Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:17 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,490,471 times

Advertisements

Well, it's true what they say: the grass is greener over the septic tank. Still, sometimes you've got to follow your heart, and if it's leading you someplece else, maybe you've got to go.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:01 PM

3,816 posts, read 9,400,546 times
If you come to Boise, bring your job with you. Really tough job market and the good jobs go to people who either brought the job with them and telecommute or go to people who are tightly networked with the people they grew up with. Boise is a great place to live, has 4 nice seasons (little cooler than Prescott but warmer than Flagstaff) and if you like outdoors stuff is second to none.

Cost of living will end up being about the same as it is in Phoenix. About the only place that I am saving any money is the cost of car insurance and gas because I do not do as much driving. Income tax and property tax is higher and there is a tax on food. Because Boise is so isolated, the cost of groceries is a little bit higher. So $100 of food in Phoenix ends up costing me about $125 (including tax) in Boise.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 PM

38,957 posts, read 50,875,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
If you come to Boise, bring your job with you. Really tough job market and the good jobs go to people who either brought the job with them and telecommute or go to people who are tightly networked with the people they grew up with. Boise is a great place to live, has 4 nice seasons (little cooler than Prescott but warmer than Flagstaff) and if you like outdoors stuff is second to none.

Cost of living will end up being about the same as it is in Phoenix. About the only place that I am saving any money is the cost of car insurance and gas because I do not do as much driving. Income tax and property tax is higher and there is a tax on food. Because Boise is so isolated, the cost of groceries is a little bit higher. So $100 of food in Phoenix ends up costing me about $125 (including tax) in Boise.
Are there any fishing/water sports lakes within an hours drive of Boise?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,240,703 times
OP, I trust you noticed that the person on this thread who was most enthusiastic about Boise listed his location as "Right Wing Paradise." I'm just sayin' ...

Old 09-04-2010, 05:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,393,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Gilbert just seems to be the background of the Flintstones, If you have ever watched the Flint Stones, the when they are driving that funky car with the stone wheels, the back ground repeats itself every 2 seconds...that's what Gilbert does..Cemented walled community, Strip mall, LDS church...Cemented walled community, Strip mall, LDS church (repeat then repeat and so on)
LOL! That is probably the best description/comparison I ever heard!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,400,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Are there any fishing/water sports lakes within an hours drive of Boise?
Fishing seems like it is an unofficial religion here in Idaho. You can go fly fishing in downtown Boise. Even met a couple of guys that will go fishing on their lunch break. Don't fish myself but I did notice that the local paper gives an update on all the hot fishing spots every week. If you ever come up here, learn to fly fish, every guy I know that fishes does it with flies.

Check out the latest issue of Outside magazine, Boise won the overall title of best outdoor city in the country. Boise sits right on the border of the high desert and the mountains. So if you go south it looks very similar to much of Arizona, go north and it is like being in Flagstaff. The one thing that Idaho is best known for is it's rivers. You can be in world class whitewater less than an hour from Boise or fly fishing in various rivers and streams.

Every upside has it's downside, Boise is the most isolated metro area of 500,000+ in the country. The next closest big city is Salt Lake City which is 5-6 hours away. This means that gas for your car costs more, food costs more, anything dependent on transportation costs more. I'm in sales and found out that there is just not enough business in Idaho to support a sales rep. Every national or regional company that has a sales force usually hires someone in Salt Lake or Seattle and then have them fly into Boise once a quarter to drum up business. In Phoenix my sales territory was basically driving up and down I-17, to generate even half as many sales here in Idaho means driving all over the state.

If you have kids the education system is a toss up. In the Phoenix area you have schools that are crappy and some that are great. But if you are an involved parent you can always find a good school to send your kid to. In Idaho you are stuck with medium schools, they are better than the worst schools in Arizona, but not as good as the great schools in Arizona. If you live in Boise, there is not much choice for where to send your kid to college. They just started a junior college in the Boise area and Boise State is essentially a 4 year junior/commuter college (but they do have a good football team). Most people that really want their kids educated end up sending them out of state for college.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,241,004 times
OK...In Boise right now...Got here just after 5 PM. Arrived in cute airport. Was very disappointed with the area around airport...its just awful looking with brown sage everywhere...dead brown grass as far as the eye can see. Checked into hotel, and went for drive in search of something pretty...once north of the airport, things got alot greener, found myself at the Greenbelt river..or whatever you call it. Very nice, lots of ducks and squirrels and the river is beauty nearly unmatched (except for my experience with Seattle Sound visits).

Will be visiting more tomorrow....wife NOT INTO THIS PLACE at all, but we only have 3 hours in so far so we shall see what Monday brings. Im caught up in this football fever thats gripped this town similar to how the Horns excite Austin Texas...Love the Orange and Blue all over. Will write more later

Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,918,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
The conservatism in Boise is fairly similar to the conservatism in Phoenix, laid back on social issues but big on gun rights, anti-tax, anti-big government.
Damn those pesky Constitutional Rights.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,241,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Damn those pesky Constitutional Rights.
PLEASE DONT TURN MY THREAD INTO AN ARGUMENT ABOUT POLITITICS

Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM

38,957 posts, read 50,875,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
OK...In Boise right now...Got here just after 5 PM. Arrived in cute airport. Was very disappointed with the area around airport...its just awful looking with brown sage everywhere...dead brown grass as far as the eye can see. Checked into hotel, and went for drive in search of something pretty...once north of the airport, things got alot greener, found myself at the Greenbelt river..or whatever you call it. Very nice, lots of ducks and squirrels and the river is beauty nearly unmatched (except for my experience with Seattle Sound visits).

Will be visiting more tomorrow....wife NOT INTO THIS PLACE at all, but we only have 3 hours in so far so we shall see what Monday brings. Im caught up in this football fever thats gripped this town similar to how the Horns excite Austin Texas...Love the Orange and Blue all over. Will write more later
Oh good. Boise is on my short list though I know virtually nothing about it. It is useful to get a straight-forward perspective on things from a Zonie (that is not a hater) like you and grmi66 did too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area