Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM

10 posts, read 39,489 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I received a Photo Radar Ticket from the City of Scottsdale for nearly $200 for going 11 MPH over the speed limit. My understanding is that there are no points associated with the photo radar tickets, even if you are served and go to court, and have to pay the fine. So, here's my question...I just learned that there are no points.I already called the court and through automated touch pad prompts extended my court date to Oct and through the touch pad, had to enter the complaint number on the ticket, and touched the prompt indicating I would go to driving school. I now realize that there is no benefit to driving school, since there are no points associated with the ticket and driving school is more expensive than the ticket. If I do nothing else, don't return the ticket with payment, don't go to driving school, and don't show up in court, would the City still need to Serve Me, given what has already transpired (re: called the court and extended the court date through touch prompts)? Also, if I am served, and have to pay the ticket, I have heard that the serving/court costs can result in essentially doubling the price of the ticket. Is that true? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,749,339 times
I would assume since you acknowledged the ticket by calling you don't need to be served. I also thought that the freeway cameras were shut down, and city cameras were a different company and would be put on your record...I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...

Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 PM

140 posts, read 465,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I would assume since you acknowledged the ticket by calling you don't need to be served. I also thought that the freeway cameras were shut down, and city cameras were a different company and would be put on your record...I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...
Correct. The city tickets could put points on your record. You can go to traffic school if you haven't attended in 2 years. In my opinion it makes more sense to make them serve you for the ticket sense there is more on the line than there was for the freeway ones. If they do not serve you in time, you get both no fine, and no traffic school, and no points. Best thing to do in the future is if you are married to register your car in spouse and vice versa. If not married, it's a little more challenging. Register your car to a PO box, or family trust, or a registered business, but still doable.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,745,361 times
The cameras were turned off, however it takes time to process the information and send tickets out. This could have occurred just before the end of them on the 101 loop. And you are correct the cities still have theirs running.

I'd pay the ticket. The state is looking for getting income from anyplace they can,,,, so they'll run all of the "no-pays" down and try to get the fines recovered.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM

10 posts, read 39,489 times
Thanks. So, to recap...Because it was a City (of Scottsdale) ticket, points Will apply? Because I already called to extend the court date, I have been considered "served" (even though the court extension was thru telephone prompts)? If I am served, then I can no longer choose to go to school with no points applied to my record?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,749,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunn72 View Post
Correct. The city tickets could put points on your record. You can go to traffic school if you haven't attended in 2 years. In my opinion it makes more sense to make them serve you for the ticket sense there is more on the line than there was for the freeway ones. If they do not serve you in time, you get both no fine, and no traffic school, and no points. Best thing to do in the future is if you are married to register your car in spouse and vice versa. If not married, it's a little more challenging. Register your car to a PO box, or family trust, or a registered business, but still doable.
Okay...do they have to serve her if she acknowledged the ticket via phone by entering the ticket or complaint # and chose traffic school? I would think that was enough by entering the number and changing the court date?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 AM

204 posts, read 625,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Okay...do they have to serve her if she acknowledged the ticket via phone by entering the ticket or complaint # and chose traffic school? I would think that was enough by entering the number and changing the court date?
I wouldn't mess around with it, I think you may still have to follow the instructions on the ticket but don't quote me. Have you considered fighting it? I know it sounds like urban myth but I fought a red light in Mesa a few years back and won without a fight.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,541,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunn72 View Post
Rather than all those ridiculous scams, jgunn . . .

Wouldn't growing up and respecting the laws of the road make more sense?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 PM

140 posts, read 465,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Rather than all those ridiculous scams, jgunn . . .

Wouldn't growing up and respecting the laws of the road make more sense?
The state set up the rules of engagement, not I. It is biased in favor of those who know the rules and know what the state can and cannot do based on the rule of law. Those who know how the state laws work do not have to suffer the cameras. The quote used to go "ignorance of the law is no excuse". So if I >DO< know the law and it has severe issues that make it ridiculously easy to within the parameters of the law make it so you don't worry about getting scammed by the cams, you bet I would advise to within the parameters take advantage of it. Note I have NEVER gotten a photo ticket since I have devices to notify me that there is a scamera coming and I can make sure and change my behavior for 1/4 mile to make sure a camera error doesn't get me flagged. I haven't even done the register the car in the spouses name yet, but rest assured the next time we get new cars, it will be done.

And research how scottsdale uses "alternate service" to bypass what is precedented state law to properly serve someone on a traffic ticket and see where the scam really lies (hint scottsdale and the cameras). Anyone who has any "issues" with registering your car in your spouses name after hearing how scottsdale feels about state "law" (and scottsdale uses that term loosely) is welcome to their opinion I suppose.

Last edited by jgunn72; 08-12-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,541,199 times
Very impressive, jgunn.

However, obeying the laws, both speed and red lights, eliminates the need for any and all of these ridiculous "scamera" avoidance scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area