Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Xica,
I seem to remember a post from you where you said you do not have a fence around your lot. A fence is a big help in making sure what's in the backyard, stays in the backyard. If you don't have one, maybe you could put up a little utility area fence or a storage shed to keep things in.
Wow! I come back today after a long day at work to discover all these postings...I definitely appreciate all the advice and support. It's nice to know the sense of community goes beyond my real-life neighbors...and extends to those elsewhere in Phoenix metro and beyond, here online!

I don't have much time right now to respond to everyone, but I did want to quickly respond to your message Ponderosa because you're exactly correct (great memory, btw!). Thanks! One of the options I'm considering is getting either a fence or cement wall because I have 2 alleys(of all things!) bordering the back and side of my house. Previously, I didn't really consider it because I had other priorities at the time. But when I think of it, it's kind of a waste of an entire backyard if I can never use it for anything, isn't it? Beyond protecting things like a lawn mower, it would be great someday if I could actually have a BBQ or modest patio furniture without fearing it getting stolen. Hmmm...

PS. the funny thing is, a while ago I actually bought a bamboo-ish chair to go on my front porch, nothing too fancy...but still. However, I've kept it inside during the summer to protect it from heat. Now, I'm wondering if I can even risk keeping it outside when I'm not home? What's the cut-off point for what dollar value they'll steal with some effort? $50, $100, $200?! Would they even have the audacity to walk up to my front porch, grab the chair and throw it in a truck?! Blech. The paranoia makes my head spin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,370 times
It happens all the time I'm sorry to say. Now that you tell us that you have two alleys and not just one, you might want to consider pet rattlesnakes and jumping cactus landscaping. My next door neighbor keeps losing her solar lights in the front yard. I keep thinking, "I wonder who the hell is doing this?" I keep thinking that we (Myself and the neighbors) need some video cameras. You realize that we the good guys are on camera wherever we go.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Coming from an attorney, and a CCW holder with a gun in his pocket you are absolutely incorrect. You NEVER have the right to use deadly force merely to protect property. A human life is worth more than a lawnmower.
I don't understand this logic. I cannot protect my property? I have to cower before the criminal and call the police and hope they arrive before my property has been pawned? What is going on in this country. All laws go against the victim. Laws need to be changef.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 AM

I'm dealing with the hand I've been dealt. I find myself to be in my sixties. I would just as soon spend some money on preventatives as astronomical legal fees for a murder defense. Maybe it's time for me to move from the hood to Sun City. Maybe your right, some laws need to be changed.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
We really need Castle laws that allow us to protect our property. To me your life means nothing if you are on my property stealing my stuff. My possession that are mine are worth more to me then the life of the scum who is stealing it. Also, you better believe they will be back cuz they know how easy it is to steal from you, and I'm sure they told all their scum friends about you too. Build a fence, get a dog, and get a gun don't be a victim and protect youself.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I don't understand this logic. I cannot protect my property? I have to cower before the criminal and call the police and hope they arrive before my property has been pawned? What is going on in this country. All laws go against the victim. Laws need to be changef.
You can always protect your property but you can never use deadly force to strictly protect property. If the criminal raises the level of force used upon yourself (a human) you can respond in kind.

There is absolutely nothing in the law that says you have to cower and just let a criminal rip off your stuff while you watch him.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
guns are for personal safety not for theft, home breakins involve personal safety firarms might be an option.
be advised does not matter ,right or wrong, if you kill someone you will never forget it.
not so for a lawnmower. i love burglar bars, cheap easy to install and i dont have to kill them.
if you shoot them, the chances of not being charged with a crime and not being sued-- even in AZ-- are slim.
btw if you watch the CDF posts- a wealth of knowledge- you will see that renters dont get sued- but owners always get sued- after a home invasion shooting. that is bek owners got money.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
You can always protect your property but you can never use deadly force to strictly protect property. If the criminal raises the level of force used upon yourself (a human) you can respond in kind.

There is absolutely nothing in the law that says you have to cower and just let a criminal rip off your stuff while you watch him.
This is still tragically flawed. If I address the criminal I am possibly risking serious injury or death. Waiting for him to strike before I do is pointless.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM

I was feeding a neighbor's dogs in my neighborhood twenty years ago. I came out of her house to get in my car (in the carport) and saw a family on foot coming down the street in my direction. I opened the car door but stood and watched. Mom, Dad and four big teenagers veered off course and went thru my neighbor's front yard. The group went through her citrus trees and tore out all the fruit they could rip off (Literally). There isn't any respect for anyone's property and they know no boundaries. I think it's a culture thing. My lottery dream would be to buy on a hill in the forest in Prescott and get away from this. I have gone bonkers over this sort of thing in the past, but now I choose my fights very carefully. The police don't care much about petty crime. The uber wealthy live in gated communities and hire their own private police (security). I just do the best I can, and I don't want to shoot anyone.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,718 times
Here is a perfect example of when a property crime turned into a physical assault and using deadly force was justified:

Gilbert killing after beer robbery at Circle K justified, police say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area