U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,490 times
Default Relocating to Phoenix area- Where should I live?

My husband recently landed a mining job about 20 minutes outside of Superior, so we will be relocating there from Seattle in about a month. I am in the process of looking for a job and have found a position at Luke AFB that I would like to apply for. Unfortunately, Luke AFB is quite far from Superior. Any suggestions on affordable, semi-liberal, family friendly neighborhoods centrally located between these two locations? Any adivce would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM

13,515 posts, read 15,595,644 times
Centrally located between Superior and Luke AFB? That's a huge distance, and the middle is a huge area. I think you will both wear yourselves out driving if you take a job at Luke and try to live in the certer between the two. I'd keep looking, in terms of jobs for you, for something further east than Luke AFB.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,670,233 times
Probably somewhere along US 60/Superstition freeway in Mesa would be best, but it would mean about a 1 hour commute for both of you. Maybe somewhere like Dobson Ranch, which is probably the nicest community in West Mesa. He would be going against traffic to work, and you would be going against traffic after getting through downtown Phoenix. In general, stay south of US 60 in Mesa for the better communities, unless you go further into East Mesa, where there are nicer communities such as Las Sendas and Arboleda on the North side. East Mesa is generally newer. Some areas around North Gilbert may also be a possibility, as long as you are somewhat close to the 60.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:52 PM

3,220 posts, read 2,977,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4459 View Post
My husband recently landed a mining job about 20 minutes outside of Superior, so we will be relocating there from Seattle in about a month. I am in the process of looking for a job and have found a position at Luke AFB that I would like to apply for. Unfortunately, Luke AFB is quite far from Superior. Any suggestions on affordable, semi-liberal, family friendly neighborhoods centrally located between these two locations? Any adivce would be greatly appreciated!
Observer is correct. There's nothing, frankly, that makes that commute do-able -- nearly 100 miles between those two points, and 1 hour 48 minutes up to 2 hours 40 minutes, according to Google driving directions! Luke AFB is in the west side of Maricopa County, and Superior is nearly 40 miles beyond the eastern parts of Mesa, waaaaay east.

If work brings your family to Superior, you'd best find something closer to that, though the selection of jobs and salaries will be pretty meager. Best wishes to you in your search.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM

13,515 posts, read 15,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Probably somewhere along US 60/Superstition freeway in Mesa would be best, but it would mean about a 1 hour commute for both of you. Maybe somewhere like Dobson Ranch, which is probably the nicest community in West Mesa. He would be going against traffic to work, and you would be going against traffic after getting through downtown Phoenix. In general, stay south of US 60 in Mesa for the better communities, unless you go further into East Mesa, where there are nicer communities such as Las Sendas and Arboleda on the North side. East Mesa is generally newer. Some areas around North Gilbert may also be a possibility, as long as you are somewhat close to the 60.
An hour from Dobson Ranch (west Mesa) to Luke AFB is not enough, in normal commuting hours, I don't think. One little accident backing up traffic, and you are out of luck. East Mesa, places like Las Sendas, even further. To the OP-- That long a commute, together with a normal work day? That would get old very fast. I stand by what I said before, I think you need to look at other job options.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,904,837 times
I don't think you could both have those jobs and find a place where you'll both not want to rip your hair out ... then again tolerance is different for everyone else

Superior is way out there and even if you stay to the far east of mesa/gilbert into queen creek and apache junction you are looking at a minimum of 45 minute commute to superior and at least an hour + to Luke AFB (and that is with favorable traffic, if you are driving in peak hours the commute will be tough as far west as downtown/I-17 and that mark will probably push 2 hours)

I can't speak to the communities in the far east valley or to superior itself .... from reputation I'm not sure if i'd classify them as "semi-liberal", however I'd imagine they are a lot like the rest of AZ where such labels and attitudes aren't the first sign people use to identify themselves

You could look the other direction at Miami-Globe or even south towards florence or coolidge

Don't know a ton about any of those places though

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM

467 posts, read 551,037 times
We lived in Glendale, just off of the 101. Nice, safe, very clean area. Traffic isn't bad around there either. Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,904,837 times
All that is true - just a little bit more than a stones throw from Superior though, unless that stone gets picked up by a jet

Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,490 times
Default Disappointed

You all confirmed my fears...sounds like Luke is out. Thanks for your help with this.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,726,275 times
Lauren,

SO much depends on what type of place you want to live, combined with the commutes. I agree with everyone else here that a Luke job for you is probably not the best idea. You guys would never see each other.

That then brings my suggestion of where you MIGHT consider. Given that EAST OF SUPERIOR is far from everywhere, and assuming you dont want to live in the country that would make his job closer (ie Superior itself or the Globe/Miami area - both of which are mountain type towns), my best suggestion would be what is called "San Tan Valley". Its the area in Pinal County east of Queen Creek in Maricopa County. Houses here are VERY inexpensive, newer (most of this entire area has sprung up in the last 10 years), has most of the modern conveniences (Hospital, big box stores, etc) and is growing and eventually will have just about everything. This area also offers YOU commutes that though would not allow a job at LUKE, can be tolerable into places like Mesa, Chandler, Tempe etc. (about 45 mins) and your husbands commute would be just about an hour also.

The other employment option for you from San Tan if you are looking for government type jobs would be at any of the prison complexes in Florence, about 30 mins drive SOUTH from San Tan Valley so you would be going opposite traffic.

Just a thought. Apache Junction would be another choice, but I personally prefer San Tan Valley over AJ (and I dont live in either one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area