U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
 
374 posts, read 719,437 times
Reputation: 150

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone. My sister is in the process of relocating to Phoenix, AZ sometime before the end of the year. She just came back from Phoenix about a week ago and fell in love with the city and surrounding areas. I've lived some of everywhere, but I've never been to Phoenix so I cannot help her like I could other cities.

She has her eye on a particular apartment complex that she saw online that she is very interested in, but she has no idea about the neighborhood. We have relatives in the Phoenix metro, but they told her it might not be a good idea to live there. To make a long story short before she looks elsewhere she wants to get an opinion from someone else, being that we feel our relatives are a little biased to the location being they want her to be near them in Tempe, AZ. If anyone has any information about this location or any suggestions, please feel free to respond. Thank you so much....

17 E Ruth Ave 301. Phoenix AZ 85020, I was told that it is located near the corner of E. Dunlap Ave and N. Central Ave. near Sunnyslope Park.

Also, if that is not a good location, please suggest anything that might be good for her. She is looking for something in the city of Phoenix proper that is close to public transportation and good shopping, is safe and not crime-ridden and is in the price range of $300-$500 a month. She is a 33 year old single female with no children coming from Toledo, OH and does not own a car. We'll take any suggestions possible. Again Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,365 times
Reputation: 12
well i would DEFINITELY NOT live in sunnyslope. if she does not have a car there are reasonable rentals along the light rail depending on where she is planning to work or go to school. Anything you get below$500 a month is going to be a real pit, i can guarantee it. she will live to regret it, if she doesn't become a crime victim in that area. i would pass..... i have an apt that i am leaving around Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM
 
825 posts, read 571,917 times
Reputation: 326
Yea $500 is going to get you a ****ty place probably with crime.
$600 you can start to find some decent apartments. Try to avoid Scottsdale, NE Phoenix and Paradise Valley since they are more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:46 PM
 
3,390 posts, read 3,456,981 times
Reputation: 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Good afternoon everyone. My sister is in the process of relocating to Phoenix, AZ sometime before the end of the year. She just came back from Phoenix about a week ago and fell in love with the city and surrounding areas. I've lived some of everywhere, but I've never been to Phoenix so I cannot help her like I could other cities.

She has her eye on a particular apartment complex that she saw online that she is very interested in, but she has no idea about the neighborhood. We have relatives in the Phoenix metro, but they told her it might not be a good idea to live there. To make a long story short before she looks elsewhere she wants to get an opinion from someone else, being that we feel our relatives are a little biased to the location being they want her to be near them in Tempe, AZ. If anyone has any information about this location or any suggestions, please feel free to respond. Thank you so much....

17 E Ruth Ave 301. Phoenix AZ 85020, I was told that it is located near the corner of E. Dunlap Ave and N. Central Ave. near Sunnyslope Park.

Also, if that is not a good location, please suggest anything that might be good for her. She is looking for something in the city of Phoenix proper that is close to public transportation and good shopping, is safe and not crime-ridden and is in the price range of $300-$500 a month. She is a 33 year old single female with no children coming from Toledo, OH and does not own a car. We'll take any suggestions possible. Again Thank you in advance.
Wow, well, it depends on what sort of neighborhood your sister is used to living in. With the price range you mentioned, her options for safe housing might be extremely limited.

The Sunnyslope area is an older area of Phoenix, populated by lower middle class longtime residents of all ethnic groups, heavily Hispanic (many undocumented) immigrants, and, sadly, white tweakers. There are lovely homes built into the hillsides, too. Phoenix is an odd city, as you can't always say with certainty what a location is like - it varies even block by block.

On the whole, the crime level's nothing like Maryvale (the most dangerous area of Phoenix), but it sure isn't a dream location. If she's used to urban living and doesn't plan to be out and about much after dark, it might work for the short term.

On a positive note, it's extremely close to the bus, with a transit center, hospital, and some shopping nearby, or close by bus.

Best wishes!

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-20-2010 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,035 posts, read 2,474,479 times
Reputation: 1285
I would not live at Dunlap and Central. While the Central corridor is beautiful and very unique for Phoenix, it turns bad the closer it gets to Dunlap. Lots of crime in the area. I have a friend that lives off Dunlap and 7th Avenue and she hears gunshots almost nightly. Go on the City of Phoenix website and check out crime stats for the area. They aren't good. Honestly, I'd be petrified to live there as a single woman, or non-single woman for that matter.

The price she can afford for an apartment is really limiting. If she can bump it up to $600, she may do better. Otherwise, I'd recommend considering renting a room from someone for $300 per month in a much better neighborhood.

The

Last edited by redjan1225; 08-20-2010 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Added cross-streat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
 
374 posts, read 719,437 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Wow, well, it depends on what sort of neighborhood your sister is used to living in. With the price range you mentioned, her options for safe housing might be extremely limited.

The Sunnyslope area is an older area of Phoenix, populated by lower middle class longtime residents of all ethnic groups, heavily Hispanic (many undocumented) immigrants, and, sadly, white tweakers. There are lovely homes built into the hillsides, too. Phoenix is an odd city, as you can't always say with certainty what a location is like - it varies even block by block.

