Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,866 times

Advertisements

First I'd like to say that I have family in Scottsdale and have visited during the summer so I know what the weather and area is generally like. I've heard car insurance is really expensive, but haven't seen any numbers. Does anyone know how it would compare with Metro-Detroit prices? Next is water prices. I live by plenty of fresh water now, so water costs are fairly low. Does water cost a lot more in the Phoenix area (I know that it will cost more, it is the desert)? My last question is what are the job opportunities for those with a bachelor's in elementary education? Please note that it's going to be another 4 - 5 years before I'm looking for a full-time position. I'm hoping that I can stay in the area after college (though I will go back to Michigan if I don't like Arizona), so job opportunities are important. Michigan and Arizona are the only states where I have family so other states aren't really an option (I know the economies of both aren't good right now). I wouldn't be able to be that far away from family, especially when single (no guarantee on when I'll be married). Any other advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 05:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,594,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84thegold View Post
First I'd like to say that I have family in Scottsdale and have visited during the summer so I know what the weather and area is generally like. I've heard car insurance is really expensive, but haven't seen any numbers. Does anyone know how it would compare with Metro-Detroit prices? Next is water prices. I live by plenty of fresh water now, so water costs are fairly low. Does water cost a lot more in the Phoenix area (I know that it will cost more, it is the desert)? My last question is what are the job opportunities for those with a bachelor's in elementary education? Please note that it's going to be another 4 - 5 years before I'm looking for a full-time position. I'm hoping that I can stay in the area after college (though I will go back to Michigan if I don't like Arizona), so job opportunities are important. Michigan and Arizona are the only states where I have family so other states aren't really an option (I know the economies of both aren't good right now). I wouldn't be able to be that far away from family, especially when single (no guarantee on when I'll be married). Any other advice is appreciated
I'm from Michigan and can answer part of your question - shop-shop-shop "like the wind" for insurance here - don't stay with the same company you had in MI, unless you shop first...

I was paying over $100/month in the Detroit metro for a liability-only policy on a sportscar. My agent here charged me like $90/mo... I was happy...

After shopping around, I'm now paying about $20/mo! My wife's policy went down by over half as well, with full coverage + all the options (lower deductable, rental car, roadside assistance, etc.)

Your experience may differ if by "Detroit" you actually mean "Howell" or other further-out suburbs - Metro Detroit insurance rates were insanely high... Rural Michigan rates were awesome...

My current water bill is about the same as my Detroit bill - $50~ish for a family of 2, we don't water our lawn here.

As for jobs... well, that's tough...not much in my field, but yours could be completely different..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,010,878 times
Car insurance rates are cheap as here in AZ you can get very limited coverage. Unlike MI, you're only required to carry $10k of property damage and $15k medical.

That means the rest of us have to carry "extra" insurance for those that get the cheap rates. So, ifya get the cheap rates and someone smashes into you that also has cheap rates.......you will pay.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

We get the extra coverage.......

Lucky dog!

You're attending college here AND you have relatives in the area. You'll get to experience the Valley of the Sun for some years before you make the decision to settle down ANYWHERE.

The neat thing about it is that you'll experience the daily grind; not just enjoying it here while you're relaxing and partying.

I also lived in the metro Detroit area for 20+ years. (Brighton)

I love it here.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,594,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Car insurance rates are cheap as here in AZ you can get very limited coverage. Unlike MI, you're only required to carry $10k of property damage and $15k medical.

That means the rest of us have to carry "extra" insurance for those that get the cheap rates. So, ifya get the cheap rates and someone smashes into you that also has cheap rates.......you will pay.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

We get the extra coverage.......

Lucky dog!
My liability coverage is 100k/300k..

Coverage in Brighton costs alot less than coverage in Metro Detroit...

Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,010,878 times
Some info right here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...-michigan.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area