U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM

15,860 posts, read 18,628,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
We have a vaulted ceiling in the living room, with too many west -acing windows and too few AC ducts.

Gets hot in there, James Brown style
Same here, but its the family room. I got a thermostat where can you place a remote somewhere and use that to control temp instead of the main one, but the AC was running too much $$$. A floor fan in the afternoon helps a lot. Floor fans are noisy but they work better than ceiling fans for keeping you comfortable because you can put them right in front of you and blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM

13,506 posts, read 15,580,776 times
I prefer the vaulted ceilings because they add the illusion of space, particularly for a tall person like me. I have ceiling fans in all the rooms that get used extensively except the kitchen, and use a floor fan or two as well. My house stays comfortable at a very reasonable price, I don't think the ceilings have much to do with it one way or the other.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I prefer the vaulted ceilings because they add the illusion of space, particularly for a tall person like me. I have ceiling fans in all the rooms that get used extensively except the kitchen, and use a floor fan or two as well. My house stays comfortable at a very reasonable price, I don't think the ceilings have much to do with it one way or the other.
I like them too. They make things seem so open and airy. I have vaulted ceilings in all the rooms except a couple small ones like laundry. Vaulted ceilings were the pinnacle of tract construction! The ceiling fans suspended on long down rods and the big lighting fixtures they allow just looks cool. They are well worth whatever additional cooling costs they might have.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM

13,506 posts, read 15,580,776 times
My vaulted ceilings actually were originally POPCORN. When I had that removed and had them replastered and repainted, they looked even higher. Made me VERY happy.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
My vaulted ceilings actually were originally POPCORN. When I had that removed and had them replastered and repainted, they looked even higher. Made me VERY happy.
My first house in Ahwatukee had popcorn, but not high ceilings. Some of the houses I have seen from that era had sparkles in the popcorn as well. I wonder if popcorn will ever make a comeback.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,489,713 times
> I am terrified of the bill we will have when we buy a 2700-3500 sq ft home

Well then don't BUY a 2700-3500 sq ft home.

Seriously- in cold climates high ceilings are a problem for heating, because you have to raise the thermostat for comfort and then lose a lot on the ceiling. Heat loss or gain tends to be related to the AREA of the most lossy surface, not the volume.

But another important thing is insulation. I would focus more on that than ceiling height. Newer houses with higher ceilings are likely to have better insulation.

Finally don't forget about furnace/ AC efficiency.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 PM

1,194 posts, read 2,316,250 times
Our home is in Southeastern Florida. It is 3,100sf using a 50k BTU, 14SEER A/C unit with 11ft cathedral ceilings everywhere except the baths and bedrooms.. We also have single pane glass windows due to the shapes we wanted and the windows have a #25 tint and the tint is great....

We opted to have the most R Value the builder would supply (R30) when we had it constructed 5 years ago and we are glad we did. We keep out A/C on 73 -74 when the Florida Power and Light says keep your A/C on 78-80.... Our electric bill is the highest among a group of our friends at 325-350 / month. One of our friends has fas as we do but keeps them on all the time and their home is 1,500sf. They keep their temp at 77-78 using ceiling fans and their A/C unit is 10SEER ....Their electric bill ranges 1/2 of ours consistantly but their home is rather warm. Their A/C unit is too small to lower their temperature below 75-74 so they grew to like the higher temp........

Last edited by Synergy1; 08-19-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 AM

130 posts, read 214,313 times
Well I can say I am slightly more confused. LOL Doesnt appear to be a cut & dry answer.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Well I can say I am slightly more confused. LOL Doesnt appear to be a cut & dry answer.
Sure there is. Everything else being equal high ceiling rooms will cost more to heat and cool. Of course, nothing is equal from house to house. Number and size of windows make more difference than anything else including ceiling height.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 AM

13 posts, read 20,989 times
Default my experience with vaulted ceilings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Is it better to have high ceilings with ceiling fans or is it a wash because of having to cool more space? Or maybe it would only a difference if one was not using AC?

Being specific to the Phoenix climate that is.
I dont live in Phoenix yet, but I'll tell you my experience with 24' ceilings. In the state I live in we have to cool the house for half of the summer. During that times our ac bill skyrockets to almost $400 a month. So, with AZ being hotter than it is where I currently live, I can guarantee to you that you will be paying a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area