U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM

652 posts, read 1,496,199 times
The right to self defense only exists to the extent you reasonably believe the assailant is going to use that type of force on you. If you catch someone stealing your mower you legally cannot shoot them. The law values human life over material possessions.

If you do want a gun learn the law of self defense and remember that the moment you shoot someone you also become a suspect and will also be leaving the scene in a squad car.

Realistically using a gun against another human should be the last thing you ever do. I've had a CCW for over a year now and although I've been in sketchy situations I have never even considered shooting a person.

In your situation the most you would be able to do is maybe steal their lawn mower

Last edited by nickw252; 08-31-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM

652 posts, read 1,496,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Comeon FireRX.... I left one thing out...get as large a caliber handgun as you can handle. Are you in the legaleze biz? When someone enters your own property unknown to you and is a threat...you have the right to protect your property AND you won't end up in PRISON! Quit scaring people into not protecting themselves.
Coming from an attorney, and a CCW holder with a gun in his pocket you are absolutely incorrect. You NEVER have the right to use deadly force merely to protect property. A human life is worth more than a lawnmower.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,438,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
Get a dog.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM

2,730 posts, read 2,287,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Coming from an attorney, and a CCW holder with a gun in his pocket you are absolutely incorrect. You NEVER have the right to use deadly force merely to protect property. A human life is worth more than a lawnmower.
Excellent Advise

Here is a link you should take a peek at

Concealed Weapons & Permits - Arizona Department of Public Safety

Besides my CCW I've taken a couple of defensive and tactical class's well worth my time and money each
one had touched on the legal aspects....Priceless !

Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 PM

7,530 posts, read 7,086,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Maybe it's because I just discovered that someone stole my lawn mower (and some of you may recall I also had my house broken into last spring, so I'm either a moron, unlucky, or some combination of the two), but I am curious about buying and owning a gun in Arizona.

In my fantasy thinking, I imagine myself putting a decoy outside on my back porch, like maybe a nice fancy sit-down mower, so the crook will be enticed to try to snatch it. Then, once I see the crook trying to steal it, I could shoot him in the foot or arm, and then call the ambulance because I'm a nice person, and don't really want to kill anyone, even if it is a irredeemable meth-head. But then I'd probably get sued by the thief for damaging his/her ability to 'make a living', right?! Oh well.

Seriously though, I've considered getting a gun in case there's an intruder. I think if my life were in serious danger, I could shoot...and while aiming for the leg or arm, if it was God's will for that bullet to go into the thief's heart instead, then who am I to argue with God's plan?!! Since I've never owned a gun, I reckon I'd need to take shooting lessons. But do any of you own guns and have any sort of experience or advice related to guns you'd like to share? I'm just curious.

PS. I had my mower locked up but they still stole it. So what am I supposed to do, keep it in my house?! (they've already broken into that, too). But I refuse to have someone else mow my lawn when I am able-bodied...plus, I enjoy it! Anyhow, I didn't realize there's such a hot market for lawn mowers in Phoenix of all places! Geez! Live and learn! Is there nothing one can leave outdoors without fear of it getting stolen?! (BBQ, Patio Furniture, etc.)?

There are few things in life I despise more than a thief. I believe that unless I give it to you, you are NOT entitled to anything of mine.

If it were me I would definitely turn to firearms. But definitely take classes first (and don't waste time doing it).

Also, make sure of the laws in your state. In Oregon an intruder pretty much has to be inside your house in order for you to shoot in self-defense. Also, here, we're better off shooting him in the heart (as you describe); otherwise, the intruder then becomes a victim who can sue you if you "harm" him by shooting him in the leg or arm.

It's f--k'd, I know.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 PM

7,530 posts, read 7,086,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

Then your laws need to change. As they need to in other places, including Oregon. This man has a RIGHT to keep his lawn-mower locked up outside his house; like he said, WHERE ELSE is he going to put it? Meanwhile, the tweakers can keep ripping off his lawn-mowers, and everything else that they're not entitled to, and this poor guy is supposed to keep dishing out money to replace what THEY should?

For the exhorbitant costs in housing everywhere, I like to entertain the thought that we should at least have the right to protect what's OURS and what we work for. And if you're thinkig that my lawn-mower means more to me than the scum that wants to take it. . . then you thought right.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,796,492 times
go ahead and get the gun, when an intruder shows up go ahead and shoot the guy, then, wipe down a kitchen knife and put it in his hand, claim self-defense. It would be hard to prove otherwise and your version of the story is the only one the police will hear and the evidence will bear you out.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,991,920 times
Yikes!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 AM

924 posts, read 991,853 times
Get some motion sensor flood lights on your front porch. You know those lights where anyone that walks past it at night they instantly light the vicinity up and bothers the neighbors after a while. How are they going to hide from that? Even if they try to sneak into the light to steal it, more than likely someone in a neighboring house will wonder why the lights were on for such a long time. They'll check outside and see someone trying to steal what ever it is.
Don't shoot though. Neighbor's house got broken into and the father of the household grabbed a shotgun and fired a few rounds into the air at 3 am. Brought almost the entire street over. I can honestly bet some of them weren't very happy waking up to gunshots in our quiet suburban community.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 AM

9,601 posts, read 4,125,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
go ahead and get the gun, when an intruder shows up go ahead and shoot the guy, then, wipe down a kitchen knife and put it in his hand, claim self-defense. It would be hard to prove otherwise and your version of the story is the only one the police will hear and the evidence will bear you out.

That's exactly what the cops told me to do when I was robbed. {when I lived in a rented house years ago}

They said putting the knife in their hands just makes everything easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area