On the whole, the crime level's nothing like Maryvale (the most dangerous area of Phoenix), but it sure isn't a dream location. If she's used to urban living and doesn't plan to be out and about much after dark, it might work for the short term.

On a positive note, it's extremely close to the bus, with a transit center, hospital, and some shopping nearby, or close by bus.

Best wishes!
The apartment complex my sister lives in now here in Ohio is in a nice part of town, but the complex itself is not the best. Its about $340 a month and is closed to the Medical college, but she just found out recently that someone tried to break into her apartment and also about a month ago someone was shot and killed down the street from where she lives. She's not the type of person who hangs out late at night by herself unless she is with someone and she pretty much stays to herself most of the time.

Her only issue is being able to get back and forth to work with out any problems as well as being able to buy groceries close enough to where she lives. She is also looking into continuing her education at one of the area colleges as well. Do you have any suggestions as to what part of town she might be able to find a decent apartment close to public transportation??? She could go alittle higher on the rent, but not $700 or $800. Also, how late do the buses and the trains run???? Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
 
3,390 posts, read 3,456,981 times
Reputation: 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
The apartment complex my sister lives in now here in Ohio is in a nice part of town, but the complex itself is not the best. Its about $340 a month and is closed to the Medical college, but she just found out recently that someone tried to break into her apartment and also about a month ago someone was shot and killed down the street from where she lives. She's not the type of person who hangs out late at night by herself unless she is with someone and she pretty much stays to herself most of the time.

Her only issue is being able to get back and forth to work with out any problems as well as being able to buy groceries close enough to where she lives. She is also looking into continuing her education at one of the area colleges as well. Do you have any suggestions as to what part of town she might be able to find a decent apartment close to public transportation??? She could go alittle higher on the rent, but not $700 or $800. Also, how late do the buses and the trains run???? Thank you for your response.
Her current neighborhood and apartment sounds similar to the Sunnyslope area. Not ideal.

Here's a link to the local bus info --> Valley Metro | Welcome I'm not sure of how late buses run, but probably until close to 11 PM.

There are several community colleges, as well as universities in Phoenix, so her options are pretty open, and most colleges will have access to and information about bus routes on their websites. Public transportation in Phoenix is available, but not as convenient or widespread as it is in most other large cities. It will require very careful planning on her part.

I recommend she move someplace convenient to work, then narrow down her choices based upon bus routes.

Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
674 posts, read 1,540,072 times
Reputation: 259
Colonnade Gardens Apartments in Phoenix, AZ | Apartments.com

The Barrington Regent Apartments in Phoenix, AZ | Apartments.com

I doubt those two places are a pit and they are in decent neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 AM
 
35 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 29
As one of the relatives in question, we are certainly not biased toward her living near us (although family close by is always nice), we have simply given her suggestions based on what she's stated she's looking for.

She wants a decent place to live at a decent price, close to public transportation, and to be around young people. That's the reason we have suggested Tempe and will continue to do so. And for the record, we don't live in Tempe.

I'd also like to thank the posters in this thread for echoing what we've been saying - you may be able to get something somewhat decent in Toledo for $300 a month, but that's just not the case out here if you want to be safe. We have been suggesting $600+ a month apartments.

MaxPower, I used to run a residential program for adults with mental illness that ran out of the first apartments you posted (Colonnade Gardens), and I can attest that the neighborhood and the complex are not all that great. It's NEAR the Biltmore area, but it is a far cry from the Biltmore area. We had a client get mugged on the street in front of there, and while in a client's apartment I had a Phoenix PD officer walk in the door and tell us to lock it because they were "looking for someone" who had apparently run into the complex after committing a crime that warranted a helicopter and numerous squad cars. I can't comment on the other complex, because I don't know it.

Again, our suggestion is to come out and look around for herself. If that isn't do-able, then sign a short-term lease in Tempe and check out any other areas she might be interested in, in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 AM
 
3,390 posts, read 3,456,981 times
Reputation: 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsi View Post
As one of the relatives in question, we are certainly not biased toward her living near us (although family close by is always nice), we have simply given her suggestions based on what she's stated she's looking for.

She wants a decent place to live at a decent price, close to public transportation, and to be around young people. That's the reason we have suggested Tempe and will continue to do so. And for the record, we don't live in Tempe.

I'd also like to thank the posters in this thread for echoing what we've been saying - you may be able to get something somewhat decent in Toledo for $300 a month, but that's just not the case out here if you want to be safe. We have been suggesting $600+ a month apartments.

MaxPower, I used to run a residential program for adults with mental illness that ran out of the first apartments you posted (Colonnade Gardens), and I can attest that the neighborhood and the complex are not all that great. It's NEAR the Biltmore area, but it is a far cry from the Biltmore area. We had a client get mugged on the street in front of there, and while in a client's apartment I had a Phoenix PD officer walk in the door and tell us to lock it because they were "looking for someone" who had apparently run into the complex after committing a crime that warranted a helicopter and numerous squad cars. I can't comment on the other complex, because I don't know it.

Again, our suggestion is to come out and look around for herself. If that isn't do-able, then sign a short-term lease in Tempe and check out any other areas she might be interested in, in the meantime.
Yep, if she wants cheap housing, near a bus line, and near young people, Tempe is probably the way to go. I agree with your advice. Hope it works out for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top