Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times

Advertisements

I would shop in the local area for an agent. I had out of state American Family insurance, as I was a part-timer for a couple of years years before becoming a permanent resident. AmFam ended up being the worst price as an in-state resident. They rated one of my cars as a category 7 (or whatever they called it). My rates would have been more than double what State Farm charges me. Shop around.

The comment about out of state tags is important. I had them for a few years (part timer only). I was legal as a part time resident, but was hassled by the MVD two years in a row, because one of my cars had out of state tags (and a layer of dust). I ended up just registering it here and saving the headache, even though I fit the out of state resident requirements perfectly.

My State Farm insurance has not gone up, for whatever reason. The same car that American Family rated as a "high risk vehicle", doesn't even hit the radar with State Farm. I guess each company is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I continue to hear and watch insurance commercials, way too many of them are on the air these days. Makes me wonder if they are paying for the advertising and not providing coverage for the customers who send in premiums each year?

Geico seems to have too many commercials these days and it makes me wonder. Also there are some “online” insurance companies that are very questionable as to if and when you need their service and payments for claim damage.

I had the same independent agent for more then 20 years and the rates continued to go up even though they would find other less costly insurance companies for my coverage. My wife and I saw a commercial on TV for USAA insurance and that they were now accepting new customers who served in the military with an honorable discharge. This was a big change for them, as in the past you had to be an officer or have retired from the military. I was able to get better coverage and saved $1500 a year in premiums with USAA.

If you have an honorable discharge from the military you might want to check into USAA.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM

164 posts, read 772,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I continue to hear and watch insurance commercials, way too many of them are on the air these days. Makes me wonder if they are paying for the advertising and not providing coverage for the customers who send in premiums each year?

Geico seems to have too many commercials these days and it makes me wonder. Also there are some “online” insurance companies that are very questionable as to if and when you need their service and payments for claim damage.

I had the same independent agent for more then 20 years and the rates continued to go up even though they would find other less costly insurance companies for my coverage. My wife and I saw a commercial on TV for USAA insurance and that they were now accepting new customers who served in the military with an honorable discharge. This was a big change for them, as in the past you had to be an officer or have retired from the military. I was able to get better coverage and saved $1500 a year in premiums with USAA.

If you have an honorable discharge from the military you might want to check into USAA.
I second USAA, if you qualify. They're nonprofit, so you don't feel like they're out to just NOT pay. Just to get a quote from Ameriprise for house insurance took 30min to answer questions like type of tile, all sorts of things that were unlikely to affect the premium but all things I'm sure they'd use to NOT pay your claim if something happened (oh, well you didn't tell us it was stone tile, so we'll only pay for ceramic tile), but was only like 5 questions to get the policy issued from USAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area