Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 42,071 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Arizona next summer when the kids are out of school. We are from San Antonio so the heat won't be a problem. My sister lives in Surprise and we would like to move there or close to there. We have a few questions.
1. What school district is it and how are the schools?
2. We would be renting so are the houses affordable to rent?
3. How much does it cost to get things up and running like electirc, gas and water?
4. Can you use pools all year or just certain months and about how much does it cost for the upkeep of a pool?
5. Are there any jobs there for restaurant managers and would anyone know about how much they pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 AM

382 posts, read 1,355,388 times
1. What school district is it and how are the schools?
Dysart School District, depends on where you are, I've heard they've improved over the years, and I hope so as ours will be going here in a few years Dysart Unified School District No.89 They cover El Mirage and Surprise. My Sister-In-Laws kids go here and they certainly aren't stupid.

2. We would be renting so are the houses affordable to rent?
Depends on how much room you need and what you consider affordable. There are probably more houses for sale (and cheaper) than for rent, but should be easy to find. My friend rents a home for $900 a month that's 4bd 2 bath, she said that's a good deal, but she also doesn't live here in Surprise. Check craigslist for comparables, or call some Realtors, would probably give you a better idea on the prices.

3. How much does it cost to get things up and running like electirc, gas and water?
That depends on your credit and if you need a deposit or not. We didn't, but the last time I did (keep in mind it was many years ago) it was about $100 deposit, and we got it back eventually. Not many homes out here have gas either. APS is generally used for electric and you can find the water company on the Surprise website. Official Website - Surprise, Arizona

4. Can you use pools all year or just certain months and about how much does it cost for the upkeep of a pool?
I've heard it's about $100 a month (give or take) for pool upkeep. You can use the pool for a goodly portion in a year, all year if it were heated I imagine. City-data.com has some good temperature specs that you can look up to give an idea of when pool temps start/stop, or you could most likely google it.

5. Are there any jobs there for restaurant managers and would anyone know about how much they pay?
Sorry, can't help you on this one.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,076,812 times
I'm sure with some good hunting and a nice background you could land a job but keep in mind our economy is tight right now and has effected the kind of job you seek the most so it would be important for you to make sure the company you apply to is stable. Maybe branch out as well, store manager, etc. Widen your horizons and I'm sure with some determination you will find a job. A lot of well known eateries have closed down. So, do a little background check on the ones you are applying too. Don't want to get a job and then lose it the same year. Good Luck to you!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
#1: The Dysart school district is good but not great. They've improved significantly over the last 5-7 years. There are better and worse schools within the district, so depending on where you live, your kids might end up at a better or worse school. There are resources on-line, it's not hard to find out which schools are the better ones.

#2: "Affordable" is subjective, but, yes, Surprise is affordable. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a rental home for $800-$900 a month. If that is too high, there are also a number of apartments.

#4: Unless the pools are heated (which is not likely, but some are...), they are generally usable between mid-April through mid-October, give or take a few weeks (depending on each year's weather). It also depends on your tolarence to "cold". Also, the city of Surprise has a pretty nice community pool.

#5: There are many restaurants in Surprise and surrounding cities. I have no idea the pay for restaurant managers. But it is a good idea to have a job lined up before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area