in our bed he left crying because the noise actually hurt his ears. I felt bad for the little guy, but enjoyed an empty bed lol To me they sound like the ringing in my ears when it's dead quiet.

I went out walking our puppy one evening and came across a bunch of sewer roaches and crickets on the sidewalk. Hate it! Makes me wonder if the HOA has the landscaping sprayed or not... hmmm... Had one run across our living room floor a month ago and I went out and resprayed everything. Found a couple dead outside since then, but nothing inside thankfully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area