Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,044,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I am not from Arizona, and when I first arrive, everyone talked a whole lot about the "Monsoons"...Anyway, I got excited and was expecting something out of this world, like a real supernatural phonomenon...However, what I now understand is this: Since it hardly ever rains here in Arizona, they consider a thunderstorm a "Monsoon"...Think of it like this:

"Monsoon" in Arizona Terminology = "Rainy day" in the other 49 states lol

So yeah, its cool, but don't get too excited.
Hey, don't rain on our parade! Regular storms don't have the wall of dust or the amount of lightning. More people die from lightning strikes here a year than other parts of the country (google it).
Give us something!lol
Oh, and all kinds of bugs from miles away get dropped into your yard, like giant beetles, during the storm. Sometimes if I leave my umbrella up it goes sailing by my window like were having a tornado! LOL: It's the only weather disturbance every year, sorry, but I do get excited and it's not just me, no no, you should see the weather man for channel twelve news, he's so excited he almost pees his pants! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM

202 posts, read 978,160 times
Do we still have a monsoon?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM

647 posts, read 3,331,848 times
Aside from the humidity and dust storms, monsoon is awesome! We so rarely get rain here that I miss it and look forward to the storms.

Microbursts can be rough and leave some serious damage in their wake, and dust storm are dangerous to drive in - think heavy fog with wind - you can't see far in front of you and the wind is really strong.

The great thing is that, like summer storms on the east coast, usually they move in around 4-ish (late afternoon), blow through and are gone fairly quickly and we're back to blue skies.

No need to be worried. After a couple years here with almost constant sunshine, you'll start looking forward to cloudy days and thunderstorms.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Do we still have a monsoon?
This is the big year, I can feel it!lol

Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,563,583 times
Pictures are awesome, look like desert hurricanes

Old 07-02-2007, 07:00 PM

54,476 posts, read 33,763,625 times
I love it when a good monsoon rainstorm hits, you'll get that cooler breeze after the storm. The bad thing about that is, when the sun comes out the next day, it'll be very humid from all the moisture, but the high temperature will be down.

I'm definitely looking for a decent monsoon also, we need it.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM

44,545 posts, read 61,229,694 times
Monsoon is described as a seasonal shift in the winds. The winds that usually blow through here are from West to East. This time of the year the jet stream is farther north of the area and it allows a shifting of the winds. That is when the winds shift from So East to No West and they stir up a huge dust cloud that can reach as high as 1000 feet and travel completely across the state, usually around 35mph. With this wind comes high humid moisture drawn from the Gulf of Mexico.
Monsoons generally occur late in the afternoon and last about an hour or so. Sometimes visibility is down to zero. If driving pull way off the road and keep your foot off the brake, so no one runs into you, untill it clears up again.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Monsoon is described as a seasonal shift in the winds. The winds that usually blow through here are from West to East. This time of the year the jet stream is farther north of the area and it allows a shifting of the winds. That is when the winds shift from So East to No West and they stir up a huge dust cloud that can reach as high as 1000 feet and travel completely across the state, usually around 35mph. With this wind comes high humid moisture drawn from the Gulf of Mexico.
Monsoons generally occur late in the afternoon and last about an hour or so. Sometimes visibility is down to zero. If driving pull way off the road and keep your foot off the brake, so no one runs into you, untill it clears up again.
Yes, please do pull over and keep your foot on the brakes so lights are bright behind you. The people who don't pull over are the ones in trouble. Since the timing of the monsoon is usually at rush hour after work a lot of people try to beat it home, bad idea, it's like a minnie sand blizzard. The bad visibility only lasts minutes.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,889,620 times
I thought it was the oppsoite...that you're actually supposed to pull over as far as you can and turn your lights off, so that other cars dont follow you and think you're still driving, then end up rear ending you.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM

44,545 posts, read 61,229,694 times
HX_Guy is correct. The DPS says to pull over as far as possible, turn off all lights, keep your foot off the brake so not one follows you and starts a chain reaction by running into you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area