Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have a friend who lives in the Laveen area and just loves it. There are some nice houses and developments there now compared to just a few years ago.

I think the problem in Laveen, if any, is that you are so very close to less savory areas of town. The criminals prey on each other for the most part and don't drive out to Laveen to kill and rob other people . And really, it is just mostly poor/working class people, not criminals who live around there. But, as an up-and-coming affluent urban professional living in that area, you will have to rub elbows with the poor and even the criminals. You will see them at Safeway, Walmart and the gas station. They will be next to you at traffic lights. Their kids are in the schools.

To be honest, though, Surprise is not much better in that regard (and the same could be said about a lot of the west valley). Surprise was just another impoverished dump until the development wave passed over a few years ago. You run into poor/working class/illegal people everywhere in Surprise. You really need to go to the east valley - places like North Scottsdale, Ahwatukee or Gilbert if you seek demographically homogeneous communities of upper middle class people.

So, if you like Laveen, go to Laveen instead of Surprise and be near friends. Having friends nearby can make all the difference in your enjoyment of life here.

Ponderosa, I have to disagree with you!! What you said in your post can be true of just about every part of the valley. Im so tired of people generalizing the "West Valley". There are many nice areas!! You will have these "poor/working class/illegal people" as well, in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, and yes, even Scottsdale. But, to each his own......

The best thing to do is what you said, take a trip. I would not live in Laveen or Surprise simply because it's just not my cup of tea. Too far out for me and I like to be more centralized. I do however, understand the need to be able to afford a home. It's hard to find something affordable for most young couples just starting out. Good luck in wherever you decide to buy!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 AM

267 posts, read 882,052 times
So for an update...well we got back from Arizona today and it looks like it will be Laveen. Surprise is very rural and just, not to my liking, at all.

I see why people say they are iffy about Laveen, but to be honest it doesn't seem bad to me. Sure it's no Scottsdale, but I grew up in Los Angeles and Laveen doesn't seem any worse than the majority of L.A..

Thanks to everyone for their input. We found a beautiful house out there and are very excited. One day down the road when we decide to have kids I'm sure we'll sell and move to a more "desirable" area of town, but for now Laveen doesn't seem bad at all!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,116,490 times
Surprise is too rural? How do you figure?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,046 times
Surprise is city that will be developed alot faster than Laveen. We have some friends that live in Laveen 75th and Basline ( I think) and they say it seems to be getting worse..... gangs, etc... Surprise has Older people, however thats not all bad =)

And yes they are building a huge development "Prasada" which is a huge mall, housing, etcc.. and they are building a little downtown - movies, restaurants right in front of the Surprise Stadium.. Good Luck
We moved from the OC last August... big change, but well worth it

Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 PM

267 posts, read 882,052 times
Well we were looking at the same builder in both areas. The home we were looking at in Surprise was almost $25,000 cheaper than the same hom in Laveen. Maybe it was just the location of the particular home in Surprise, but it was much more rural the the same home located in Laveen. I didn't check out the rest of Surprise because, honestly, neither my husband or I liked it there.

We're young and decided we would like to be closer to downtown, Tempe, and those areas. Plus, as I said in my original post, we have friends who are also moving to Laveen and that, as Pondorosa pointed out, can make all the difference in the world.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
So for an update...well we got back from Arizona today and it looks like it will be Laveen. Surprise is very rural and just, not to my liking, at all.

I see why people say they are iffy about Laveen, but to be honest it doesn't seem bad to me. Sure it's no Scottsdale, but I grew up in Los Angeles and Laveen doesn't seem any worse than the majority of L.A..

Thanks to everyone for their input. We found a beautiful house out there and are very excited. One day down the road when we decide to have kids I'm sure we'll sell and move to a more "desirable" area of town, but for now Laveen doesn't seem bad at all!
Uh...what area of Surprise did you visit? I have never heard of it described as "rural"!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 57,851 times
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MOVE AND/OR DECISIONS. I LIVE IN SURPRISE AND HAVE WORKED IN BOTH THE EAST VALLEY AND WEST VALLEY. I AM BIAS AND PREFER THE WEST SIDE TO THE EAST SIDE. I DO CHOOSE SURPRISE OVER LAVEEN. LAVEEN USED TO BE OLDER HOMES WITH HORSE PROPERTY(NICE)- IN AN EFFORT TO 'CLEAN UP' LAVEEN-NEW AFFORDABLE HOMES AND COMMUNITITIES HAVE SPRAWLED OUT OVER THE AREA- BUT THE CRIME IS GROWING AT A FAST PACE. SURPRISE I LIKE A LOT- THE CITY IS GROWING AND GOING THROUGH GROWING PAINS. I HAVE INSIDE INFORMATION THAT I WOULD NOT POST HERE(WORK RELATED). I DO NOT LIKE THE DYSART SCHOOL DISTRICT(SURPRISE). IF YOU HAVE OR PLAN TO HAVE CHILDREN IN SCHOOL- LOOK INTO THE PEORIA SCHOOL DISTRICT- UNFORTUNATELY -THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND CHARTER SCHOOLS IN MARICOPA COUNTY AND MOST ARE HORRIBLE. BEFORE PURCHASING A HOME CHECK IF IT IS IN CITY OR COUNTY JURISDICTION FOR FIRE/POLICE/MEDICAL- ALTHOUGH YOUR ADDRESS STATES ONE CITY IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU LIVE IN A CITY OR COUNTY POCKET. ARIZONA CAN BE A GREAT CHOICE-IT HAS A LOT TO OFFER. I APOLOGIZE- BUT TWIGGY IS INCORRECT - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DRIVE THROUGH EL MIRAGE TO GET OUT OF SURPRISE. SURPRISE TRAFFIC HAS INCREASED - THE CITY GREW MUCH FASTER THAN IT WAS ABLE TO ACCOMODATE- PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT BUT MANY PEOPLE WANTED THE BASEBALL STADIUM AND AQUATIC CENTER- THE MANY -TOO MANY - RESTAURANTS. LOOP 303 IS IN THE PROCESS OF EXPANDING. I DO NOT SAY MOVE TO SURPRISE- OVER LAVEEN BUT LOOK AT ALL OF THE CITIES AND YOU CAN ALWAYS DRIVE TO SEE FRIENDS. CHECK OUT OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER -ONLINE --IT WILL PROBABLY ANSWER A LOT OF QUESTIONS. Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - azcentral.com

Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM

129 posts, read 431,288 times
I'm from Arizona, I've lived there almost my whole life, and I don't even know where the heck Lavine is?! But I can tell you for sure that if Surprise is nicer or safer or ANYTHING more positive then you can bet you don't want to move there. I'm sure the houses are much cheaper, because there's nothing there but all new housing developments. Surprise is closer to civilization, but traffic coming from and going into is a mess. You'd be much better off going the 20 miles east and setting up camp in Peoria, or Glendale. That's turned into a very nice, booming area, especially around 83rd Avenue and Bell Road. Probably as nice as you're going to get without going to Scottsdale. I hope this helps you out!!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,435,949 times
The commute is the worst part about Surprise. I live in Surprise and you do not have illegals and crime and all of that like others have posted. El Mirage, near Surprise, does have these issues, but they rarely spill over into Surprise. At first I was frustrated with having to drive into another city for major attractions, but this year we break ground on three movie theatres, a mall, and a Desert Ridge-like shopping center. The new shopping centers and buildings have a lot of character. After two years in Surprise, and ten years living in AZ, I've decided that Surprise is the place for a middle class family to live. If I could afford more than 250k on a home, there are other places I would choose, but I'd definately select Surprise over Laveen.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,572,575 times
I agree with JCO. Surprise has been very nice so far. The area is nice and my neighbors have been wonderful. The new mall is coming but I don't even mind the drive to Arrowhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area